Rewatched the Khabib vs Pat Healy fight

Matt Hughes

Reminded me of that too.

hughes-slams-trigg-o.gif

Healy was the 1st guy to submit Jim Miller I believe. That was something special. He tested positive for THC (damn junky) and it became a NC. After that he lost 3 bouts in a row before being cut (i think). The dude was legit and the nc was bullshit. Weed didn't choke out Miller!
Diaz subbed him first

hijacking this russian thread, @ArtemV you're the russian guy here, where's mustafaev? saw him referenced in another thread and I went to look at him, seem like an interesting fighter. lost to lee but that was like 1 and a half years ago, why he hasn't fought since then?

I don't think anything Pat Healy has ever done should be used as an mmasuring stick.
lol BS Healy was ranked in the top 10 at the time and dominated Miller right before

hijacking this russian thread, @ArtemV you're the russian guy here, where's mustafaev? saw him referenced in another thread and I went to look at him, seem like an interesting fighter. lost to lee but that was like 1 and a half years ago, why he hasn't fought since then?
Mustafaev got an arm injury (possibly broken arm) after his fight with Lee and has spent the greater part of last year trying to go through rehab. He is back sparring now at ATT. So hopefully we may see something after summer.

Mustafaev got an arm injury (possibly broken arm) after his fight with Lee and has spent the greater part of last year trying to go through rehab. He is back sparring now at ATT. So hopefully we may see something after summer.
yeah I saw that injury but I thought, it's like 1 hear and a half since that so I thought he had gotten better but maybe gave up on MMA or something

I forgot about this fight, Khabib looked good in it and Healy is very tough for taking heavy shots and getting taken down numerous times. It was a good learning experience for Khabib, because he could go 15 minutes at a high pace. Now Khabib has much better strength and conditioning and can probably go 25 minutes with a higher pace.

Ferg is NCAA div ll wrestler as well

Oh noez

This, I definitely think he’s a better wrestler than Tony.

Tony’s grappling is based on creating scrambles and locking in chokes in those scrambles. I don’t think he’s going to have much in terms of stopping the TD and on the ground, i know he’s a beast and can attack with elbows and subs, but, Khabib is going to maul him. It’s not going to be pretty at all. Khabib will stay in half guard and just beat the snot out of Tony.

Tony is an amazing fighter, but, he’s running straight into the Juggernaut.

Edit: Just saw I’m a silver belt!
agreed, here

and I love Tony

but great analysis

congrats on yer silver!

That was Khabib from a long time ago. He mauled RDA, who is 110% a grappler that is superior to Healey.

This fight with Tony is going to be a blow out, as Khabib is getting better and better and Tony is getting older and increasingly best up in each fight. I'd love to be wrong tho!
The RDA fight wasn't a mauling at all

I remember watching a video explaining what makes so good. Apparently, he used three different styles of ground and pound and transitions beautifully between them all. I think one style is what Demian Maia does, the other Askren and the other might be GSP. Might have the wrong. Khabib does the folkstyle, head into the body of oppnent and staying balanced like Maia and something else that makes Askren so dominant. He uses all three really well making him so much hard work for his opponent underneath.

One thing I've noticed that Khabib does compared to a lot of guys is that he likes to stay on his feet rather than his knees when on top. He is just so insanely strong and has amazing hips as it is very hard to hold guys down on your feet as it is harder to stay heavy and closer compared to when you are on your knees. The obvious advantage is that you can land harder shots and posture up easier.

He fought really well for the first two rounds (relative to the rest of Khabib's opponents) but only in the third he wasn't able to get up from his TDs and got mauled in traditional fashion. He defended a ton of TDs and kept the fight standing for the majority of the fight, making it mostly a striking match.

Would you say he is a superior grappler to Tony Ferguson or could we see a similar dynamic in their upcoming fight?
You have to take into account that Khabib seems to improve with every fight.

I don't think Tony is going to fight the takedowns much at all. I think he is going to try and land with Khabib in his gaurd and then try to elbow the living shit out of him and cut him up. If a sub shows it's self he will threaten it but mark my words, 90% of Tonys gameplay is going to be elbows from bottom

One thing I've noticed that Khabib does compared to a lot of guys is that he likes to stay on his feet rather than his knees when on top. He is just so insanely strong and has amazing hips as it is very hard to hold guys down on your feet as it is harder to stay heavy and closer compared to when you are on your knees. The obvious advantage is that you can land harder shots and posture up easier.
Most people dont have the confidence and skills to do that. Most people standing up would lose the position and the guy would go free.

Still calling a fight where the loser came out unscathed and was never in the sight of any danger a mauling is ridiculous
RDA didn't come out unscathed. He came out better than most others but he still got handled. Like I said Dominated but not quite mauled.

RDA didn't come out unscathed. He came out better than most others but he still got handled. Like I said Dominated but not quite mauled.
Far from mauled still.
It was a dominant wrestling perfomance, but that´s it.

Back