RIP Vinnie Paul

jdionio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
https://www.billboard.com/articles/.../vinnie-paul-dead-pantera-damageplan-hellyeah

Drummer Vinnie Paul, co-founder of metal band Pantera, has died. Currently a member of Hellyeah, Paul was 54.

His representative confirmed the legendary drummer’s death to Billboard, but added that no further details are available at this time.

Along with his brother, Dimebag Darrell, Paul (born Vincent Paul Abbott) formed Pantera in 1981. The group found mainstream success with second lead singer Phil Anselmo. Throughout its career, Pantera earned four Grammy nominations and charted nine albums on the Billboard 200, including its 1994 album Far Beyond Driven, which debuted at No. 1 on the chart.

Following Pantera’s demise, the Abbott brothers formed Damageplan in 2003. The band was performing on Dec. 3, 2004, when Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage during a concert in Columbus, Ohio.

Since 2006, Paul was the drummer for Hellyeah, a heavy metal supergroup that also includes Mudvayne vocalist Chad Gray and Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell.

Born in Texas, Paul credited his Lone Star roots for his powerful groove. “The Texas thing is part of it, growing up on a healthy dose of ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I also was a metal-head from day one. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, all my favorite bands had really great grooves to their music,” he told OnlineDrummer.com a few years ago.

Damn, that really sucks. No doubt he is jammin with Dime again. RIP Vinnie.

This has been an absolutely shitty week for deaths. Feels like 2016 all over again.

What a damn shame...

Hopefully him and Dime are jamming in the here-after.

RIP Vinnie.

Forever a Pantera fan Fucking Hostile forever.

Saw that earlier. RIP. I saw them live in 2000 (I think), when they were on tour with Satyricon. Great concert.

God fucking dammit....
Woke up to this .
Absolutely gutted .
One of my favourite bands of all time.
No matter what has been said about Phil and his ,let's say baggage..
But for what Vinny had to go through after that night in Ohio. One of the most fucked up things in music .
Influential, pioneers and uncompromising in their approach..

But let's not forget just how fucking brilliant they were, Vinny and Darrell were pantera and between the drums and dimes epic riff creating this is just a total gutting way for their legacy to end..

Well rest in peace Vinny..
I hope the cowboys from hell are in heaven. With the volume turned up to insane level and they are making the heavens shake ...

This sucks. Glad I saw Hellyeah last summer and got to see him play one last time.

I've always said that Vinnie Paul had one of the most powerful drumming styles out there. Now we will never have a Pantera reunion :(

RIP

One of my favorite drummers.

Not great news to wake up to this morning. Pantera was my first metal show. RIP.

Sad to lose him, but at least he and his brother are playing the concert to end all concerts now.

I remember when I saw Damageplan in MA about a month before Dimebag was killed, that was really something, they closed the show with Walk and brought the house down.

Damn man, I've been going through some hard times lately and have been getting back into metal. Been listening to a lot of Hellyeah, then I woke up to this on my way into work. What a fucking terrible thing, I knew he was partying hard... But, I didn't think it was the end for him- He still looked fine man. Fucking bullshit dude.

Fuck. Back with his bro at least. RIP.

1443534131_tumblr_m9a5hxbmVT1r9huebo4_500.gif

86c9ca5731aef2783a28a4d19a9d453b.gif

Wonder why they left out he was in Rebel Meets Rebel?

Vinnie Paul was an amazing drummer and proud native of Texas. Kicking those double bass pedals all the way to heaven. Condolences to your family

Fuck man... Reign in Peace Vinnie!

Back