Rickson black belts easier to get?

PAIN INC. said:
Iam in Rickson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and they do not just give you belts that you dont deserve. You must train very hard brfore being tested.Rickson wouldnt endorse your belt rank if he or his certified instructors didnt think you deserved it.It should take over five years to get a black belt in Rickson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

In saying that its takes over five years means it could take anything over 5 years to make black belt most people would never make it in even 5 to 10 years. I used 5 years as a metaphor to the person that said BJ Penn did it in 3 years. This would never happen in RGJJ.

Slightly of topic here but how much on average the BBJ School charge in a month and how much does the test charge? Just want to know so I won't go broke trying to get the black belt

DarthTex said:
Slightly of topic here but how much on average the BBJ School charge in a month and how much does the test charge? Just want to know so I won't go broke trying to get the black belt

Dude, no offense, but if you have to ask this question, you probably WILL go broke going for the black belt.

Let's say it takes $100 a month for unlimited training. Let's say it takes 10 years to get a black belt. That would mean it would cost you $12,000 in mat fees. Not to mention, time/money on competitions to prove your skills, plus all kinds of other costs (gi's, medical bills for injuries, etc.), and you're looking at a pretty steep bill.

On the other hand, if you look at it as an investment in a career as a Rickson Gracie instructor, it is a small price to pay...

"Rickson black belts easier to get?"

Are you fucking kidding me? Belts are harder to get from Rickson than anyone else. I thought everyone knew this.

Travnkath said:
Let me start by saying I've heard from more than a few people that the Rickson system has awarded black belts on things other than 100% merit...that being said:

I was reading BJ Penn's bio and it looks like he got his black belt in like 3 years or something???? I imagine that's why he is "The Prodigy".

Has anyone heard of a BJJ black belt coming any faster than Penn's?? Also do any of you have opinions on what Gracie system black belt has the most credibility??

I know peeps who roll at cesars in p-hill and he is preatty strict about promotions.As well he should if you promote somebody and they aint shit like they should thatgives the instructor a bad name

You know, if you do not have students progressing, at some point you have to look at your teaching style and why you are not effectively being able to communicate the art.

DarthTex said:
Is Rickson Gracie instructor in the State?

Yes, he has a school in the westside of Los Angeles, California in the USA.
Check out his website at www.rickson.com for more information about the school.

I was told that it would take roughly twelve years to get a BJJ black belt through my Rickson endorsed school.

I hear what you're saying Shadowdean but it also depends how you define progress. People absolutely need a reward system, but if Rickson Gracie schools are having a hard time communicating Gracie Jiu Jitsu, then who else really stands a chance of doing it better? But here's a decent test and I don't know the answer so if anyone can help, please do. Is there a way to look at Rickson BJJ schools and see how they've faired in competitions against other BJJ schools? I'm wondering because that guy in my example above was beating blue belts as a white belt. Was he not progressing? All belts fall on a spectrum of proficiency in the sport. Some belts at some schools may be awarded farther to the left on the spectrum than others. It's a human endeavor after all. But, as in every sport, your mettle is proved on the competition platform.

BC.

BC. said:
I was told that it would take roughly twelve years to get a BJJ black belt through my Rickson endorsed school.

I hear what you're saying Shadowdean but it also depends how you define progress. People absolutely need a reward system, but if Rickson Gracie schools are having a hard time communicating Gracie Jiu Jitsu, then who else really stands a chance of doing it better? But here's a decent test and I don't know the answer so if anyone can help, please do. Is there a way to look at Rickson BJJ schools and see how they've faired in competitions against other BJJ schools? I'm wondering because that guy in my example above was beating blue belts as a white belt. Was he not progressing? All belts fall on a spectrum of proficiency in the sport. Some belts at some schools may be awarded farther to the left on the spectrum than others. It's a human endeavor after all. But, as in every sport, your mettle is proved on the competition platform.

BC.

Surely you're not implying that Rickson is not able to effectivley teach the art, are you?

