Rewatching Old KHABIB Fights - Remember TIBAU?

People keep bringing this fight up and i dont get it. Tibau was on the defensive the entire fight. Had it 30-27 Khabib
Some people think a fighter is winning if they are defending decently. But if you defend decently and dont do shit otherwise, then you're not doing shit. Khabib was more active, more aggressive and more successful implementing his plan than Tibau was.

It's like thinking Gus beat Jones bc we've never seen Jon go that close with someone, but that close was still clear and wouldn't have been close if it hadn't been Jones.

What were the judges smoking that night?

Tibau won at least 2 rounds and you could easily argue he got the 30-27.

Undefeated? Sure, with a MASSIVE ASTERISK.

Khabib_vs_Tibau_3.jpg
There is no chance Tibau won the first or the second. Never watched the third, fight was boring as all hell.

I think it's funny how many people are saying they agree with the decision. When the fight actually occurred, very few people were voicing that opinion on these forums. Now that Khabib is well known, it's funny how opinions change.

Silly goose.

When an "undefeated" record is part of the conversation, EVERY FIGHT FROM EVERY YEAR AGO has ALL THE RELEVANCE to today.

I only give a shit about what's relevant to who can beat Khabib today, and the Tibau fight ain't it!

Is this the thread where we pretend that fan """scoring""" is relevant or matters at all? All I see on the scorecard is that Khabib won according to the judges, the rest is irrelevant.

That's not a problem as long as you are ok with Conor beating Nate in the rematch. A lot of people don't want the rules applied evenly.

I watched the Tibau fight again after Tony Ferguson started hyping up that Khabib lost it.
The judges decision was correct IMO. Khabib won a close fight. The 30/27 is what I would question 29/28 would be fairer.
Also Khabibs striking and all round game has improved from that fight. So I'm not sure what can be learned from it.
The Tibau fight has some relevance when fighting Ferguson who similarities in his style to Tibau but McGregor fights completely differently.
Probably Barbosa is the nearest fight for comparison in that they are both Striker/TDD guys even though they do it different ways.
Conor is a pressure-counter fighter who manages distance extremely well and has good power for the weight class. I don't think Khabib has fought anybody like him yet though in fairness I have not watched all 26 fights.
You could argue that Conor has faced a pressure-grappler before in Mendes but certainly Khabib will be a different animal because he has the size and strength to capitalize on the ground game where Chad was just too small.
Maybe McGregor has made adjustments in TDD we just don't know. He outclassed Alvarez so comprehensively on the feet that TDD wasn't a factor. One thing we can safely assume has improved for Conor is his boxing due to the Mayweather fight.
The Iaquinta fight gives the best indication of where Khabibs striking is at and it didn't look great really.

This is all about who gets to impose his game plan. They each have the others Kryptonite.

Fighters should not be judged based on a single fight. I thought Khabib lost that one. Doesn't make much difference, he's proven himself to be one of the most dominant guys in the UFC. And he's going to sleep come October 6th.
Lol what a turn

What's next Jon Jones did get beaten by Hamill?

What were the judges smoking that night?

Tibau won at least 2 rounds and you could easily argue he got the 30-27.

Undefeated? Sure, with a MASSIVE ASTERISK.

Khabib_vs_Tibau_3.jpg

Lol why should I remember his OLD fights? Talk about his recent fights. They are old for a reason.

Tibau was juicy af

He was on PEDs and it was still close as fuck

He's going to roid up, cut from damn near 200 lbs, and somehow develop a 92 % TDD rate?

Even though I know you weren't serious. For those wondering, Tibau cut from about 182 according to his own words from this post-fight video with Helwani. At 1:24

On a side note. Look at the guys fucking physique. His size and style should be Khabib's kryptonite and Khabib still won. Says a lot about Khabib

Even though I know you weren't serious. For those wondering, Tibau cut from about 182 according to his own words from this post-fight video with Helwani. At 1:24

On a side note. Look at the guys fucking physique. His size and style should be Khabib's kryptonite and Khabib still won. Says a lot about Khabib

Still would have rehydrated to AT LEAST 185 which is crazy. No wonder his freak strength and TDD gave everyone fits. Been legit taken 5 times in the UFC career. Prime Tibau was actually insane

Back