Crime Riots over gas prices in France. At least 2 dead, 600 injured.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20181210/ma...orms-in-hope-of-calming-yellow-vest-rebellion

French President Emmanuel Macron gave a 13-minute speech to the nation on Monday evening in a bid to appease the yellow vest protesters. Among the measures he announced was a rise in the minimum wage and a cut in taxes for pensioners.

The minimum wage has been raised by a hundred euros a month (I made some quick and crude maths, it's a raise of about 0,64 euro per hour, 0,72 dollar). It seems like the companies won't have to pay more, the bonus will come from a raise of the "prime d'activité", paid by the State.

He canceled his raise of taxes for retired people who get less than 2000 euros a month, and cancelled all taxes and contributions on overtime work. He also mentioned a tax free bonus that companies will be allowed to give their employees at the end of each year, but it's not mandatory.

There has been no real political announcements. Some people asked for proportional votes for the MP elections, he mentioned adapting the voting system but staid pretty vague.

It's not yet clear if Yellow Vests will think it is enough, as it won't change much for the active lower-middle class, but people at minimum wage will for sure appreciate it. Reminder, the gas taxe had already been canceled for a year last week.

A great little video on Macron and what's really going on in France.

They are protesting immigration, gas tax, and losing their jobs.

Macron thinks he can crush the protests with extreme violence !

Well that's not really what he said. From the article....

Macron - whose approval rating is at an all time low, says he has asked his government to increase wages by 100 euros per month beginning in January as part of a series of new measures to be released in detail on Tuesday. He also announced that overtime hours won't be subject to payroll tax, and that his administration will scrap a tax hike on poor and low-income retirees.

Reads like he's conceding a lot of the proposed demands.

Ha funny how the "protest over gas prices" has turned into a Bernie Sanders platform.

Me thinks they weren't protesting gas taxes.

Me thinks they are protesting the theft of the middle class standard of living by stagnent wages, and inflation.

Ha funny how the "protest over gas prices" has turned into a Bernie Sanders platform.

Me thinks they are protesting the theft of the middle class standard of living by stagnent wages, and inflation.

The MSM is now in full, the riots are right wing Russian puppets mode now.

Remember this all began with SMALL TOWN NATIVE FRENCHPEOPLE who were sick of being taxed into poverty so immigrants can have better benefits than they get.

Left can't have that

Remember this all began with SMALL TOWN NATIVE FRENCHPEOPLE who were sick of being taxed into poverty so immigrants can have better benefits than they get.

Left can't have that

I don't ever mean to dismiss the impact immigration has on the value of labor, but I always feel the need to point out that global trade plays a larger role in this.

I will attempt to put some guesstimate numbers on weighting the downward pressure on the West's standard of living.

Immigration - 20%
Global trade - 30%
Technology removing the need for labor - 20%
Inflation - 30%

Our perfect storm for the destruction of the western middle class.

I don't ever mean to dismiss the impact immigration has on the value of labor, but I always feel the need to point out that global trade plays a larger role in this.

I will attempt to put some guesstimate numbers on weighting the downward pressure on the West's standard of living.

Immigration - 20%
Global trade - 30%
Technology removing the need for labor - 20%
Inflation - 30%

Our perfect storm for the destruction of the western middle class.

The immigration means that there will never be another western middle class again.

Those worker strikes after the second war really pissed of the elites. They couldn't stand being forced to give the 'scum sucking people' living wages

It's now ensured that in one generation, people will have forgotten what our western middle class was. As we are overrun by 3rd worlders looking to leech off of our western system until it's dry

Left can't have that

Wut ?

I'm french, it begans on FB not in a small town of native french people.
Btw immigration is the less discussed topic in these riots, you muricans are so much into your alt right Vs sjw bs that you see the world only by this point of view.
The problem is mostly economic, with ploutocrats paying less taxes and middle class paying all the taxes. Add to that an arrogant asshole as a president, and our french "révolutionnaires" mentality, you understand easily what's happening.

To all the alt-right propagandists posting bs here, you're liars or ignorants.
Fermez vos gueules.
Merci.

