Rickson Gracie Article by Maynard Keenan

Judo never whent through a time when they offically had mma/vtd matches. Not a knock on judo but just stating the fact.

That is completely untrue.

When judo was first founded, it was very controversial. Most of the classical schools were angry at Kano for inventing judo and issued challenges. The Kodokan took them up on these challenges which were fought with basically no rules. They often resulted in serious injury.

These challenge matches are extremely well documented in judo history. Just look them up.

Lvl 9 Thread Necromancy Cast!!! This one deserves to make a comback. Someone tell me different.

Well, they resurectet the "Rolled with Todd" thread.

I'm not saying that this thread is as good as the Todd thread but it is definatly ressurection worthy

Same old propaganda that causes people who would welcome BJJ as a refeshing alternative or addition to their IJF Judo to be scornful of some of the key figures in BJJ. A lot of judoka were saying that they would quit Judo and do sambo because of the new IJF rules (good luck finding a sambo club). There area a lot of Judo people with open minds who understand the deficiencies in IJF Judo, which gets rammed down a lot of people's throats because they train in competitive dojos. But when threads like this get started we get to argue over Gracie propaganda and when you tell the truth about it you're a hater...

And to anyone who really thinks the Gracies independently discovered these techniques (and ignores who they learned from) check out the world championships, Olympic championships and remember that Judo is big in Brazil.

Again these rehashed interviews are much more of a problem than the people who call them out.

Same old propaganda that causes people who would welcome BJJ as a refeshing alternative or addition to their IJF Judo to be scornful of some of the key figures in BJJ. A lot of judoka were saying that they would quit Judo and do sambo because of the new IJF rules (good luck finding a sambo club). There area a lot of Judo people with open minds who understand the deficiencies in IJF Judo, which gets rammed down a lot of people's throats because they train in competitive dojos. But when threads like this get started we get to argue over Gracie propaganda and when you tell the truth about it you're a hater...

And to anyone who really thinks the Gracies independently discovered these techniques (and ignores who they learned from) check out the world championships, Olympic championships and remember that Judo is big in Brazil.

Again these rehashed interviews are much more of a problem than the people who call them out.

I personally am arguing nothing. I just thought it was a good read and thought others would find it that way as well. Not trying to start a style vs style arguement and I'm definetly not trying to resurrect one. To be honest I didn't read a single post after the initial TS interview.

edit

I didn't read a single post that was posted before I resurrected the thread aside from the TS.

Ok, but a lot of people won't let sleeping dogs lie. Which, BTW, is close to the title of a decent book.

Say what you want about Rickson (his 400-0 record...) but he's a man who lives BJJ and has principles.

There is a lot of mith about how big was kimura and how small was helio.

Taking from the photo and video helio was quite taller than kimura.

From kimura biography

"Helio was 180cm and 80kg. "

Kimura was 169 cm and weight in his entire career between 81 and 86 kilos.

He stated himself that "Neither my height (169cm) nor weight (86kg) is outstanding.", that's while he was doing pro-judo, and is the same period of helio's fight

Kimura bio My Judo by MASAHIKO KIMURA

If you read Helio biography it's like he was 140 lbs while Kimura was a giant of 100+ kg.

That's not true , but it's true that kimura was very very strong and trained.

But as latin stated IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS, the right position is in the middle

Other than that it's true that Kosen judo didn't exist while maeda was in Japan, but newaza did, and Maeda was a judoka. All his previous training was tenshin shinnyo ryu as a child under Jigoro Kano (before he developed judo).

Kosen judo is a ruleset for school, and some of the technique developed for that competition, like Sankaku jime (triangle choke) were developed after Maeda left japan (Sankaku was developed by tsunetane Oda).

Maeda was a student of Tomita and other judoka that, after maeda left japan, became some of the developers of Kosen rules set.

Well said.

judo is big in brazil
i personally likeboth judo and bjj the two styles complement eachotherandmake learningthe other style easier

great interview~ talks about wine, bjj, and music

He seems to just geniunely enjoy life, it's good to see.

He seems to just geniunely enjoy life, it's good to see.

