Rib Injury (Torn Cartilage?)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Achilles00, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Achilles00 Cleveland's Finest

Achilles00
    Hi, everyone. I was an early practitioner of BJJ, having started in the late 90s when I was 17. In 2006, I took a very long break and just started up again about 6 weeks ago. I've kept myself in good shape, but boy does this stuff feel different on a 35 year old body.

Anyway, about a week ago I was grappling with a much heavier guy who was using his weight aggressively. Etiquette gripes aside, my real concern is that I felt a sharp pain in my ribs as he was stacking me. Not a crack or a pop, but a sharp, localized pain. I rolled with a few other partners without much or any additional pain, but at some point I went to roll to escape an omoplata and I felt another sharp pain in the same area and stopped.

The first couple of days afterward were rough, but I took it easy and it's been getting better each day. However, it's still sore to the touch, and my rib(s) are noticeably swollen/protruding in that area. I guess I could have broken something, but it doesn't feel that tender. Some of the guys at the gym said that I "popped" a rib and that my ribs would be permanently misshapen.

I probably should have seen a doctor right away, and I'll go see one this week, but I'm also interested in hearing some feedback from everyone here. Has anyone else had a similar injury? What was your experienced like? Thanks for your input.

2. LatFlare EADC

LatFlare
    sounds like its dislocated.

3. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    OP, like you said yourself, go see a doctor. Guys here are going to throw out all sorts of injuries. It's way better to get that stuff looked at by a professional

Sano likes this.
  4. BOWHUNTER Gender: Attack Chopper

BOWHUNTER
    I have come back after a 7 year lay off. Im 42 now. Im always getting hurt. Everyone wants to go hard on the 200lb guy.

I may start wrecking people.

My neck is fucked and my knee.

LatFlare likes this.
  5. Achilles00 Cleveland's Finest

Achilles00
    See, that's the thing. I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs, and I roll pretty methodically. Always have. Seems like everyone wants to beat up on the little guy, too.

Anyway, I saw a doc today who said that the cartilage seems like it gave in/folded, which is making my rib stick out. Said the only treatment is rest.