Rick Steiner would have been great in UFC 1

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Rick was such a good fighter that people would rather fight Scott Steiner. Rick was an All American wrestler at Michigan and then he entered pro wrestling. Kevin Nash who is considered one of the hardest hitting bar fighters in pro wrestling said that Rick Steiner was trying to get him in a sugar hold and 6 foot ten inch 330 pound Nash said "I was hitting Rick in the head as hard as I could and he was just laughing,"

Steiner clearly could fight standing up and he was a great collegiate wrestler. He would have given Royce Gracie a miserable time in UFC 1.

Rick wasn't an All-American at Michigan, that was Scott.

So incorrect on many fronts. Both guys were scary as heck but all around, most avoided Scott like the plague, especially in his WCW days.

Scott was also the better amateur. He was a 3 time Big 10 runner up and an All-American in 1986. Rick was never an All-American, was a 1 time Big 10 runner up, although he was promoted as such when he first started in JCP as a member of the Vaarsity Club. Due to promotional tactics, height, weight and accomplishments are often exaggerated.

Based on that alone, if either brother was to fight in '93, I'd give the nod to Scott

Last edited:
Rick Steiner is someone I wouldn't want to fight, 100%, but he probably wouldn't be my pick to represent pro wrestling in early MMA. I'd more likely go with Scott. Dr Death (at his prime and not the 44-year-old cancer survivor he was in K-1) or John Tenta would be good choices as well.

Back