RIVERDALE spinoff on the works... a darker and grittier take on Sabrina the Teenage Witch

JadeOwl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think we all knew this one was just a matter of time after Riverdale:

One of Archie Comics’ most popular characters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, has been conspicuously missing from the CW’s Archie-themed drama series Riverdale. Now she is getting her own series.

The CW has put in development The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina, eyed as a companion series to Riverdale for the 2018-19 season. It comes from the same team as Riverdale: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. TV, with Aguirre-Sacasa, who penned the Riverdale pilot, and Lee Toland Krieger, who directed it, reprising their roles on the Sabrina pilot.

A dark drama in the horror genre, The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina is worlds away from the bubbly 1996 Sabrina, the Teenage Witchcomedy series starring Melissa Joan Hart. The new project reimagines the origin and adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch as a dark coming-of-age story that traffics in horror, the occult and, of course, witchcraft. Tonally in the vein of Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist,this adaptation finds Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature — half-witch, half-mortal — while standing against the evil forces that threaten her, her family and the daylight world humans inhabit.

[•••]

With The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina, the CW is following a different model, the one it used for Arrow companion The Flash, which filmed a standalone pilot. The lead character, played by Grant Gustin, did appear on Arrowbefore launching his own series. That may also happen with Sabrina on the upcoming second season on Riverdale though that is still TBD.

Personally I think there is cero chance that Sabrina will show up in her own show without showing up first on Riverdale.

As a matter of fact, I suspect that they wouldn't have issued this press release if they didn't already have at least the lead role cast.

Let the speculation begin! What say you @Dragonlordxxxxx ?

That would at least make more sense than the Riverdale spinoff.

Isn't Dove Cameron the frontrunner for Sabrina? Or that's just what her fans are clamoring.

She seems to be the fandom's go to choice and she may be campaigning for it (remember that Instagram post I linked a while back).

But leaving that obvious choice aside... who else might be a good fit?

Because given the tone of Riverdale, I'm expecting that Sabrina will have an early seasons The Vampire Diaries vibe. So they have to bring their A-game on the eye-candy.

But leaving that obvious choice aside... who else might be a good fit?
There's so many new and relatively unknown actresses out there, I think The CW will nail it with its casting.

But if you're asking my choices, give me some time to think about it. I'm still finishing up my review of Kingsman 2.

They've done that (kind of) in comic form. Look up 'Afterlife with Archie'. A spell gone awry pretty much causes a zombie apocalypse in Riverdale.

Edit: Interesting. It seems they're basing this pilot off of the comic (with the same namesake) written by Sacasa, who also wrote Afterlife with Archie.

Last edited:
Well I'm an idiot and never knew Sabrina was an Archie character. I never read Archie, but watched Sabrina. I almost thought this was a joke thread before I found out how real it was.

I look forward to the highly attractive females they cast for this show...and nothing else.

Never knew that was a comic character. Life is complete now.

Is this gonna be like Flash/Arrow/Supergirl? They will do crossovers or is it it's own thing?

They did this...it was called The Craft. It was not very good.

This could be good, but it won't be.

Darker + grittier =/= the CW

Dark and gritty sex scenes with that chick who played Veronica ...... all fucking day bro!

Back