Rivalries in K-1's golden age?

The bad boy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What rivalries existed between the fighters in the golden age of K-1 (1993-2000)?

It seems as though everyone got along rather amicably, at least from what I can tell through the old videos of the day. Pretty much the exact opposite of fake beefs between fighters to "sell fights" in the UFC.

The only one I can think of was Sam Greco and Stan the Man Longinidis. They trained together for a bit in Australia, then Sam called Stan out (thought he was better) and they fought, so that seemed like a genuine rivalry.

17s_Stan.jpg

ACA-400-_0003_Sam-Greco.jpg

Were there any others?

Aerts vs Bernardo
Oh yeah, that was a good one. Mr dutch "666" vs the super religious south african. Aerts didnt give him any respect, he said if he was in shape he would have won every time (despite losing 3 times against him lol)

All the heavyweights knocked each other out at some point or another, but there never seemed to be any heated rivalry.

Oh yeah, that was a good one. Mr dutch "666" vs the super religious south african. Aerts didnt give him any respect, he said if he was in shape he would have won every time (despite losing 3 times against him lol)
one of those losses is due to a low blow that's like saying Matsui has a win over Rampage.

one of those losses is due to a low blow that's like saying Matsui has a win over Rampage.
Thats funny. I dont remember matsui doing this to the defending champ in the finals GP. lmfao

jju5vd.jpg

One of the best rivalry matches is: le Banner vs Cyril Abidi

Hoost vs Aerts, Aerts vs Schilt

Nicolas pettas vs alexei ignashoff. Correct me if i'm wrong but what i rememberd there was no love lost between those two...

Andy and Bernardo
RIP both warriors
That was an epic rivalry, but I dont think there was any bad blood. They always hugged afterwards and were respectful of each other. Rest in peace.

That was an epic rivalry, but I dont think there was any bad blood. They always hugged afterwards and were respectful of each other. Rest in peace.

you re right , no bad blood between them

How about Reem vs Badr ? There was something there it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back