Rickson Gracie

Everyone know Wallid beat a four Gracie. Rickson just a stay in the home. Show up!

If you look at Rickson's fights on YouTube, he would have lost a lot of them if they went to decision with modern judges. Rickson's style needed minimal rules and no time limit to put people away.

He would do very well against modern fighters in a bareknuckle bout with no time limits.

Based on the Takada fights and his fights in the Vale Tudo Japan tournaments to me it looked like Rickson was a much more aggressive and reckless fighter than Royce, Takada had multiple opportunities to land significant strikes in those fights(he hurt him with a knee at one point if I remember correctly) but he was too intimidated by the aura and completely folded in both fights. I can see Rickson getting caught against a good striker in the old days. With that said though he was a great athlete, really fast and dynamic, I actually think he could have beaten the wrestlers like Coleman and Kerr due to better stamina and better submission skills, but I think Royce could have beaten those guys too(in a fight with no rounds/time limit or stand ups).
Maybe, but I could also easily see Coleman or Kerr beating on Royce until the towel was thrown, or Kerr breaking his neck with a crank. Either of the three ways are feasible.

Those guys are part of the next generation after Rickson's though. Rickson had decent opponents for his time in those Vale Tudo Japan tournaments that were kind of Shooto's version of the early UFC events (and ended up doing the same; promoting Gracie Jiu Jitsu) and of course fought Funaki in his last bout. I imagine he wouldn't have beaten guys like Coleman, Kerr and Rutten but Rickson was much smaller anyway and was born a bit too late for MMA.

Saku vs. Rickson would have been amazing, too bad Rockson died.
Yeah, true. I didn't realize that Rickson was such a short dude. When I picture him, I just see muscle.

Definitely best member of family and hand had balls of steel

I'd have love to see him vs prime ken p 96.

He struggled with kens teacher

He would have gotten trashed in MMA but when it comes to BJJ, no one has publicly come out and said he was ever overrated when it comes to that, and usually word will get out in gym circles as to who is getting their ass kicked, who juices, etc

So I have no choice but to believe he's all that in BJJ. But again, he would get smashed in MMA like all the other Gracie's. Did you see him fight in PRIDE 1? Super stiff and purposely puts his chin out.

This but chin up shit stand up was the norm then

If rickson took down any fighter today past or present they are fucked 9/10

Funaki broke rickson orbital and he's shit at stand up most would ruin him today with stand up which is funny

He ruined people with bjj

Even at his age if he stepped in when Royce did in the UFC he would've done just as good.

Why not watch some of his fights or watch the documentary "Choke" (it's very good)?

Even at his age if he stepped in when Royce did in the UFC he would've done just as good.

He would have done great and probably killed UFC in end

Rickson would toy with everyone

It was good in long run Royce got a beating by ken shamrock kept it going rivals were born

Guys, I GOTTA know: I know all the "legendary" stories of Rickson, but seriously, how would he have done in the UFC during his days as a fighter? I know, I know, he's 400000-0, except that one time in Sambo, but for real, for the folks that saw him in his prime, how would he have done? I've been a fight fan for a long, long time, but never watched him live, so I don't know. Was he legit, or more of a made up legend?

***In before Rickson by armbar***
***In before Rickson 400-0***
Did you watch his Pride fights?

Did you watch his Pride fights?
Sure I did. Takada, but that's not too much of an indication on how he'd have done against great grapplers/wrestlers/strikers.

Sure I did. Takada, but that's not too much of an indication on how he'd have done against great grapplers/wrestlers/strikers.
I also wonder. I met him a few months ago and my Professor trained under him

Rickson associates with convicted child molestors.

Maia most likely submits all these opponents much quicker and with more efficient moves.

Maia x Rickson in Vale Tudo......The only thing I know is Rickson won't tap out.

Rickson was dope because of his philosophy and his approach to training. I dont give a shit how he would have done, one thing I know for sure he was on a higher level of skill than Royce.

Two things always come to mind when I think of Rickson:

1) Everyone, including Royce, will say that Rickson can tap out Royce in about a couple minutes without really breaking a sweat, this much is obvious based on the testimony of hundreds of people. But had Rickson fought in the UFC when Royce did, could Rickson have gone thru UFC 1-4 without so much as a scratch? True Royce tired after Kimo, but that was an electrolyte issue, not a broken rib or smashed eye. People think the somewhat educated Japanese fighters Rickson beat were better than Royce’s UFC opponents, but I think Royce had some naturally tougher guys with sharper athleticism. Royce’s entries and clinching styles seemed more refined and modern compared to Rickson’s 1980’s Rio takedowns and I have watched all of their fights and challenge matches. It’s just my observation.

2) Rickson had a bad habit of burrowing his head for the takedown and at least got his head taken for a guillotine twice. I believe anyone with even high school wrestling might have given him major problems in terms of just getting things on the ground. There is no doubt on the ground he is legendary, but Royce never, ever got his head controlled by an adversary during his additional run and guys like Patrick Smith knew the guillotine and so did Shamrock. Like I said, Royce’s had a slightly better clinching game.

I’m not so quick to say Rickson would steamroll early UFC opponents. I even think Keith Hackney might have been able to KO him on a punch simply cuz Royce had problems taking him down despite being TALLER than Hackney, Rickson is way shorter and has worse defense from strikes on the feet than Royce.

Again, once on the ground, Rickson is better but that’s a given.

Rickson executed some legitimately impressive moves during the Vale Tudo Japan events, even by today's standards. But look who he fought. A bunch of cans. Most of his competitors have losing records.
The only "competition", if you want to call it that, was an aged out Funaki (a great fighter 5-6 years prior) and Nakai. One of the other dudes he fought beat Mark Kerr and Valentin Overeem, but was pretty shoddy otherwise.
So it's really tough to say. Back in the mid-90's he was probably the best (based on his athleticism, technique and speed), but by the late 90's fighters were starting to learn the Mixed game.
Today, a PRIME Rickson, could possibly be top 10, but I doubt it. There were a lot of holes in his game. He didn't cut a whole lot of angles, or use strikes effectively, and his head was static, making a well-timed shot night night for the dude.
Then again, he did pull off some pretty wild stuff so who knows.

Last edited:
Back