RICKSON promoted to RED BELT!

When I realized he was going to turn the belt down, I was taken aback . I don't think there is a person in the world who would. But then again he is Rickson.

The interesting thing is how some in this thread try to put a bad spin on the whole thing.

I agree that nobody who is alive deserves it more than Rickson. But as you guys said, we do need standards.

Abdokov09 why does Rickson deserve it more than anyone alive? I am confused isn't that going against what Rickson is saying. If a 4 strip black belt is standing next to a 3 strip black belt world champion I don't assume the 4 strip is better i just think he has more time in as a black belt. Is going by time in not good enough or should we look at other factors?

I agree with Rickson that we need a set standard. So if he suppose to take 45 years to get your 9th degree than everybody should have to wait that long. That's why Rickson wanted to wait 5 more years. But this is his beliefs not Rorion's. Rorion believes that 40 years is acceptable and Rorion is the one that promotes him. The way I think is to be a great leader you need to be a good follower. So if Rickson wants future black belts to follow his beliefs he needs to show us that he can follow people before him too. It's like when Rorion said now that Rickson is a red belt he can now help set the rules.

It was a political power play by rorion

Damn bro. Everyone was there. I saw some legends in that group of guys. I mean they all flew in for the promotion. I guess it could be considered click bait and Rickson can choose not to wear that belt, but you can't say he doesn't deserve that belt.

You are falling for the narrative rorion wants you to fall into. It is not about if rickson deserves it or not. It is about rorion wanting to try to stay relevant and influential in jiu jitsu by being the "authority" that promotes rickson. it's simple as that. It's not about rickson, this was rorion making sure rickson got his belt from him.

Nefti, do you think Rickson saw it that way as well?

I guarantee that he did. Rickson and Rorian have a history of not getting a long. Rorians side have been trying to consolidate control over the Gracie name for years. Didn't they even sue Rickson or something? So it's pretty obvious that Rorian is trying to look like the highest authority in Gracie JJ. He has the authority to award rank to even the great Rickson.

I think Rickson had a big hand in inventing (along with his deceased brother Rolls) what we think of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, as in being more of a Mixed Martial Art than the modified judo that Helio was doing.
No, it was rolls and Carlson that evolved jiu jitsu - rickson was the beneficiary of those two pioneers. He was the most gifted Gracie.

Wikipedia shows this list of red belt although this is in all of history from what I can tell. Any idea how many are still alive? How many there are that are still active?
Pedro Hemeterio
Joao Alberto Barreto
Alvaro Barreto
Flavio Behring
Carlson Gracie
Carley Gracie
Geny Rebello
Armando Wridt
Oswaldo Fadda
Pedro Valente Sr.
Wilson Mattos
Luis Carlos Guedes de Castro
Francisco Mansor
Rorion Gracie
Osvaldo Alves
Relson Gracie
Carlos Antonio Rosado
Renato Paquet
Francisco Sá (Sazinho)
Robson Gracie
Reyson Gracie
Rickson Gracie

No, it was rolls and Carlson that evolved jiu jitsu - rickson was the beneficiary of those two pioneers. He was the most gifted Gracie.

Actually that's not right. Rickson also helped improving and evolving things. It would be foolish to think the art didn't evolve after 1982. Carlson took over from Helio, Rolls took over from Carlson, Rickson took over from Rolls etc.

Back