RIP Paul Allen

I don't want to sound insensitive, but it's kind of a shame he died of cancer and not by an 80's yuppie wielding an axe

giphy.gif

Good sports owner. Knew what made a good team. RIP

I don't want to sound insensitive, but it's kind of a shame he died of cancer and not by an 80's yuppie wielding an axe

giphy.gif

I always found it distracting that a character in the story shared a name with a major 80s corporate magnate.

It's like making a fictional movie about basketball in the 90s and having a guy called Scottie Pippen.

Anyway, RIP to the real Paul.

An Indian is gonna replace him.

*checks link

Well, shit...They already have an Indian CEO.

An Indian is gonna replace him.

*checks link

Well, shit...They already have an Indian CEO.
He's done about as well as anyone could ask once he realized the Windows Phone was going nowhere. That was a cash suck for a good while. Then they realized the Surface hybrids were their way forward in the touchscreen OS space. It's been much smoother sailing since then.

We'll ignore the Windows 7 subscription fiasco. Just don't talk about it.

Apparently he didn't have access to the technology that kept Jobs alive with pancreatic cancer for 7 years after first being diagnosed. Seems like he was a nice guy and a visionary of sorts, not to mention a generous
man.

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies of cancer at age 65

Allen's sister, Jody, said he was "a remarkable individual on every level."

"While most knew Paul Allen as a technologist and philanthropist, for us he was a much-loved brother and uncle, and an exceptional friend. Paul's family and friends were blessed to experience his wit, warmth, his generosity and deep concern," she said in a statement. "For all the demands on his schedule, there was always time for family and friends. At this time of loss and grief for us – and so many others – we are profoundly grateful for the care and concern he demonstrated every day."

He was first diagnosed with cancer in 1982 so he had a good run.

He's done about as well as anyone could ask once he realized the Windows Phone was going nowhere. That was a cash suck for a good while. Then they realized the Surface hybrids were their way forward in the touchscreen OS space. It's been much smoother sailing since then.

Was Paul involved with those?

How can you defend Satya Nadella?
Everything you do in Windows 10 is being spied on and uploaded to Microsoft. They force junk software on your box like Candy Crush and other "suggestions" that you never wanted. Then there's the bullshit where they upgraded people to Windows 10 without their consent and made it increasingly difficult to deny the update. They fired their QA testers and use us, the consumer, to be the beta testers for their patches. The bullshit when you try to install a different browser.
Would you like me to continue?
If you don't think a Windows subscription service is coming, you're nuckin futs. The Windows team has already been broken up and reorganized under their cloud team.

He was first diagnosed with cancer in 1982 so he had a good run.

My mother was diagnosed in the same year. Same kind of cancer, too.

Gotta go.

Have to make a phone call.

How can you defend Satya Nadella?
Everything you do in Windows 10 is being spied on and uploaded to Microsoft. They force junk software on your box like Candy Crush and other "suggestions" that you never wanted. Then there's the bullshit where they upgraded people to Windows 10 without their consent and made it increasingly difficult to deny the update. They fired their QA testers and use us, the consumer, to be the beta testers for their patches. The bullshit when you try to install a different browser.
Would you like me to continue?
If you don't think a Windows subscription service is coming, you're nuckin futs. The Windows team has already been broken up and reorganized under their cloud team.
Because I don't see that as distinctive of him. Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon, and Twitter have been no better.

In Nadella's defense he has an actual dog to f**k, here. Piracy is a major threat to Microsoft in a way it isn't to any of those other corporations. Has it been any different in games, Jeff? You know it hasn't. Hell, Giant Bomb gave out a GOTY shame award a few years ago: "Stop shipping incomplete games". That is the industry's modus operandi, now. Everything is released incomplete, and patched in real-time.

I'm also confused because I just criticized the Windows 7 subscription which is why I jokingly said, "Let's not speak of that." What's the alternative, btw? Linux? The company that just SJW'd their namesake founder?

I'm defending his business record. Microsoft has done a lot better since his strategy shift.

Back