Rigondeaux after the Bell

nastyleft

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Okay guys. This might stir things up a little. I was reading something about protecting oneself at all times in a boxing match and its the refs resposibility to let guys know the round is over. Maybe @RR or a couple of other trainers on here can shed a little more light on this subject.
First a little background of where "Protect yourself at all times" came from:

Back in amateurs I believe started the phrase, "protect yourself at all times", in reference to keep fighting until the referee breaks you up, because there may be other outside distractions, sounds, bells, whistes, that may lead you to lower your guard, but the only thing you can trust is the Ref in your ring to tell you when to relax and go to your corner.

This was prompted by the fact that many times in prelims in amateur tournament format there are other fights going on in the same gym or arena, (3-4 rings in the same vicinity). Even in the Olympics. And there would be bells goings off in other rings signaling the end of the round in the fght next to yours, while your round is still live. And the command was to protect yourslef while in the ring at all times until told by the ref by stepping in between both fighters. Essentially don't think about what you hear, pay attention to what you see. I've read also that the bell at the end of the round isn't for the fighters, it's actually for the referee to know that the round has ended and to physically step in to stop the round. That tapping 10 seconds before would be for the ref to prepare to stop the round. I've even heard a ref counting down from 10 to himself getting ready to jumpin on the bell..
And if you notice in the amateurs especially, the bell would ring but the kids stay right there with their arms up until the ref signals round is over.

With that being said, who is more at fault?:

Rigo for the late punch; when it didn't look egregiously intentional with intent to be dirty?

The referee for being out of position to step in quick enough at the bell, after he was warned by the 10 second tapping of the wood board before the bell?

Flores for not protecting himself until the referee stepped in?

Last edited:
Dont know what the right call should be, but the man should go up to 126 already so he can get guys to agree to fight him.

Rigondeaux fouled him, so it's Rigondeaux's fault.

Flores' fault too if indeed he was play-acting. I don't think you can say it's his fault for the reason that he allowed himself to get fouled. A foul's a foul.

The referee was a little slow but nothing too negligent.

Okay guys. This might stir things up a little. I was reading something about protecting oneself at all times in a boxing match and its the refs resposibility to let guys know the round is over. Maybe @RR or a couple of other trainers on here can shed a little more light on this subject.
First a little background of where "Protect yourself at all times" came from:

Back in amateurs I believe started the phrase, "protect yourself at all times", in reference to keep fighting until the referee breaks you up, because there may be other outside distractions, sounds, bells, whistes, that may lead you to lower your guard, but the only thing you can trust is the Ref in your ring to tell you when to relax and go to your corner.

This was prompted by the fact that many times in prelims in amateur tournament format there are other fights going on in the same gym or arena, (3-4 rings in the same vicinity). Even in the Olympics. And there would be bells goings off in other rings signaling the end of the round in the fght next to yours, while your round is still live. And the command was to protect yourslef while in the ring at all times until told by the ref by stepping in between both fighters. Essentially don't think about what you hear, pay attention to what you see. I've read also that the bell at the end of the round isn't for the fighters, it's actually for the referee to know that the round has ended and to physically step in to stop the round. That tapping 10 seconds before would be for the ref to prepare to stop the round. I've even heard a ref counting down from 10 to himself getting ready to jumpin on the bell..
And if you notice in the amateurs especially, the bell would ring but the kids stay right there with their arms up until the ref signals round is over.

With that being said, who is more at fault?:

Rigo for the late punch; when it didn't look egregiously intentional with intent to be dirty?

The referee for being out of position to step in quick enough at the bell, after he was warned by the 10 second tapping of the wood board before the bell?

Flores for not protecting himself until the referee stepped in?

Rigo was guilty of holding and hitting but the last punch was close enough to the bell not to be considered a foul. It was a punch in motion. I'd say Flores is at fault because it looked like he was faking it. If he was so hurt he would have dropped like a sack of potatoes not scooch his ass toward the canvas to blunt his fall when he laid down.