DMcKayBJJ said:
What is Rodrigo's "Legendary" Blue Belt test?

lol from what my blue belt and higher buddy's say...they still have nightmares.....hopefully I'll get a taste of it before I leave St. Louis :eek:

spanklock said:
"Rickson black belts easier to get?"

Are you fucking kidding me? Belts are harder to get from Rickson than anyone else. I thought everyone knew this.

the title of this thread me laugh out loud

morganfreeman said:
. I think the fact that he [bj penn] won the mundials at black belt is a pretty clear indication that he deserved his promotions.

that's exactly right. a lot of people overlook the fact that he won the mundials.

Before posting this sort of drivel, try to learn to analyze the available data and logically and rationally draw your own conclusions. If the facts suggest that Rickson is giving away black belts like nobody's business, then post this sort of crap. If they don't, please refrain from defaming the guy with libelous comments like 'I've heard Rickson has no integrity in awarding belts". Thanks ever so much in following this protocol.

ive heard if you train with him hes never around and maybe if your lucky you get to see him 2 or 3 times a month and if you teach classes for him he still makes you pay what a dude!!!

What about Lloyd Irwin? Isn't he a black belt under Leo Dalla who's under Rickson. Lloyd has made a bunch of BB over the years and Mike Fowler got his in 3.5 years or something like that. Since Lloyd and Leo are under Rickson doesn't Rickson have to agree with them getting the BB?

POINT312 said:
ive heard if you train with him hes never around and maybe if your lucky you get to see him 2 or 3 times a month and if you teach classes for him he still makes you pay what a dude!!!

That is absolute hogwash. I train at Rickson's -- sometimes he travels or takes time off and isn't there for a period of time. Other times, he'll be there for most classes. But Rickson's black belt instructors certainly don't pay to teach classes. What a tool you are.

h8johnny said:
What about Lloyd Irwin? Isn't he a black belt under Leo Dalla who's under Rickson. Lloyd has made a bunch of BB over the years and Mike Fowler got his in 3.5 years or something like that. Since Lloyd and Leo are under Rickson doesn't Rickson have to agree with them getting the BB?

Lloyd is not a black belt under Rickson and is not affiliated with Rickson in any way. Leo Dalla also isn't a black belt under Rickson, he's a black belt under Jorge Pereira.

Check it out on www.bjj.org

I will say up front that I train at a another school in the same area as the one the original poster mentioned, and I have heard quite often people questioning this particular instructors black belt.

Okay, just to give you a little more of the story and why the original poster asked (and to all of you flaming him he did ask, he's trying to get more information) about recieving a Black Belt from Rickson. I want to say that living in the area I've heard things (not good things) about a specific school and instructor in this area that is a Rickson Gracie affiliate.

When I first moved to Sacramento I heard people questioning this school (the instructor was a brown belt at the time), but I went to that school to check it out first, then tried the Charles Gracie Affiliate in the area, and based on the free class at each I was going to go to the Charles Gracie school. There seemed to be nothing wrong, really, with the Rickson school, but the other school's instructor just seemed better for my Jiu-jitsu.

In the end I went to neither, I ended up training with a Cassio Werneck purple at Sac State until Cassio moved back to Sacramento, then went to train with him. Part of the problem is that the Rickson Gracie instructor recieved his black belt shortly after Cassio moved back permently and set up his school advertising as the only Black Belt in the Sacramento area. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, I really don't know I never rolled with him or seen him roll (he didn't roll on the day I trained with him).

I trained at that Rickson school once, got a good work out and learned something. I personally have not had a bad experience or would say anything bad about the school. I encourage everyone in the area to check them out if they're intrested in training Jiu-jitsu. Also, check out Mario over at Bruddas (The Charles Gracie School), and also check us out at Cassio Wernecks. Then make your decision.

johil d'o said:
Rickson's BBs are pretty easy to get. If you tap Rickson twice in 100% live sparring, you get to move up a belt level.

ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaahah
one of the funniest posts ive read in a long time

Back