The immigration means that there will never be another western middle class again.

Those worker strikes after the second war really pissed of the elites. They couldn't stand being forced to give the 'scum sucking people' living wages

It's now ensured that in one generation, people will have forgotten what our western middle class was. As we are overrun by 3rd worlders looking to leech off of our western system until it's dry

Yeah, I can see it. Where when people bring it up, it will be dismissed as something from the past, that can't come back, like the millions of manufacturing jobs that were lost to low wage labor markets.

Wut ?

I'm french, it begans on FB not in a small town of native french people.
Btw immigration is the less discussed topic in these riots, you muricans are so much into your alt right Vs sjw bs that you see the world only by this point of view.
The problem is mostly economic, with ploutocrats paying less taxes and middle class paying all the taxes. Add to that an arrogant asshole as a president, and our french "révolutionnaires" mentality, you understand easily what's happening.

To all the alt-right propagandists posting bs here, you're liars or ignorants.
Fermez vos gueules.
Merci.

Lol oh man. Who'd you vote for on the French elections?

Globalism has created a great deal of wealth. For the upper class. Everyone else is just falling. Instead of building up the 3rd world, we've been making the working and even middle classes in the developed world poorer. Again, patience would have been better with globalism

Globalism has created a great deal of wealth. For the upper class. Everyone else is just falling. Instead of building up the 3rd world, we've been making the working and even middle classes in the developed world poorer. Again, patience would have been better with globalism

Yeah basically if you look at what happened in France, big companies are not paying taxes ( "fiscal optimisation"), all the benefits go to Luxembourg and they just keep the minimum in France branch, shareholders are getting year after year more dividends and benefits, and well, workers are fucked.
This is why not lot of people in France care anymore about immigration when we're speaking about economy, we are all well aware about what's really happening.

Yeah basically if you look at what happened in France, big companies are not paying taxes ( "fiscal optimisation"), all the benefits go to Luxembourg and they just keep the minimum in France branch, shareholders are getting year after year more dividends and benefits, and well, workers are fucked.
This is why not lot of people in France care anymore about immigration when we're speaking about economy, we are all well aware about what's really happening.
Makes complete sense. The elite aren't paying taxes but are bringing in cheap labour and a committed voter base. In the meanwhile Average Joe is getting taxed to death to provide for the elite, their cheap labour force while they getting settled in and their newfound vote base. But yeah, why would they care about migrants? I think you only see what you want to see.

I agree with you on the rich aspect. Corps and all pay as little as they can get awayvwith and demand massive subs or tax breaks to stay .
Byt immigrants squeeze you from the bottom. They coincide with the destruction of wages and the powerlessness of unions. They tax social welfare and make things more expensive like housing. My home county has a lot of immigrants. All that has come from that, is that there are huge areas that have poverty and awful schools, despite it once having top 10 schools in the US once. Now there are a lot more dangerous areas, and rents/housing is unaffordable if you don't want to live in a terrible area. Immigrants are part of the problem, esp when they come in large numbers

DuHuzRNWoAUYP4p.jpg

Swedish preschoolers take to the streets to show sympathy with the yellow vests in France :p

Last edited:

Left can't have that

The American/Anglo-Saxon right wing pundits are now in full too ;)

It's very hard to say how much anti-immigration fueled (pun intended) those riots. It's clearly important for a good part of the protesters, but we cannot say that it is the majority. There are no leaders and the main and only clear issue (gas tax) has already been canceled last week. Bringing back the fortune tax has been discussed far more than immigration.

I'm sure some brave Antifa freedom fighters will be along to attack them shortly.

You do realize that antifa and far left groups are parts of the Yellow Vests too, right? I literally met Philippe Poutou with a yellow vest on Saturday, he's the leader and previous Presidential candidate of the New Anticapitalist Party, formerly known as Revolutionary Communist League. His most famous moments was when he tore Le Pen and Fillon a new asshole during the first presidential debate. Yet he was demonstrating freely and nobody was hostile to him.

Last edited:
Back