RIVERDALE spinoff on the works... a darker and grittier take on Sabrina the Teenage Witch

I think we all knew this one was just a matter of time after Riverdale:
Personally I think there is cero chance that Sabrina will show up in her own show without showing up first on Riverdale.

As a matter of fact, I suspect that they wouldn't have issued this press release if they didn't already have at least the lead role cast.

[/USER] ?

cero chance, lol...

Is this gonna be like Flash/Arrow/Supergirl? They will do crossovers or is it it's own thing?

They haven't said, but it is almost certain. They're calling it a companion show to Riverdale, so it would make little sense for the shows not to crossover.

This could be good, but it won't be.

Darker + grittier =/= the CW

Darker and grittier than the original comics would probably result in something along the lines of early Vampire Diaries. Which I would be totally OK with.

STOP FUCKING WITH MY CHILDHOOD, SON

What childhood might that be?

Original 1960s comic run or late 1990's Melissa Joan Hart sitcom?

They should bring back the same guy to voice the cat

They haven't said, but it is almost certain. They're calling it a companion show to Riverdale, so it would make little sense for the shows not to crossover.

Darker and grittier than the original comics would probably result in something along the lines of early Vampire Diaries. Which I would be totally OK with.

What childhood might that be?

Original 1960s comic run or late 1990's Melissa Joan Hart sitcom?

Comics.

Well, well, this is an interesting bit of news...

[...]

The streaming giant has handed out a sizable two-season, 20-episode straight-to-series order for an untitled Sabrina drama based on the Archie Comics graphic novel The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, picking up the intended Riverdale companion series from The CW.

Sabrina was put in development at younger-skewing broadcaster The CW in September. A casting search to play the reimagined teenage witch began almost immediately. Sources note that The CW and producers Warner Bros. Television had a list of actresses they eyed for the role. That is being revisited given the large commitment and move to Netflix.

Sabrina reimagines the origin and adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch as a dark coming-of-age tale that traffics in horror, the occult and witchcraft. It's described as in the vein of Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist and finds Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature as a half-witch, half-mortal while fighting the evil forces that threaten her, her family and the daylight world humans inhabit.

[...]

Sources say the Sabrina order is for two, 10-episode seasons that would shoot back to back with the first batch filming from February to June and second from June to October. The writers room opens Monday. A premiere date has not been determined and it's unclear how the 20 episodes will be divided in terms of rollout.

That Netflix would invest so heavily in Sabrina should come as little surprise. The streaming giant has SVOD rights to Riverdale, the noir teen drama about Archie (K.J. Apa), Betty (Lili Reinhart) and Veronica (Camila Mendes), and began streaming all 13 episodes of the first season after their run on The CW. Riverdale — which was originally developed for Fox before moving to The CW — became a summer breakout for Netflix, which in turn helped to boost the sophomore season of the show in the fall. Riverdale's Oct. 11 season two debut grew a whopping 60 percent from its midseason series debut nine months prior, adding to the evidence of the impact SVOD deals have on linear viewership.

Now I'm picturing something along the lines of The Vampires Diaries, but with Netflix-level nudity and violence. And if they cast eye candy on the same level as Riverdale...

Last edited:
WAit so the Riverdale CW series is in the same Universe as Melissa Joan Hart's SAbrina the teenage Witch?

What about the Clarissa Explains it all? ARe they in teh same universe too?

Isnt Riverdale much more raunchy with teen sex and stuff?

Casting breakdowns for the Spellman family:

[SABRINA SPELLMAN] Female, Open ethnicity, legal 18 or 18+ to play 16. Sabrina is an empowered young woman, half-human, half-witch, struggling to reconcile her dual natures. She is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain some semblance of a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High. Sabrina’s intelligent, compassionate, and brave to the point of recklessness. She challenges witch-doctrine at every turn. She is fiercely loyal to her family and friends; wickedly funny; and in the middle of a star-crossed romance with her classmate Harvey Kinkle. Sabrina is all that stands between us and the Forces of Darkness that threaten our world. SERIES LEAD.

