Rickson Gracie: Modern BJJ Black Belts Remind Me of Karate Practitioners Clueless of Jiu-Jitsu

Lets see how you do against Gordon Ryan then Rickson..

I have tremendous respect for Rickson, but even in his prime, Rickson would be destroyed by today's fighter. Someone like Maia or Jacare or even Big Nog would embarrass him
has tremendous respect... then shits all over him. ~oss~ ...

He’s right though.

No hes not

hes sour that others took BJJ and evolved it by incorporating other grappling arts and methods that have filled in some of the glaring gaps in GJJ.

400-0

Except the time he lost and the time he made up those numbers.

I look forward to Kron getting his ass beat in the major leagues using outdated technologies.

How would Hughes have lost? by breaking the other guy arm before making him a punching bag until the ref stops the fight? Also, the Saku fight was with special rules set by, guess who?, yes, the Gracie!

And the fact that he talks about bjj and not mma, makes no difference. How many Gracie jj are winning the ADCCC?

If he is complaining about the fake black belts, which you get in a McDojo, he is right. But the quote is too short to know what is he talking about specifically, and it sounds like a smart-ass, as he used back in the day.

<LikeReally5>

UFC isn't real fighting though, it's a sport with rules.

If "true Gracie BJJ" isn't the most effective means to prevail within those rules it should be supplemented, modified or discarded as necessary.

The Gracie Street Self defence videos are actually great. Defence against headlocks, chokes, being grabbed from behind etc. I used the techniques many times when i worked my way through college doing security in clubs and at events.

That was nearly 20 years ago. Back then, the bjj class i joined had Street defence classes twice a week.

Very few guys at the Gracie gym i train at nowadays have a clue about self defence Bjj for street fighting situations. It's all sport BJJ.

Brian Ortega should make Rickson proud.

Are we at Sherdog, such morons that we can't understand the quote? He is not talking about MMA as a sport, he is talking about Jiu Jitsu as a fighting style. To many, as you've just pointed out, it has become only a part of the "ring" with rounds and rules. "What about Hughes", "What about Sakuraba", we ask, but place them in an open field with no time limits or judges and things change tremendously. You may find the action boring but the results may surprise you. Two of the greatest fights I have ever seen would never have occurred or may have had different results under the new rules: Gracie vs Kimo and Gracie vs Severn. Under the new rules, I believe both fighters would have "Matt Hughes-ed" Gracie but under the old rules Gracie would have beaten Hughes. Show some respect and don't rush to elite levels of Shertardedness just because a Gracie speaks out every once in a while.

Put two smart fighters in an open field with no judges and the one who has the best combination of quick feet , takedown defense, and endurance wins. It could take several hours, but that's what it would come down to. Don't let your opponent get a hand on you, strip their grip if they do get close, run away, come back only when your opponent is tired. Pretty boring, but mobile armies have used this tactic for millennia with their skirmishers. You're going to have to put some sort of boundaries if you want a traditional fight (ie two guys facing off against each other). Every form of sport combat has boundaries for that reason - without them one person keeps escaping and coming back until his opponent is tired.

And even within a bounded field (say they fight on a football field instead of an open field), the problem with BJJ is its lack of takedowns. Being great on the ground is meaningless if you can't get the takedown; you currently have to mix BJJ with wrestling or judo for that.

BJJ spends 90% of its time on the ground, which is why it is so good on the ground. But if you're spending 90% of your time on the ground and 10% of your time on techniques to get the fight to the ground, you're simply not getting someone who spends 90% of his time standing grappling to the ground. The only reason things like guard pull work is because under current BJJ rules its illegal to stall by refusing to follow to the ground. Guard pulls are trivially easy to stop if you're allowed to stall; that's why judo and wrestling developed so many other kinds of takedowns.

As for Royce beating Hughes without time time limits and boundaries - did you watch the fight? He was finished on the ground. A better argument would be that Hughes studied BJJ and used it along with wrestling to beat Royce. Time limits are a non-issue when you're finished.

he's right thought. modern sport bjj is definitely evolving away from real fighting.

Real fighting involves weapons, and has done so for at least 200,000 years. Humans are pathetic fighters unarmed, we'd still be bear and lion kibble if it weren't for weapons.

Humans fighting unarmed, and worse, one-on-one, is a sport. Ask a cop, or just look at crime stats (locally 90% of real fights involve weapons or numbers, and usually both, according to the stats). Anyone who's training you train for real fights with more than 25% of the time spent on unarmed (you need a bit to buy time to get to your weapon if you're not situationally aware) is selling you something.

Your average fit male with a 6" knife (let alone a gun) is beating 95% of GJJ or BJJ or MMA fighters 95% of the time. If you're not training for those circumstances you're just training for a different kind of sport combat.

The false sense of confidence unarmed fighters of all styles have wrt weapons is as silly as the false sense of confidence TMA folks had about interstyle unarmed fights, and is based on the same thing - not testing against the real thing. If you think BJJ or MMA or any unarmed style is good for real fights, try this at your club. Give a fit beginner a red marker to use as a 'knife', and then fight. Then count the red marks on your body. The chances are very high you 'died' in that combat.

about Renzo, he's also the type of guy to group assault a bouncer that didn't let him in a club or something. not very manly...

I thought it was the other way around? Didnt he beat up multiple bouncers by himself?
Im not sure though

He’s ABSOLUTELY right.

BJJ blackbelts are so WATERED DOWN these days it’s completely lost the value it once had.

Rickson Gracie’s opinion on modern Jiu Jitsu:

“In the past, when we arrived in the US, we were teaching Jiu-Jitsu to Karate black belts, who at the time felt like they knew everything. When they got exposed to real Jiu-Jitsu, they would say that they lost 20 years of their lives doing Karate, and now they realized what the real thing is. So somehow when I go to a (BJJ) seminar these days, I get the same impression from Jiu-Jitsu black belts. They’re like “Wow, I never taught that this existed in Jiu-Jitsu”. If we don’t do something very soon, Jiu-Jitsu will lose its fight-identity.”

https://bjj-world.com/rickson-graci...mind-karate-practitioners-clueless-jiu-jitsu/
24y8j8.jpg

Cool story Mr. Rickson.

I wonder why you did not show Royce how to outgrapple Matt Hughes.
He didn't train Royce and was bitter about the family not picking him to be in UFC

Back