Being a multimillionaire musician with 3 different successful bands (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer) and complete artistic control definitely helps. So does having the resources to jump into interests like winemaking or jiu-jitsu on a level many folks would envy.

To boot, he's pretty well respected in all of his endeavors as an intelligent, thoughtful, and passionate man...and to my understanding he can still go out in public without being mobbed by fans.

My personal belief is that being on a "we're friends that call each other up and hang out" basis with the likes of Tori Amos & Milla Jovovich doesn't hurt either.

kano never fought. And btw the bjj guard evolved through a different enviroment than judo's old guard. Judo never whent through a time when they offically had mma/vtd matches. Not a knock on judo but just stating the fact.

Tokyo police, dude

I love Rickson ideas when it comes to grappling, an area he is indeed incredible.

However this interview is kind of ridiculous:

1) He acts like his father invented grappling. There are not a single technique that can be said that it was invented by Helio. And by the way, simple things like Americana and the triangle choke were brought by Rolls, because he interacted with american wrestlers, and because a student of him saw the triangle in a JUDO book.
So that's pretty much bullsh`t to tell to the world that Helio invented 80% of actual grappling.

2) His ideas about nutrition are kind of old fashioned and even stupid. His family understands well enough to concept of healthy fruit and vegetables diet though. Yet all that different acids theory is ridiculous at best.

I love Rickson ideas when it comes to grappling, an area he is indeed incredible.

However this interview is kind of ridiculous:

1) He acts like his father invented grappling. There are not a single technique that can be said that it was invented by Helio. And by the way, simple things like Americana and the triangle choke were brought by Rolls, because he interacted with american wrestlers, and because a student of him saw the triangle in a JUDO book.
So that's pretty much bullsh`t to tell to the world that Helio invented 80% of actual grappling.

2) His ideas about nutrition are kind of old fashioned and even stupid. His family understands well enough to concept of healthy fruit and vegetables diet though. Yet all that different acids theory is ridiculous at best.

I'm by no means a Gracie nuthugger, in fact, my rival school is a Carslon Gracie academy, but I'll just say these things:

1) Do you genuinely believe that most of jiu-jitsu is based on the submissions? Yes, the submissions are the main goal, but the sweeps, hip movement, guard etc are all what were mainly invented and what makes jiu-jitsu so effective. You teach someone how to apply submissions and nothing and teach a guy the movements and nothing else and watch him fold the submission guy in half.

2) When have you ever seen an out-of-shape, slobby Gracie? The guys are all ripped, they're clearly doing something right...

fucking necros...

the first 10 seconds fits this these sort of threads.

It's a good read and Rickson's the man, but I kind of get annoyed by the "you should do what you have a passion for" statements. We hear this all the time growing up, and it's some of the crappiest advice I've ever gotten. There are plenty of jobs out there that people don't necessarily have a "passion" for, but they still fill an important need in society, and they pay the bills a lot better than something you may have a passion for. I think it's childish to say you should do only what you have a passion for. And Rickson was raised to be a champion and lucky enough to be gifted; there aren't many people out there who are that lucky. I've been broke and I've had a few dollars in my pocket, and life's a lot easier with a few dollars, no matter how passionate you are about what you do.

I'm by no means a Gracie nuthugger, in fact, my rival school is a Carslon Gracie academy, but I'll just say these things:

1) Do you genuinely believe that most of jiu-jitsu is based on the submissions? Yes, the submissions are the main goal, but the sweeps, hip movement, guard etc are all what were mainly invented and what makes jiu-jitsu so effective. You teach someone how to apply submissions and nothing and teach a guy the movements and nothing else and watch him fold the submission guy in half.

2) When have you ever seen an out-of-shape, slobby Gracie? The guys are all ripped, they're clearly doing something right...

1) No they weren't. Even the guard that helio was so proud off was already used in judo's newazza. And all the jiu jitsu Helio knew was taught by Carlos by the way.
And there are a ton of other grappling arts who know what is a guard, an half gaurd, a side mount, a kimura, a butterfly sweep, etc

2) Did you read what I said? I said that is a fact that the Gracies know enough of nutrition to keep themselves healthy, but the different acids theory is just fantasy.

Is there any scientific backing for the food combination claims made by the Gracies?

Back