Ring Magazine worth buying anymore?

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've been tempted to pick one up but can't see any point in buying one these days other than nostalgia: Anything worth getting it for?

I buy one occasionally only for the "Perfect Execution" section which is written by Bernard Hopkins and features great tips for young boxers.

It honestly depends man. Honestly I say try picking up issues every once and a while and if you see yourself reading over all of them over and over, then yeah go for a subscription.

It has gone downhill bigtime since being bought out by Golden Boy Productions. If you need a laugh, read what they say about any Golden Boy fighter. The historical and Hopkins articles are the best things about the rag.

I like to think its more credible because the ring belt is worth more than all the others.

I still pick it up from time to time, it annoys me when ever there is a piece on a british boxer, the writing is terrible feels so biased

I used to buy Ring, KO and the other 2 sister publictions every month from like 1996 to about 2003, but I think it's fallen off since GB bought it too.

Now I don't know if they still do this bc I havent picked one up since around '07 but they always had a section with an old article from the 70's or earlier and they showed the rankings and everything from that time. That was always interesting to me.

Plus they'd have an article on an old-time boxer almost every month that was a new article and I liked that as well.

If they still do that then it might be worth it, but TBH what really pisses me off is the last time i bought one, 4 years ago, it cost me 8.95 and that's a little steep if you ask me

I still get it monthly, they quit doing perfect execution which is a damned shame

buy it if it has a nice or memorable cover. When i was a young kid I used to buy magazines (any kind) based on the cover and once they left circulation I would flip them for profit.

Once I had a mag I paid a few $$ on the newstand and 3 months later I sold it for $200

Z9Zn3.jpg

I still get it monthly, they quit doing perfect execution which is a damned shame

Yeah, I noticed that in the past few issues they haven't been including that section. :(
I do hope they bring it back eventually.

I buy it, it's a historical record and since boxing isn't in the newspapers anymore the future boxing historians will have to dig up old copies of the ring and the few remaining magazines for information on the fights not headlining the shows.

buy it if it has a nice or memorable cover. When i was a young kid I used to buy magazines (any kind) based on the cover and once they left circulation I would flip them for profit.

Once I had a mag I paid a few $$ on the newstand and 3 months later I sold it for $200

Z9Zn3.jpg

That's one of the best covers the Ring magazine has had in my lifetime.The Hitman in his prime holding the machine gun is epic.

Perfect Execution with Bernard Hopkins was awesome. Was useful for fans that have never trained in boxing either in learning some of what goes on in the ring.

I've got a digital subscription - as the cost of the magazine subscription for the UK is taking the piss - but mostly it's for the hall of fame section, and one or two of the writers. I can't stand Jeff Ryan and his smug attitude towards fighters at times, or the worsening bias towards Golden Boy Promotions.

I like the mag, I've been buying it my whole life.........until lately. Plus, it's like $9 now! I remember as a kid paying about two or three bucks!

Back