Ring updates its P4P: Rigo, Canelo out, Usyk, Nietes in

The pool is rather shallow but that isn't SSR's fault. All 5 major lists have now been posted plus BoxingScene's. SSR should be Top 3 on every single one and #1 on at least some of them. He's done the most recently, back to back to back in just his last 3 fights alone.
No, I mean the list overall. Frankly, his 3 wins are the best of anything on the P4P list.

Dude, sor defeating chocalito twice is yuuugeee.

And I would say Errol Spence over Kell brook is significant
Meh, Kell Brook is the most overrated fighter of the past 10 years.

Seems that way recently. I'm starting to think its just a pretty poor era of P4Pers. Look at the lists here, no one even really has a signature win on the list.
I think there are a couple. Loma's win over Linares is pretty significant. Usyk's win over Briedis skirts the line between significant and just very good. Thurman over Garcia is significant. Crawford has some good wins, you might be able to argue the win over Postol is significant enough to be a "signature win," though I will admit his opponents look worse and worse as time goes on with very little exception.

I agree it's weaker than the Pac/Mayweather era, but it's hard to compare to those guys, who were beating at least titlist quality guys every time out.

No love for Thurman? Beating Garcia and Porter? Boxrec has Garcia over Thurman? Lol. Flawed system, obviously.

The Ring has Kov on their list but not Thurman.

No love for Thurman? Beating Garcia and Porter? Boxrec has Garcia over Thurman? Lol. Flawed system, obviously.

The Ring has Kov on their list but not Thurman.
I think boxrec dropped thurman due to inactivity (pretty strict one year rule from what I remember). That'd be pretty absurd otherwise.

I do think Thurman's getting slept on and he's beaten an underrated list of WWs, but it's been over a year since he last fought and with his constant injuries, it feels like he's just about to fall apart :(

Last edited:
I think boxrec dropped thurman due to inactivity (pretty strict one year rule from what I remember). That'd be pretty absurd otherwise.

I do think Thurman's getting slept on and he's beaten an underrated list of WWs, but it's been over a year since he last fought and with his constant injuries, it feels like he's just about to fall apart :(

The TBRB just updated their lists again minutes ago. With them it's every Tuesday.
Latest Updates
12 June 2018: *** Former heavyweight king Tyson Fury comes back after a two-and-a-half year layoff for a “let’s see what I’ve got left” kind of fight -and does not reenter the rankings. Four rounds against Sefer Seferi, a fighter who has never been mentioned as a possible contender, is simply not enough for the majority of the voting members on the board.

More important is the possibility that the emergence of Fury’s successor may be imminent: If/when #1-ranked Anthony Joshua and #2-ranked Deontay Wilder fight, it will be marketed as a “unification” bout but would actually be for The Heavyweight Championship of the World -which is necessarily singular and has nothing at all to do with unifying nonsense.

Terence Crawford makes a thunderous debut into the lion’s den that is the Welterweight division by dominating and then doing away with #4-ranked Jeff Horn in the ninth round. Teddy Atlas had previously shut down the hype around Horn and got it right yet again. Horn drops to #10 and Crawford enters at #2 –right behind Errol Spence Jr. The powers that be should take note: Spence-Crawford would crown the true, historical Welterweight King. Make the fight.

Crawford can’t win ‘em all: He lost a return to the #1 spot of the P4P List by only four votes. Lomachenko remains at the top, but these two are neck-and-neck no matter which you prefer. Boxing is lucky to have two great fighters active and at their peak. If Lomachenko faces and defeats Mikey Garcia for the lightweight throne and Crawford fights and defeats Spence for the welterweight throne, which is better? That’d be akin to choosing between The Godfather I and The Godfather II.

Meanwhile….

Jr. Welterweight Maurice Hooker exited the rankings in April due to inactivity but proved his mettle by derailing Terry Flanagan’s debut in the division. He is now #9. Ivan Baranchyk is unfortunately bumped out, but it’s pretty certain that beast will be back. Jr. Featherweight Diego De La Hoya stops Jose Salgado in the seventh round and advances from #9 to #8. Strawweight Melvin Jerusalem was bumped out last August, but fights his way back into the rankings with a TKO win over Philip Luis Cuerdo and bumps out Xiong Zhao Zhong. ***
http://www.tbrb.org

Hard to see how Golovkin can be #1 at the moment. Crawford, Lomachenko, and Sor Rungvisai are the three with the best claim for being #1.

Personally, I would have Sor rungisval or Crawford has number 1.

Both have the most prominent victories on the list

The closer you get to considering the #1 spot, the more one's subjectivity emerges. Anyone in the top 3 or so have a fair claim, amd the only thing that separates one over another is personal preference for criteria.

