Ringside Physicians propose stopping fights after signs of a concussion

Gaethje better retire soon, his fights won't last long if this is implemented.

I just remember Lyoto v Rockhold.
Lyoto was in all sorts n shouldn't have continued the (2nd round I think).
And this is probably the type of case that the physicians are thinking about
Hypothetically not specifically
Where a guy is for all intents and purposes KO'd on the stool, and gets sent back out there.
I imagine that the logic also extends to fights where the corner likely should have thrown in the towel or stopped between rounds and didn't because of the culture of the sport.

Exactly my thoughts. It sucks to have guys go the way of Gary Goodridge, but they're the ones choosing to go in there and put their well being on the line.

Stopping fights after the first sign of a concussion will pretty much just turn them into a 'who gets hurt first?' contest. As soon as someone gets rocked, they obviously won't know where the fuck they are. This will be the epitome of an early stoppage.

If the new rules were in place BJ Edgar 2 would have been stopped right here for concussive symptoms

UNnlclN.gif

PositiveBalance would probably travel to Vegas and literally murder a commission member

then justin gaethje about to have alot of doctor stoppage losses

<{katwhu}>

Exactly. MMA = brain damage. That should be the starting point. If a guy is getting battered then throw in the towel, stop the fight whatever. Too many MMA fights go on way too long. JDS vs Cain, for example.

Perfect example.

I don't think JDS has ever really been the same since being put through the meat grinder twice by Cain.

Exactly. MMA = brain damage. That should be the starting point. If a guy is getting battered then throw in the towel, stop the fight whatever. Too many MMA fights go on way too long. JDS vs Cain, for example.

There's figure skating on Channel 4, see ya.

Go for it. Huge for the safety of fighters. Fans might not be too happy if a fight gets called because of a headache, BUT what fighter is honestly going to disclose that anyways?

Complete bullshit.

Too much fucking regulations and what people should do with their body.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/...-release-new-guidelines-cte-brain-health-news

Association of Ringside Physicians release new guidelines for concussion care in MMA and boxing

On July 26th the Association of Ringside Physicians (ARP), a non-profit and non-government organization of primarily fight doctors, released a consensus statement titled Concussion management in combat sports through the British Journal of Sports Medicine. The statement includes definitions and clarifications over what constitutes a concussion, an assessment of current medical suspensions and return to sport (RTS) protocols in combat sports, and a new set of guidelines that the ARP would like to see instituted to create, what the organization believes, would be a safer environment for combat athletes.

To have fights end after signs of concussion (i.e. after a fighter is ‘rocked’ in a round and then tells a doctor in the corner that he can’t remember what happened or what day it is) instead of when a fighter is unconscious or unable to defend themselves, would demand everyone involved in combat sports to adjust their expectations and redefine their understanding of how a fight is won or lost.

“A culture shift is probably one of the hardest things to do and that’s why we need exposure and education,” said Neidecker. “We’re seeing things slowly take a turn in other sports. The NFL is a prime example of this, but they’re still having their struggles and having their hard times. But things have definitely gotten better. I can say that for sure. So again it’s just more education. It’s more exposure, it’s just kind of getting the word out there. It will take some time, but I think as we learn more and more about this injury, and we are still learning a lot more about it, the culture will follow.”

• 30/60/90 day suspensions for TKO and KOs should be expanded to not only bar a fighter from competition, but also from sparring.
  • All fighters, including the winners of a bout, should receive an in-ring/cage examination and a backstage examination by ringside physicians to look for signs of concussion.
  • Fighters should return to non-contact and conditioning training one week after TKO or KO losses and then adopt a return to fighting protocol that includes a gradual progression of intensity.
  • Zero sparring or competition if an athlete is experiencing any signs and symptoms of concussion.
  • If a fighter is exhibiting signs of concussion during a bout, the fight should be stopped. These signs include, but are not limited to headache, confusion, blurred/double vision, nausea/vomiting and balance/gait issues.
Go watch Tennis.

If they don't want concussions they can go be janitors or whatever it is they'd be doing if they weren't fighting.

Frankie would have absolutely not gotten the chance of coming out for a second round in Maynard 2 and 3, and that's my main gripe.

Shit, TJ might have also not gotten cleared to come out for a second round against Cody. Imagine that.
That might be true but not wanting fighters to be evaluated to ensure they are neurologically fit to continue simply because you want to see them maul each other some more is not a legitimate reason. There is not a sport where our entertainment should trump safety of athletes.

And that's a fair point to make, because in MMA more than in boxing (it feels like at least) we see dramatic and drastic momentum swings from round to round.
But this isn't some deep long term neurological exam, this is self report
A better critique is that in the article the physician suggests a couple questions like "What round is it" which is foolish for MMA because fighters rarely seem to know what round it is even when they're winning "What day is it?" is better because the answer should essentially always be saturday and if you don't know that then you're probably more fucked up than you should be out there fighting.

The point is, this suggestion isn't nearly as dramatic as people seem to think it is. The main point is that the referee wouldn't be the only person allowed to stop the fight. With some tweaking and education this policy, at least seems to me, to be perfectly reasonable.
So it'd be kind of like what happened with Weidman when he tried to play the rules against Mousasi? Except instead of this being prompted after a potentially illegal strike, it's something done in between rounds? If it's a simple question, in between rounds, that doesn't interfere with the corner giving advice and the cut-man, then I don't mind.

So it'd be kind of like what happened with Weidman when he tried to play the rules against Mousasi? Except instead of this being prompted after a potentially illegal strike, it's something done in between rounds? If it's a simple question, in between rounds, that doesn't interfere with the corner giving advice and the cut-man, then I don't mind.

As far as I gather from the article, it's something that they'd do between rounds yes

Let the fawkin doctors stick to given the Silvas and the joneses dick pills and let the pugilists pugil!!!

Back