Honestly I don't think it was anyone's fault. It was close enough to where it's believable Rigo didn't do it intentionally. I do agree with the people saying Flores faked it so I don't feel bad for him at all.

In terms of the general concept, and I know this may be hard for some to believe, but a lot of times guys don't hear the bell. For example Danny doesn't really listen for it. You'll here Dre start yelling times out once the round gets inside a minute. E's a complete opposite, E actually will look (it's one of the few really bad habits he has) and check himself. Jermall Charlo does that too. Jermell wants his corner to let him know the same as Dre does for Danny but they start with 30 seconds instead of a minute.

The ref has to be in position though. Good refs will also tell guys when there's 10 seconds left verbally because it gives them a clock in their head. It's also why you tell fighters if they hear the bell not to immediately turn their back and head to the corner which surprisingly about half of the fighters do

Honestly I don't think it was anyone's fault. It was close enough to where it's believable Rigo didn't do it intentionally. I do agree with the people saying Flores faked it so I don't feel bad for him at all.

In terms of the general concept, and I know this may be hard for some to believe, but a lot of times guys don't hear the bell. For example Danny doesn't really listen for it. You'll here Dre start yelling times out once the round gets inside a minute. E's a complete opposite, E actually will look (it's one of the few really bad habits he has) and check himself. Jermall Charlo does that too. Jermell wants his corner to let him know the same as Dre does for Danny but they start with 30 seconds instead of a minute.

The ref has to be in position though. Good refs will also tell guys when there's 10 seconds left verbally because it gives them a clock in their head. It's also why you tell fighters if they hear the bell not to immediately turn their back and head to the corner which surprisingly about half of the fighters do
Psychologically fighters want to get the last punch in so it's important to protect yourself after the bell.

Psychologically fighters want to get the last punch in so it's important to protect yourself after the bell.

Exactly and they are also taught to finish their combo sequences. It's just natural to them. It's very hard for a guy to just stop and pull a punch short

As a Rigo fan that was depressing I waited so long for another fight and I got this mess…

Rigo after the bell would be a good talk show though for after he retires.

I blame Flores for pulling the worst acting job and attempting to get a DQ.

Protect yourself at all times...keep your guard up...

Some of the Flores advocates are making it seem that rigo sucker punched him with his back turned...

They were in the middle of an exchange.

Seriously, fuck cheaters like Flores.

And if you're down with Flores, fuck you too.

I blame Flores for pulling the worst acting job and attempting to get a DQ.

Protect yourself at all times...keep your guard up...

Some of the Flores advocates are making it seem that rigo sucker punched him with his back turned...

They were in the middle of an exchange.

Seriously, fuck cheaters like Flores.

And if you're down with Flores, fuck you too.
Bud? Relax. in the WR too

As a Rigo fan that was depressing I waited so long for another fight and I got this mess…

Rigo after the bell would be a good talk show though for after he retires.

Lol thought the same thing except it could be a title to his bio.

It's like Rigondeaux turns every boxer that has something to do with him to a coward.

Last edited:
I liked the KO ruling, but NC is fine, too. The rules are the rules, but the exchange was initiated before the bell, they both threw til the last shot landed, and Flores tried to steal Rigo's 0 through acting. So when Vic ruled the fight a KO, I was happy tbh.

Lol thought the same thing except it could be a title to his bio.
I am thinking it would be like Conan and Mayorga could be Andy dick. House band would be some cubano band
I would watch the shiZz out of thazz

Exactly and they are also taught to finish their combo sequences. It's just natural to them. It's very hard for a guy to just stop and pull a punch short
Right I brought the subject up because i know half of the guys are so focused that they don't hear a bell.

Right I brought the subject up because i know half of the guys are so focused that they don't hear a bell.

I don't think a lot of boxing fans realize this

I lot of boxing fans aren't athletes that have seen high level competition

That's an understatement. It's cool though. Fans are fans for better or worse. I like the input. Somebody may see something I don't

Back