Rewatched original Karate Kid movie and got to thinking ... this couldn't happen today

Of course it wouldn't happen today. You'd get laughed at for trying to learn karate.

if anything Part II is the ridiculous part

dude spent his college savings to randomly go to Okinawa w/ Mr. Miyagi, then fights his enemy's nephew to the death? while the town is playing some drum thing? Then survives a major Cyclone?
I've been to Okinawi, it sucks balls. It's basically peasant Japan.

if anything Part II is the ridiculous part

dude spent his college savings to randomly go to Okinawa w/ Mr. Miyagi, then fights his enemy's nephew to the death? while the town is playing some drum thing? Then survives a major Cyclone?
I've been to Okinawi, it sucks balls. It's basically peasant Japan.

spoiler alert dawg I only seen the first one

Elisabeth Shue for the win...

The only thing I payed attention to in that movie as a kid..

IIRC, Miyagi beat down a few HS kids in the movie also. I can’t see that being acceptable these days.

He was 16 in the movie (learned to drive in it, then got his license, Miyagi then gave him that sweet classic car that Allie wrecked), it wasn't a 10-12 year old with some creepy looking guy.

People would call it SJW trash if it was made today imo. It has an Asian in it

Miyagi was probably banging the mom IMO

giphy.gif

I think this modern world ruined me or I'm too cynical now

Can't help but think that as a parent I wouldn't trust my boy with some random guy.

Honestly to anyone who's a parent who would be ok with

"Hey that old man we just met and don't know anything about is teaching me about karate! We're spending a lot of time together! He taught me how to wax off"

That's all I'm getting at - I never saw the Jackie Chan remake but to make this movie today they would have to at least give the guy a background check first amirite

I do find it notable even within my lifetime(so members from the early 80's onwards) that whilst society has become less racist/homophobic/etc it also does seem to have become more fearful and conservative as well.

Its definitely not what I expected growing up where there was a feeling things were going to carry on in the direction of more openness from the 60's indefinitely.

I think this modern world ruined me or I'm too cynical now

Can't help but think that as a parent I wouldn't trust my boy with some random guy.

Honestly to anyone who's a parent who would be ok with

"Hey that old man we just met and don't know anything about is teaching me about karate! We're spending a lot of time together! He taught me how to wax off"

That's all I'm getting at - I never saw the Jackie Chan remake but to make this movie today they would have to at least give the guy a background check first amirite

Hey, it’s better than Boy Scouts.

He was 16 in the movie (learned to drive in it, then got his license, Miyagi then gave him that sweet classic car that Allie wrecked), it wasn't a 10-12 year old with some creepy looking guy.

So a sugar daddy is what you’re saying.

Back