Rewatched my 2017 FOTY (Canelo/GGG)

borntoloseNOT

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
First time seeing this fight, I had it a draw. I watched it again the other day while drinking, I hadn't been able to find it on youtube for the longest time in it's entirety for whatever reason, but I was tipsy and wound up scoring it a draw again because most of the rounds were too hard to score while drunk. Well, I re-scored last night and tonight sober, and both times got the same result: 7-5 Canelo.

I got no problem with the draw, I can see exactly why one would score it for GGG, but I'm thankful Canelo didn't get screwed with a loss either.

Has anyone else rewatched and had a different score than fight night?

Inb4 you catch a ton of shit.

Personally I had it a draw. I have a hard time seeing Canelo get the W and a slightly easier time seeing GGG. But I think it was a good decision.

First time seeing this fight, I had it a draw. I watched it again the other day while drinking, I hadn't been able to find it on youtube for the longest time in it's entirety for whatever reason, but I was tipsy and wound up scoring it a draw again because most of the rounds were too hard to score while drunk. Well, I re-scored last night and tonight sober, and both times got the same result: 7-5 Canelo.

I got no problem with the draw, I can see exactly why one would score it for GGG, but I'm thankful Canelo didn't get screwed with a loss either.

Yeah but I have one word for you
Clenbutral

Screwed with another loss. Do you think he beat Floyd?

If you had 2 different fighters in there with the exact same fight no one would complain about a draw. It’s purely because it’s canelo and Byrd’s scorecard. I scored it a draw, possibly 7-5 either way and I have Canelo winning a rematch

Screwed with another loss. Do you think he beat Floyd?
Hell no. If you are going to act like I'm picking favorites, why would you assume I'd score against Floyd? I'm a huge Mayweather fan.

You have to score shots GGG didn't land to see the fight for him IMO, he got slipped, blocked and countered all night. Yes he landed, but not like the punch stats indicate.

7-5 isn't a huge slam on GGG, especially in a drawish fight. Still to this day a draw seems perfect because of how we still all argue this fight, but I personally change my score from 6-6 to 7-5 Canelo, because unlike the judges on fight night, I can go back a review the fight again.

Def Canelo caught him with the cleaner harder shots and boxed his socks off.

Draw my ass. I mean I accept the judge's decision. Gennady took some hard punches flush I'll give him that.

keep watching it, over and over. by the time of the rematch your score of the first fight will match that of adalaide byrd.

keep watching it, over and over. by the time of the rematch your score of the first fight will match that of adalaide byrd.

I don't know. I had a reasonable amount of money on Golovkin by decision, and I saw it live 7-5 Canelo. Upon 3 rewatches, I've had it 7-5 Golovkin, and then two draws. It was a drawish fight in my eyes with a ton of close rounds. Byrd's card was absurd, but the other two weren't.

It is a drawish fight. I changed my mind several times about Hagler - Leonard and I can see how this one will be similar on that regard.

I had it 7-5 canelo live. Draw rewatch. Canelos defence was phenomenal that night. Made him miss so much.

God forbid that the two best middleweights in the world have a close and hotly contested fight, right?

7-5 in either direction or 6-6 are all totally reasonable conclusions depending on how you like to score fights but the internet is lousy with morons who will jump at the opportunity to scream highway robbery.

I’ve watched it three times and always had it 7-5 GGG. I would, however, favour Canelo in a rematch.

Def Canelo caught him with the cleaner harder shots and boxed his socks off.

Draw my ass. I mean I accept the judge's decision. Gennady took some hard punches flush I'll give him that.
He was letting Canelo hit him -Abel

I had it for Canelo (shocke) draw is acceptable due to how you favor scoring

The judge is the one who should be tested with that wide score

That happened in the clear Mayweather win one judge had it crazy score

Kind of tells me Leoffler and De la Hoya will both be looking on which judges they can influence.

I remember Harold saying that judges to get influenced by crowed and also take into account who the promoter with power is involved due to future favors that are done.. Better accommodations. Etc

Last edited:
Lol just rewatched this morning on HBO’s YouTube channel. I was drinking the first time I watched also and thought GGG all day, watching this time I thought it was super close but still scored it 7-5 GGG. Some really close rounds make a draw understandable

it was a close fight that could swing either way. I saw it for Golovkin, and the 118-110 card was stupid, but anything between 115-113 for either guy (I could maybe see 116-112 for GGG) is reasonable.

"muh jab spamming"

Nope, GGG didn't get robbed . It was a close fight and the draw was a solid decision.

Back