Rich Piana dead | Page 2

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by JackG1979, Aug 25, 2017.

1. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    Yeah, I guess if you use enough to cause extreme dehydration.

But I believe that's mostly an acute danger (i.e. dying while severely dehydrated). Long-term maybe kidney or liver damage, but's that's a different thing from all the bodybuilders/strength athletes dropping dead out of the blue from sudden heart failure.

2. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    It's not just the extreme dehydration. Don't forget electrolyte imbalance. That's what almost killed this guy. Lasix can fuck your world up.

When it's out of the blue, my default assumption is cocaine. Clen, DNP, etc. It all adds up.

Swoliosis likes this.
  3. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    Got to die to confuse the body, right babe?

4. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    On time out again, big guy?

5. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    RIP Rich Piana. I sent a prayer for him and his family.

Unfortunately, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained.

PUO3 and ripskater like this.
  6. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    why powerlifting? it can't be to cut weight for a weightclass. Or at least I would think that, if they were cutting weight, they would be more extreme than fighters, who aren't dying of diuretics.

7. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    Of course it can be to cut to a weight class. That's exactly what powerlifters who compete in untested federations use.

Fighters can't abuse diuretics like that because they would get USADA'd if they did.

8. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    That surprises me. I did not think weightlifters would be cutting weight more dangerously than fighters. And I mean fighters before drug testing, when it was the wild west of putting things in their bodies.

9. Swoliosis Brown Belt

Swoliosis
    Electrolyte imbalances can throw you into a potentially fatal arrhythmia, throw in cocaine and hardened/clogged blood vessels and you have a recipe for disaster. Sucks what happened to Rich but I'd safely assume he wasn't living the healthiest lifestyle. RIP

10. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    As a healthcare professional in the field of primary prevention, the fact that their lifestyles are glorified frightens me. However if we can learn that these guys take major risks to become marginally famous to a very minute insignificant circle of the population, maybe people will stop trying to emulate their behaviors.It is tough to ignore the awesomeness of arms that size though. That would be cool.

11. Swoliosis Brown Belt

Swoliosis
    Primary prevention is best but the majority of people still decide to choose otherwise. I don't know how many times I've discharged someone from the hospital only to come back for the same thing after not following through with medications or diet changes. Education level plays a big part though.

12. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Oh, no question. Some of my patients are terrible history students. The good thing about what I do, is that I have the time to react to the outcomes of the recommendations in what could be considered a timely manner. I see most of the patients once a year, but I can see results from referrals throughout the year, and we have programs that you can join for more regular follow up.

13. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Big fan of Rich Piana going back to his days as the Mutant brand ambassador. He was really fun to watch. Btw Dave Palumbo said it was a heart attack that caused him to smack his head really hard and it caused a very serious head injury.

Bubzeh likes this.
  14. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    Might do his 8 hour arm workout as a tribute.

bad seed likes this.
  15. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    You wouldn't think non-professional athletes would be doing something more dangerous than professional athletes?

You think in a strange way.

16. boingyman Green Belt

boingyman
    You'd be surprised how many powerlifters cut drastic amount of weight. I remember there was a 165er that would cut down from the 190s. This fed back then was 48 hr weigh-in though. Basically on the platform he was in the 190s, but competed in the 165 class

Guys would be taking diuretics, sitting in Epsom salt baths, in the sauna spitting in a bottle. After they make weight they hook themselves to a IV drinking soup, pedialyte, etc. I was talking to this elite bencher in the 148 class at a meet. I was chatting with him before he was warming up for his flight and he said he was already back up to 170#. I would out bench him raw, but he would smoke me in a bench shirt any day and at a 'lighter' weight class even though we weighed the same on meet day.

This is why IMO, 2-hour weigh-ins are good. I'm also happy raw is so popular now. If I could go back in time I would have never competed and trained in single-ply gear for all those years.

JosephDredd likes this.
  17. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    In all the strength training I've done and all the reading I've done, I have never heard anyone ever talk about weightcutting in lifting until now. Meanwhile, one of the most common talking points in MMA is how wrestlers have influenced the sport with the widespread practise of weightcutting and how fighters should be allowed to rehydrate and how much is too much etc etc.

For that reason I did not expect it to be more serious than in fighting.

18. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    Not sure what to tell you, dude. It's legit one of the most talked about/debated aspects of powerlifting.

rocketskates and NurseKnuckles like this.
  19. Kuggk Purple Belt

Kuggk
    Using drugs and binge eating isn't good for health. Fuck this guy anways

20. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    Yeah, maybe I just missed it.