[HILDA SPELLMAN] Female, late 30s to early 40s, All Ethnicities. Hilda is the kinder of the Spellman sisters who are raising Sabrina, though her nurturing nature belies a more ruthless side. She is a healer, a potion-maker, sweet-as-pie until you cross her or anyone she leaves. Operating the local funeral home, the sisters hide their witchery from the world while teaching Sabrina spells and incantations at home…ASP SERIES REGULAR

[ZELDA SPELLMAN] Female, late 30s to early 40s, All Ethnicities. Zelda is the harsher of the Spellman sisters who helped raise Sabrina, though her sternness and tough facade might be hiding a more…mothering soul. Unlike Hilda, Zelda claims that she has never known love—her devotion to the Dark Lord is all-consuming—which is why people looking for a love-potion go to Hilda; those looking to make a spite-jar go to Zelda…ASP SERIES REGULAR

[AMBROSE SPELLMAN] Male, early 20s, African American or East Indian, British. Ambrose is Sabrina’s “cousin” and a necromancer. He is witty, puckish, pan-sexual—and loves being a witch. Trapped in the funeral home due to a binding spell, Ambrose lives in the mortuary’s attic and acts as one of Sabrina’s partners in crime…10/13 SERIES REGULAR

Interesting. It seems that instead of Salem the cat they're going to have this Cousin Ambrose filling his role as Sabrina's confidant.

Will fwap to Veronica sex scenes. Hopefully with that black football player.

An announcement about the casting of the lead may be imminent, if I am interpreting this tweet by the show runner right.

And we have a winner...

Netflix has found its Sabrina. Mad Men and Feud: Bette and Joan alum Kiernan Shipka has been tapped to star as the titular heroine in Netflix’s upcoming original series based on the Archie Comics graphic novel The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

[...]

Shipka will play Sabrina Spellman, an empowered young woman, half-human, half-witch, who is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High. Intelligent, compassionate and brave to the point of recklessness, Sabrina is all that stands between us and the forces of darkness that threaten our world.

Originally in development at the CW as a potential companion to Riverdale, also based on characters from Archie Comics, the untitled Sabrina project landed a 20-episode, two-season, straight-to-series order at Netflix early last month.

[...]

“We’re all such huge fans of Kiernan’s work that when we started talking about who this new incarnation of Sabrina could be, her name was on everyone’s wish list,” said Aguirre-Sacasa. “This is a darker, more macabre version of Sabrina, and we’re incredibly excited for people to see Kiernan make this iconic character her own.”

Goldwater added: “I am thrilled that Kiernan is playing Sabrina and have no doubt that she will embody the strength, courage and boldness that has made the character a fan favorite.”

Shipka most recently appeared opposite Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange in FX’s hit event series Feud: Bette and Joan as B.D., the strong-willed teenage daughter of Bette Davis (Sarandon). She is perhaps best known for playing Sally Draper on seven seasons of Emmy-winning drama series Mad Men. She was recently cast in a starring role in horror director John Leonetti’s next feature The Silence from Constantin Film and EMJAG Productions.

OK, I'm not at all familiar with her work, so someone else will need to fill me in on her acting chops. At least she looks the part.

tjyjibseh0ibxa38vk6d.jpg

And we have a winner...

Netflix has found its Sabrina. Mad Men and Feud: Bette and Joan alum Kiernan Shipka has been tapped to star as the titular heroine in Netflix’s upcoming original series based on the Archie Comics graphic novel The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

[...]

Shipka will play Sabrina Spellman, an empowered young woman, half-human, half-witch, who is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High. Intelligent, compassionate and brave to the point of recklessness, Sabrina is all that stands between us and the forces of darkness that threaten our world.

Originally in development at the CW as a potential companion to Riverdale, also based on characters from Archie Comics, the untitled Sabrina project landed a 20-episode, two-season, straight-to-series order at Netflix early last month.

[...]

“We’re all such huge fans of Kiernan’s work that when we started talking about who this new incarnation of Sabrina could be, her name was on everyone’s wish list,” said Aguirre-Sacasa. “This is a darker, more macabre version of Sabrina, and we’re incredibly excited for people to see Kiernan make this iconic character her own.”

Goldwater added: “I am thrilled that Kiernan is playing Sabrina and have no doubt that she will embody the strength, courage and boldness that has made the character a fan favorite.”

Shipka most recently appeared opposite Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange in FX’s hit event series Feud: Bette and Joan as B.D., the strong-willed teenage daughter of Bette Davis (Sarandon). She is perhaps best known for playing Sally Draper on seven seasons of Emmy-winning drama series Mad Men. She was recently cast in a starring role in horror director John Leonetti’s next feature The Silence from Constantin Film and EMJAG Productions.

OK, I'm not at all familiar with her work, so someone else will need to fill me in on her acting chops. At least she looks the part.

tjyjibseh0ibxa38vk6d.jpg
She played the daughter on Mad Men. Grew up during the show. Apparently she’s 18 now. Gonna be really weird fapping to Sally Draper.

Back