SSR only fight fit for #1. Roman and JFE were the cream of the crop and he is 3-0 vs the 2 of them in his last 3 fights. Incredible run. Makes TC and Loma look like scrubs "resume wise" by comparison. Those were two very established names he took on and snagged W's off. Jeff Horn? Who we never heard of before Pac? Flash in the pan Indongo who got steamrolled by unproven Prograis? Linares, Anthony DeMarco's signature win? Gonzalez took the P4P #1 spot rightfully when Mayweather retired, and got roughed up 2x's by SSR and JFE is only man to treat Gonzalez like an equal before that. THOSE are sig wins.

Sorry. But how is SRR/Canelo not 1 and 2 respectively if we are doing this by resume?

https://www.ringtv.com/ratings/?weightclass=251

Honestly, not a terrible adjustment.

1. GGG
2. Loma
3. Crawford
4. Mikey
5. Inoue
6. SSR
7. Spence
8. Kov
9. Nietes
10. Usyk

ring mag is the best list, fair, recognized worldwide

espn is inconsistently scattered with good judges and some very pro american bias judges..
& since there's no absolute criteria for PFP
looking at these lists, i'm quite sure the judging also factors in fighter's overall careers, not just their recent performances
that's why GGG is at the top, & kovalev is still on the list

right now, 3-4 guys can be considered #1

so the potential PFP king will
either be lomachenko or garcia if they fight
crawford vs spence
or GGG if he decisively beats canelo
or inoue if he wins the WBSS
don't see sor rungvisai .. him beating gonzales like that is impressive, but he also lost to cuadras a few yrs back
honestly, he doesn't have anywhere to go up from his position.. unless he moves up in wgt class

ring mag is the best list, fair, recognized worldwide

espn is inconsistently scattered with good judges and some very pro american bias judges..
& since there's no absolute criteria for PFP
looking at these lists, i'm quite sure the judging also factors in fighter's overall careers, not just their recent performances
that's why GGG is at the top, & kovalev is still on the list

right now, 3-4 guys can be considered #1

so the potential PFP king will
either be lomachenko or garcia if they fight
crawford vs spence
or GGG if he decisively beats canelo
or inoue if he wins the WBSS
don't see sor rungvisai .. him beating gonzales like that is impressive, but he also lost to cuadras a few yrs back
honestly, he doesn't have anywhere to go up from his position.. unless he moves up in wgt class
I'm not sure I agree on SSR. It's true he lost to Cuadras a while back, but that was 4 years ago, about the same time as Loma lost to Salido. The fact of the matter is that SSR has the best recent run without question (and he also beat Sato a while back, who isn't elite, but does show that he was of a certain quality for a while). If SSR gets one more quality win (a JFE rematch or even just a unification with Anjacas, Yafai or the Nietes/Palicte winner) then I think he'll be set as #1.

That'll be better than anybody else's body of work for the forseeable future (unless TC unifies at WW, Loma/Mikey happens, or Inoue clears out the WBSS BW tournament easy), all of which will take mroe time.

I'm not sure I agree that Ring's list is best either. I'd say TBRB's is better TBH, though I do think Inoue is too high and I don't have a spot for AJ yet. Spence is a respectable option but I think it's a bit early for him too, other than Brook, he doesn't really have anybody a-level (Peterson is good, but not the kind of guy I would write home about).

Canelo is #1, Crawford should be #2, then SSR.
U got to ask @ironfist05 about the little guys tho. I generally don't pay too much attention to people I can step on.

Canelo is #1, Crawford should be #2, then SSR.
U got to ask @ironfist05 about the little guys tho. I generally don't pay too much attention to people I can step on.
Honestly, I don't see it too far off, though I have Canelo lower.

My top 5 is something along these lines:
1. TC
2. Loma
3. SSR
4. GGG
5. Canelo
but I have the top 3 largely interchangeable.

If you want little guys worth the ranking (I'll define as sub 126ers), then you have JFE, SSR, Inoue, and Nietes that are viable candidates for a top ten list. After that, you have a couple guys I'd point to if they produce one more big win in their divisions: Rigo, Burnett, Ken Shiro, Menayothin. I'd say Budler, but I didn't think he should have gotten the win over Taguchi and I don't see much in the way for him in that division from here on out, we'll see with him.

then some guys who are gonna need some time but could end up on a list in the future: Ancajas, Dogboe, Tete, Manny Rodriguez and maybe Dalakian and Oubaali all look like promising guys, but need some big wins before they're ready to be rubbing shoulders with the big boys.

What? Why do you think that?
because AB was about billions, and totally deserved that #5 P4P spot after dominating Paulie for the WBA regular title

correction: IS about billions

ESPN releases new P4P list:

1. Loma
2. TC
3. GGG
4. Spence
5. Mikey
6. Inoue
7. SSR
8. Kov
9. Wilder
10. AJ