10. AJ
11. Valdez
12. Usyk
13. Jermell
14. Jermall
15. LSC/Nietes
17. JFE
18. Pacman/Dogboe/BJS

I don't know how they rationalize SSR at #7, Valdez at #11 (well, we know why Valdez is that high on ESPN's list), or Wilder in the top 10 (Joshua shouldn't be there, either, but it makes a little more sense).

I don't know how they rationalize SSR at #7, Valdez at #11 (well, we know why Valdez is that high on ESPN's list), or Wilder in the top 10 (Joshua shouldn't be there, either, but it makes a little more sense).
there's a lot about ESPN that doesn't make sense. The ESPN system is an aggregate of who votes, and there are two or three guys who rate Valdez weirdly high, so that's probalby why he's so highly ranked. I like the kid, and he might legitimately end up on the concensus P4P list one day, but this is absurd. As for Wilder, well, I think you're being harsh on the #5 AT HW here Jay, right @TownBiz ?

I also think Inoue is probably a spot or two too high. Kid's super talented, but his resume is filled with solid b-tier guys. Grnated, it's across divisions, but he's going to need to win this tournament to be truly A-level IMO.

there's a lot about ESPN that doesn't make sense. The ESPN system is an aggregate of who votes, and there are two or three guys who rate Valdez weirdly high, so that's probalby why he's so highly ranked. I like the kid, and he might legitimately end up on the concensus P4P list one day, but this is absurd. As for Wilder, well, I think you're being harsh on the #5 AT HW here Jay, right @TownBiz ?

I also think Inoue is probably a spot or two too high. Kid's super talented, but his resume is filled with solid b-tier guys. Grnated, it's across divisions, but he's going to need to win this tournament to be truly A-level IMO.

From the outside looking in it would appear that Valdez is there because ESPN is in business with TR. Same reason Broner was top 5 p4p according to Ring at one point.

From the outside looking in it would appear that Valdez is there because ESPN is in business with TR. Same reason Broner was top 5 p4p according to Ring at one point.
that's probably it TBH. Also explains hte lack of Pulev.

I honestly can't see Canelo as a pfp

Why is Kovalev still on the list?
I'm finding myself questioning that too. I don't think it's outrageous to still have him top ten, but after looking like ass in the Ward rematch, he's faced Shabranskyy (actually not a bad fighter) and mikalkhin, who wasn't much. He's facing Alvarez next, which is a return to the right direction, but I wasn't blown away by Sergey's resume to begin with, and a lot of what he had was going off of the fact htat a lot of people thought he beat Ward. His chance at vindicating that was promptly flushed down the toilet and a lot of the flaws in his game were exposed. I think it's fine to have him 8-10, but there's been a lot of movement over the past few months which has left Kov's relevance to the P4P discussion dwindling a bit.

I actually think Ring made some good changes here. In a weird way, Golovkin kind of gets cheated out of credit for fighting a p4p'er if he's fighting Alvarez next. So, Alvarez hurts Golovkin's own standing? Kind of. I know what I mean anyway. I think Golovkin is as hard as pretty much anyone to defeat. But on what's been proven and achieved, I can't have him top three. It's not all his fault, but what's deserve got to do with it?

1. Loma
2. Crawford
3. GGG
4. Canelo
5. SSR
6. Spence
7. Inoue
8. Mikey
9. LSC
10. Thurman

Guys like Gassiev, Usyk and the Charlos could creep into the top 10 soon.

I'm finding myself questioning that too. I don't think it's outrageous to still have him top ten, but after looking like ass in the Ward rematch, he's faced Shabranskyy (actually not a bad fighter) and mikalkhin, who wasn't much. He's facing Alvarez next, which is a return to the right direction, but I wasn't blown away by Sergey's resume to begin with, and a lot of what he had was going off of the fact htat a lot of people thought he beat Ward. His chance at vindicating that was promptly flushed down the toilet and a lot of the flaws in his game were exposed. I think it's fine to have him 8-10, but there's been a lot of movement over the past few months which has left Kov's relevance to the P4P discussion dwindling a bit.
No one else on the list has even fought someone as good as Ward so I don't think he should be penalized that much. He doesn't have a ton of amazing names on his record, but most people don't right now either.

Also regarding Thurman, he had two great wins in a row (although both very close) but he practically fell off the face of the earth since. It's hard to include him till he makes a comeback.

Last edited:
The Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) decided to start publishing their own poll-based P4P rankings last August. This means we now have 5 major or so-called “official” P4P lists; The Ring's, BoxRec's, ESPN's, the TBRB's & the BWAA's. The Ring's rankings have been viewed as the authoritative list around the world for many, many years. The BWAA and TBRB (along with their own divisional rankings) are looking to change this. Some will naturally be less subjective than others due to their criteria, number & diversity of voting members on each panel, even down to how often they update their lists (the TBRB updates every week, on Tuesdays, which I like).

I found a Wikipedia page that will help keep track of all 5 major lists. Unfortunately, updates could potentially take up to a week or more (Wiki contributors are volunteers after all). If you scroll to the bottom of the page it shows when it was last edited/updated.
This page was last edited on 10 June 2018, at 09:41.
Here's the link → https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_pound_for_pound_rankings

Last edited:
The Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) decided to start publishing their own poll-based P4P rankings last August. This means we now have 5 major or so-called “official” P4P lists; The Ring's, BoxRec's, ESPN's, the TBRB's & the BWAA's. The Ring's rankings have been viewed as the authoritative list around the world for many, many years. The BWAA and TBRB (along with their own divisional rankings) are looking to change this. Some will naturally be less subjective than others due to their criteria, number & diversity of voting members on each panel, even down to how often they update their lists (the TBRB updates every week, on Tuesdays, which I like).

I found a Wikipedia page that will help keep track of all 5 major lists. Unfortunately, updates could potentially take up to a week or more (Wiki contributors are volunteers after all). If you scroll to the bottom of the page it shows when it was last edited/updated.

Here's the link → https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_pound_for_pound_rankings
you might be able to reference boxingscene too. They tend to do a good job of giving attention to less famous but equally deserving fighters. I don't think anybody other than TBRB had JFE on any lists before his loss to SSR, while I though he deserved a top 10 spot

certainly more credible than ESPN's IMO

you might be able to reference boxingscene too. They tend to do a good job of giving attention to less famous but equally deserving fighters. I don't think anybody other than TBRB had JFE on any lists before his loss to SSR, while I though he deserved a top 10 spot

certainly more credible than ESPN's IMO
Yep. When I came here a couple years ago I posted some BoxingScene P4P lists myself. Problem is that Cliff Rold hadn't been updating it regularly so I stopped using them altogether for a bit. He offers good explanations and, as you said, doesn't forget about the lighter weight fighters that are deserving. The one gripe that I have with BoxingScene's list updates is that they're not dated.

Back