Rewatched the Khabib vs Pat Healy fight

Yangpetrus

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
He fought really well for the first two rounds (relative to the rest of Khabib's opponents) but only in the third he wasn't able to get up from his TDs and got mauled in traditional fashion. He defended a ton of TDs and kept the fight standing for the majority of the fight, making it mostly a striking match.

Would you say he is a superior grappler to Tony Ferguson or could we see a similar dynamic in their upcoming fight?

1405f-3.gif

I don't think anything Pat Healy has ever done should be used as an mmasuring stick.

Haely was NCAA div 2 so he was no push over in that department. I need to rewatch that fight before I weigh in more on it.

Haely was a decent sized WW back in the day. The fact that Khabib still had the strength to do that in the third round...wow. DC really rubbed off on him lol.

Last edited:
Healy was the 1st guy to submit Jim Miller I believe. That was something special. He tested positive for THC (damn junky) and it became a NC. After that he lost 3 bouts in a row before being cut (i think). The dude was legit and the nc was bullshit. Weed didn't choke out Miller!

Haely was NCAA div 2 so he was no push over in that department. I need to rewatch that fight before I weigh in more on it.

This, I definitely think he’s a better wrestler than Tony.

Tony’s grappling is based on creating scrambles and locking in chokes in those scrambles. I don’t think he’s going to have much in terms of stopping the TD and on the ground, i know he’s a beast and can attack with elbows and subs, but, Khabib is going to maul him. It’s not going to be pretty at all. Khabib will stay in half guard and just beat the snot out of Tony.

Tony is an amazing fighter, but, he’s running straight into the Juggernaut.

Edit: Just saw I’m a silver belt!

I remember watching a video explaining what makes so good. Apparently, he used three different styles of ground and pound and transitions beautifully between them all. I think one style is what Demian Maia does, the other Askren and the other might be GSP. Might have the wrong. Khabib does the folkstyle, head into the body of oppnent and staying balanced like Maia and something else that makes Askren so dominant. He uses all three really well making him so much hard work for his opponent underneath.

This, I definitely think he’s a better wrestler than Tony.

Tony’s grappling is based on creating scrambles and locking in chokes in those scrambles. I don’t think he’s going to have much in terms of stopping the TD and on the ground, i know he’s a beast and can attack with elbows and subs, but, Khabib is going to maul him. It’s not going to be pretty at all. Khabib will stay in half guard and just beat the snot out of Tony.

Tony is an amazing fighter, but, he’s running straight into the Juggernaut.

Edit: Just saw I’m a silver belt!
Congrats on the belt!

Tony has a lot to offer in this fight and can deal lots of damage on the feet and from guard. However, like you said, his road to success is very hard to achieve. He either has to dominate scrambles or keep Khabib locked in guard. Both are doable because Tony knows his shit...but doing it against Khabib is not gonna be easy.

I favor Khabib but no result would surprise me.

Tony doesn’t have good TDD. Especially surprising given his wrestling background. He doesn’t have one shot KO power either. He’s not that physically strong either.

The only reasonable chance I see for him, is IF Khabib has a bad weight cut and gasses out in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.

He fought really well for the first two rounds (relative to the rest of Khabib's opponents) but only in the third he wasn't able to get up from his TDs and got mauled in traditional fashion. He defended a ton of TDs and kept the fight standing for the majority of the fight, making it mostly a striking match.

Would you say he is a superior grappler to Tony Ferguson or could we see a similar dynamic in their upcoming fight?
I did NOT rewatch Khabib vs Pat Healy.

That was Khabib from a long time ago. He mauled RDA, who is 110% a grappler that is superior to Healey.

This fight with Tony is going to be a blow out, as Khabib is getting better and better and Tony is getting older and increasingly best up in each fight. I'd love to be wrong tho!

Khabib has gotten a lot better at top control. People used to get up from under him a lot, that's why he had so many takedowns. He credits rocksalt for his better control on top

Back