Richard Dawkins Accused of Islamophobia

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Richard Dawkin recently tweeted he prefers the sound of English Church Bells over the Muslim Call for Prayer. And he is being called a racist. Is that where we are at now? If you simply prefer the sound of one culture's music to another you are a bad person. Comeon. Do you guys think this is right? I don't. This is the question presented. What level of critique should individuals be allowed to make about other cultures without social shaming or other consequence?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...church-bells-criticism-religion-a8451141.html

Richard Dawkins has been accused of Islamophobia after he suggested the Muslim call to prayer was “aggressive-sounding” compared to the “so much nicer” sound of church bells.

The renowned evolutionary biologist and outspoken atheist posted a picture on Twitter of himself sat outside Winchester Cathedral and asked whether his preference was a result of his “cultural upbringing.”

Last edited:
Church bells do not proclaim that Jesus is the god of the land and that there are no other gods besides him. The Muslim call to prayer is something totally different.

Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest.
I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah
I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
Hasten to the Prayer, hasten to the Prayer
Hasten to real success, hasten to real success
Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest
There is none worthy of worship but Allah.

Compared to

Ding-dong

This is not new ground for Dawkins, this accusation has been with him for a long time, on and off. He's been trying to stay clear of these controversies lately too.

Hasten to the Prayer, hasten to the Prayer
Hasten to real success, hasten to real success
Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest
There is none worthy of worship but Allah.

Compared to

Ding-dong

It is the call to conquest if we are going to be accurate.

This is not new ground for Dawkins, this accusation has been with him for a long time, on and off. He's been trying to stay clear of these controversies lately too.
By calling it a controversy to say that you prefer church bells to a call that proclaims that Allah is the God of the lands basically gives credence to the accusations.

Both religions are far too noisy on the weekend mornings if you ask me.

I remember to this day what my buddy in SLC said about the call to prayer:
"For us it meant a reprieve from being shot at and blown up... for maybe an hour at best then it'd start back up in earnest. Basically that was our only chance to take a shit without mortars going off"

This seems like an obvious conclusion given the available information. This is an obvious subset of his previously stated beliefs. It's a bit odd that any side of this little spat is acting surprised. On the one hand, you have a progressive crowd acting surprised because he's trashing Islam and, on the other, you have a bunch of Christians suddenly crawling out of the woodwork to support the guy.

Dawkins is a C grade pop-philosopher, but the writing for this has been on the wall all along. Both sides acting like it's a big surprising revelation are silly.

When a story uses passive language to say "Person X has been etc, etc., etc." instead of "Noteworthy person describes Person X as etc., etc.," just throw away the story.

I could go my entire life without having to read another "let's freak out about three random Twitter users" threads.

By calling it a controversy to say that you prefer church bells to a call that proclaims that Allah is the God of the lands basically gives credence to the accusations.
No, I'm not lending credibility to anything. It would be a lie to say there isn't a controversy, because there factually is one. You have a very perverted relationship with truth, and your attempted religious molestation of thought is disgusting.

When a story uses passive language to say "Person X has been etc, etc., etc." instead of "Noteworthy person describes Person X as etc., etc.," just throw away the story.

I could go my entire life without having to read another "let's freak out about three random Twitter users" threads.
But then like 3/4s of the WR wouldn't exist.......

AND ALL YOUR LIKES FROM ROASTING FOOLS WOULDN'T EXIST!

No, I'm not lending credibility to anything. It would be a lie to say there isn't a controversy, because there factually is one. You have a very perverted relationship with truth, and your attempted religious molestation of thought is disgusting.
There shouldn't be any controversy, he prefers one thing over another! Big deal!

Look at all the news stories. The Prime Minister of Pakistan's niece is insulting him. It might be manufactured outrage but a lot of people are at the factory.

https://news.google.com/stories/CAA...iwKHbLFDpYQqgIIPjAB&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Back