Riding the Bus!!!

I think they ought to close off traffic to everything but buses in downtown areas of major metropolitan areas to relieve traffic and incentivize people to take public transportation.

I think one measure of the relative size and sophistication of a given metropolis is that of the egalitarian nature of public transportation. In DC, you see Colonels and White House staffers taking public transportation to get to work in the morning, right alongside construction workers and retail staff. There's less of a stigma associated with buses and trains as a result of its convenience and availability.

I think they ought to close off traffic to everything but buses in downtown areas of major metropolitan areas to relieve traffic and incentivize people to take public transportation.

I think one measure of the relative size and sophistication of a given metropolis is that of the egalitarian nature of public transportation. In DC, you see Colonels and White House staffers taking public transportation to get to work in the morning, right alongside construction workers and retail staff. There's less of a stigma associated with buses and trains as a result of its convenience and availability.

Unfortunately most transit systems are poorly managed making it difficult for people to get to work on time. I picked up a coworker who lost his license. He was going to take the bus but they started running at 6AM. The bus routes met at the transfer station downtown every hour where he would have to transfer to another bus to get to our employer which got there at 7:35. It was impossible to get to work at 7 AM. It was a 5 minute drive from where he lived to where we worked and I went within a few blocks of his house on my way to work.

Where are @Clippy and @Roca. There had to be some fun times riding the short bus to school.<Moves>

I have a nice car but I ride the bus or metro everyday in the city. There is traffic, lack of parking, or very overpriced parking to avoid.

Unfortunately most transit systems are poorly managed making it difficult for people to get to work on time. I picked up a coworker who lost his license. He was going to take the bus but they started running at 6AM. The bus routes met at the transfer station downtown every hour where he would have to transfer to another bus to get to our employer which got there at 7:35. It was impossible to get to work at 7 AM. It was a 5 minute drive from where he lived to where we worked and I went within a few blocks of his house on my way to work.
Where do you live?

There is a chicken and egg situation with public transportation in many American cities with not enough riders to justify earlier hours and routes while not enough routes and limited hours equals not enough riders.

Take my new home of Seattle. ONE line in a city the size of D.C. which has a very extensive network to relieve congestion.

In my day to day commute, I walk everywhere. It's under 2 miles to my office, and I can take a train if the weather is bad, so I can avoid buses entirely now.

When I was younger I would take the fung wah and later boltbus to manhattan from Boston (cost 10-20 dollars) a couple times a year. I hated it though, drivers got lost, buses broke down, I was always hungover and on pills so I wanted to vomit. Maybe that last part wasn't the bus's fault.

Anyway, now I take Amtrak to and from New York, its very expensive if booked on short notice but the most comfortable way to make that trip, in my opinion.

Where are @Clippy and @Roca. There had to be some fun times riding the short bus to school.<Moves>

I did take a bus to school and for some reason it was shorter than all the other buses but it wasn't for the retards, they said it was just the only bus they had left.

Wait a minute...

I take the bus to work all the time now unless I need my car for something.
I could drive myself in traffic for 15min or I can just sit there for 40min and sip coffee and play on my phone or spy on the weirdos on the bus. The bus stop is like 1 minute from my house and the bus is never busy so I don't have to sit near people. It's great.

I did take a bus to school and for some reason it was shorter than all the other buses but it wasn't for the retards, they said it was just the only bus they had left.

Wait a minute...

I take the bus to work all the time now unless I need my car for something.
I could drive myself in traffic for 15min or I can just sit there for 40min and sip coffee and play on my phone or spy on the weirdos on the bus. The bus stop is like 1 minute from my house and the bus is never busy so I don't have to sit near people. It's great.
They have cars in Poland?

are street cars and subways in the same category? i justify it by being a 1%er who rather suffer through 20 mins of smells than 1hr of traffic and the dreadful finding of a parking spot.

but if i lived in a low density city, fuck the bus -- thats the chariot of the poor and depressing.

I ride the bus every day to and from work. It's nice not having to deal with traffic, parking, and inevitably someone opening their door into mine and fucking up my car.
It does suck when I have to stand because fatties are taking up two seats. And it does add time to my commute.
But I ride a special commuter bus that's specifically there to shuttle people like me from the suburbs to downtown. The city buses that everyone else rides are shitty and dangerous.

Where do you live?

There is a chicken and egg situation with public transportation in many American cities with not enough riders to justify earlier hours and routes while not enough routes and limited hours equals not enough riders.

Take my new home of Seattle. ONE line in a city the size of D.C. which has a very extensive network to relieve congestion.

That's the problem in many cities. Any changes will affect current riders and it can take time for the public to see that the bus could be the solution with the changes.

The transit systems started when the cities were smaller. As the cities got larger they just expanded the loop sizes of the routes instead of adding routes. In the case of my local city, the population doubled and the city borders expanded with the populations concentrating in the North and South ends. They doggedly stuck to the downtown transfer point even though the downtown basically died as the stores moved to the outskirts where the major populations are. The cities biggest employer, a tire factory close to downtown, closed and other industries moved to areas with room for expansion in industrial parks. The city council has spent millions trying to revive the downtown and feel that it is essential to have the bus transfer point there. Others have tried to get them to initiate a belt line system with several intersections of routes where riders could transfer to other routes and greatly shorten the time to get from one point to another.

The biggest employer in the area has hired buses to transport their employees because the transit system can't get them there at 7AM.

I like riding buses. But not in America.

riding the bus is great

I broke up a hobo/cholo knife fight to impress a hot indian girl and had a real life kramer moment

Wait a minute....

<WellThere>

I've been going through a few cars in the last year, so I've had to use the bus in between cars, which is usually a week or two at a time. Once you get used to it, you can drone all the crazy with a pair of head phones. It's just learning routes changes, changing to the train and which busses to take on the way back is a pain in the ass and it always feels like 5 percent of the public are in any kind of rush. Everyone else just lemmings-out and follows the next person in front of them.

The things that I encountered that were nuisances were really really disgusting smelling homeless people and them clearing out busses, and having to deal with early busses or barely showing up on time. Either way, running to the bus stop is fucking stressful because if you miss a bus, it ruins your whole travel schedule and you risk being late up to an hour. If you see someone running to the bus stop, that person is in a panic and needs to make that bus, so give them space if you can. In LA busses are always behind because of traffic, so you have to plan to get to your location early just incase you have to make up for a late bus and traffic.

I don't mind it so much if I plan ahead, but nothing beats having a car.

i live in a real city which has real public transportation, so yes, i've taken the bus.
nowadays it's rare since i take the train to work. but i will jump on the bus if the train is fucked up, but luckily that's rare.

Buses in big cities are probably okay where using a car is just not practical. Buses in the burbs is where you tend to find the more economically challenged. I saw it when I rode the bus in high school.

BangBros-BangBus-MollyJane.jpg

Back