Rickson black belts easier to get?

Travnkath

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I've heard from more than a few people that the Rickson system has awarded black belts on things other than 100% merit...that being said:

I was reading BJ Penn's bio and it looks like he got his black belt in like 3 years or something???? I imagine that's why he is "The Prodigy".

Has anyone heard of a BJJ black belt coming any faster than Penn's?? Also do any of you have opinions on what Gracie system black belt has the most credibility??

who did rickson give blacke belts to that he shouldn't have?

I've heard the exact opposite about rickson. I've been told by several people have trained at his school that he is less inclined to award a black belt based on performance in competition and insists that all his students be thoroughly versed in all aspects of bjj before giving them a black belt.

As for bj, kind of a moot point as he was trained by ralph, but from what I understand, his family has some money and he was training up to three times a day, travelling for seminars and frequently getting privates from several black belt instructors. Combine that with natural ability, and it would be pretty hard not to be moved up alot faster than most. I think the fact that he won the mundials at black belt is a pretty clear indication that he deserved his promotions.

I know guys who have trained with Rickson and MorganFreeman is right. He is actually pretty strict when it comes to awarding purples and up, very strict. Look at Marc Eccard and what he had to go through

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

yeah i heard also the bj was getting privates twice daily or something liek that.. i guess its worth it if youve got the $

Im paying 100$ a month.. He was paying atleast 140$ a day...

Shit if i was Ralph and BJ gave me enough money to put a down payment on a mansion i would give him a black belt too.

I think of all people rickson would be one of the toughest to get a black through. With such a name to live up to im sure he doesnt want anyone out there representing his name without the skills to back it up.

I'm sorry. I was combining 2 posts. I wasn't saying BJ didn't deserve his belt at all-merely amazed at how fast got it.

But the Rickson thing, I'm told by a few folks that you can get belts easier, but that could be nonsense and that's why I asked you guys. And to answer the who question-I'm told David Terry in Carmichael shouldnt have gotten his belt.

6th Black Fabio Santos, Pedro Sauer, Carlos Valente
5th Black Oct

I heard Reylson Gracie doesn't have many students.
And very few upper ranked guys.

morganfreeman said:
I've heard the exact opposite about rickson. I've been told by several people have trained at his school that he is less inclined to award a black belt based on performance in competition and insists that all his students be thoroughly versed in all aspects of bjj before giving them a black belt.

As for bj, kind of a moot point as he was trained by ralph, but from what I understand, his family has some money and he was training up to three times a day, travelling for seminars and frequently getting privates from several black belt instructors. Combine that with natural ability, and it would be pretty hard not to be moved up alot faster than most. I think the fact that he won the mundials at black belt is a pretty clear indication that he deserved his promotions.

Yeh, the proof's in the puddin ... BJ is more than deserving. After all, if he wasn't a black belt, there'd be a shitload of BB's getting their asses kicked by a brown belt!

Superbeast said:
He has only helped to promote 19 black belts. I don't think that's exactly giving them out like candy. You seem to forget 4 other black belts 3rd degree or higher must agree with his evaluation to allow for the person to be certified as a black belt.
it's not like if rickson comes to you saying that he has a student that he thinks deserves his BB, you are going to question him :) he IS prob no1 persona in BJJ..

i am not sure if you need 3 other BB's to accept the promotion, at least not in brazil. you do need the aproval of your master eg. leo santos asking pederneiras for his approval, or ricardo vieira asking ratinho for his aproval, something like that.

that stated, I doubt veeery much that rickson would do anything to damage the sport he helped create, giving out bb left and right..

Travnkath said:
I'm sorry. I was combining 2 posts. I wasn't saying BJ didn't deserve his belt at all-merely amazed at how fast got it.

But the Rickson thing, I'm told by a few folks that you can get belts easier, but that could be nonsense and that's why I asked you guys. And to answer the who question-I'm told David Terry in Carmichael shouldnt have gotten his belt.

Dude, who are your sources?!!?

Nothing personal, but think about what you're saying. Rickson, the Gracie family champion, the legend, the dude who just did the "Budo Challenge" to reignite the "warrior spirit" in people who train BJJ to get them to realize that it's not just a sport but a way of life...

Ok, yes, he's also the dude who throws water bottles at tourneys, but aside from that...

I just think it's ridiculous that anybody would accuse Rickson of handing out BB's that weren't 100% deserved. In fact, I'd venture to say that Rickson would probably STILL not give someone a BB (even if the rest of the BJJ world thought that person deserved it) unless that person had not only the technical merit but also the devotion and commitment to BJJ that Rickson has. Hell, that goes for him giving out other belts, too. Why do you think people often accuse his guys of sandbagging?

I'm sure the guys who train at his school are going to have a field day with this one...

Rickson and others that have recieved thier BB from him rarely give out the black belt. A guy from a place I train at only got his Blue Belt after 4 years and he is easily one of the best grapplers in the state.

i literally laughed out loud at your thread title

LOL -- what a joke. Rickson's school is very slow to hand out belts beyond blue. Getting to black means you've basically dedicated your life to BJJ. Seriously. And it takes most guys 2+ years just to get to blue.

How long does it take to get a BBJ black belt on average?

This is exactly why we have these forums becasue we have questions and we ask them. So many posters just post to hear themselves post. I made this inquiry to get feedback not make a statement. My sources may be wrong it would seem from the responses I've gotten. I'm fine with that-check your egos at the log in you few jackasses out there

Back