Rewatched Floyd-De la Hoya

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
i thought floyd won....but I was actually pretty underwhelmed with how Floyd fought that night tbh. Was really inactive, allowed Oscar to bully him a ton ( although Oscar wasn't very effective). Anyone else feel that way or am I totally off here?

Upon rewatching, I definitely think a prime dlh would gave been a real problem for floyd.

I think a few years prior, DLH probably could have beaten Mayweather. I thought the fight was close, definitely some fuckery with the DLH card, but still competitive. Oscar clearly won some rounds and his length trouble Floyd at times.

i thought floyd won....but I was actually pretty underwhelmed with how Floyd fought that night tbh. Was really inactive, allowed Oscar to bully him a ton ( although Oscar wasn't very effective). Anyone else feel that way or am I totally off here?

Upon rewatching, I definitely think a prime dlh would gave been a real problem for floyd.

I think Oscar's size and skill would've given him trouble. But Floyd was more offensive at lower weight though; assuming the fight happened at SFW/lightweight, I don't think it looks the same.

That fight is pretty lackluster though. It's a good display of defense but there really isn't any drama.

Yeah, I felt the same watching it and the broadcasters too, if I remember correctly.
And to think there are people in this forum that believe he could outbox Marvin Hagler.

Yeah, I felt the same watching it and the broadcasters too, if I remember correctly.
And to think there are people in this forum that believe he could outbox Marvin Hagler.

Hagler and DLH are pretty different stylistically. They're pretty comparable in size though.

that fight is so long ago... but yeah, my recollection is similar to yours.

Floyd was smaller at that time still young and didn't get used to the weight yet and hes just not a 155 pound fighter. he got a little bigger but not much . If the fight happened at 147 Floyd runs threw him like he did Shane Mosley. Floyd was stronger faster at his natural weight at 147 he beats him like he did Shane .

Hell Floyd comes in at 149 150 pounds for those fights hes pushing his limit he still cant make 155 now fighting Mcagreger he cam in at that fight at 150 pounds 149 pounds he still cant make 155 years later.

And hes eating McDonald LOL burgers and fries when training for a fight. its on video HBO 24-7

Yup. Floyd did enough to pick up in spots when DLH got off his jab. When he stayed on his jab, Floyd was over-reacting to it (solid pressure behind a jab is a serious frustration for counter-fighters).

DLH also gets respect for targeting guys when they were legit killers in their prime. If you look at the top rankings and the p4p's at the time, he was moving right at guys that he could have avoided to protect some bullshit legacy. Instead, people respect that he fought guys at their absolute best. Did he have some guys that were still prime but a bit past their peak? Sure - JCC and Pernell were solid wins but they were just a shade past at a weight class about their best fighting weight, but look at the list:

Trinidad
Mosley twice
B-hop (at a weight that was well above Oscar's better fighting weights) - it's worth mentioning Oscar actually had some strong moments in that fight
Mayweather (at Mayweather's peak of physical skill)
Pacquiao - he actually went into the fight as the favourite, but didn't have to take such a dangerous fight

The Trinidad and Mosley fights were argued to go either way and even a rusty DLH gave Floyd one of his toughest fights for a split decision.

Nobody is gonna walk through a list like that and not be defeated at least a couple of times.

The man is training for a championship fight stopping at Mc D's only a skilled fighter who trains like a beast could pull that off and who shouldn't be fighting at 155 pounds hell he does this fighting at 147 LOL Other fighters eating fruit and skinless Turkey fish Chicken breast to make weight, this fool is eating Mc D's.

Floyd Mayweather can

I think a few years prior, DLH probably could have beaten Mayweather.
A few years prior to the Oscar fight Floyd was fighting at 135 whilst Oscar was fighting at 160. Floyd had 3 fights at 140, 3 fights at 147 and jumped up to 154 for the first time in his career to fight Oscar on his terms because he was the B side. Floyd couldn't even make weight weighing in at 150 and came in to the fight at 149 yet still beat him. Doing that at that level of competition was extremely impressive. Remember when Brook jumped up against GGG, Gonzalez jumped up against Srisaket or when Khan jumped up against Canelo?

People also need to realize Floyd is a defensive fighter. Some fighters can look ok against other top fighters but look amazing against a lower level fighters whilst defensive fighters (sometimes) wont look much different against different levels of competition. Floyds fights against Berto and Pacquiao for example. So to say Oscar could of beaten Floyd earlier based off how Floyd looked against him is the wrong way to look at it. Floyd sometimes plays it safe and does just enough to win instead of overdoing it especially in his more important fights against Pacquiao and Oscar.

Not a once of fat and Canelo looks like hes on a bad unhealthy diet not made by a Doctor in this pic Canelo's not that big doesn't look any bigger than Floyd and nobody can tell me 152 pounds then and 160 pounds now. 9 pounds Is gonna be that big of a difference 9 pounds no way in hell. Hes not eating right cause he walks around at 200 pounds and has to take off to much weight his body cant handle it so he looses to much muscle and has to loose the rest in water weight.
Floyd+Mayweather+Jr+v+Canelo+Alvarez+Weigh+aKGrt761wowl.jpg

A few years prior to the Oscar fight Floyd was fighting at 135 whilst Oscar was fighting at 160. Floyd had 3 fights at 140, 3 fights at 147 and jumped up to 154 for the first time in his career to fight Oscar on his terms because he was the B side. Floyd couldn't even make weight weighing in at 150 and came in to the fight at 149 yet still beat him. Doing that at that level of competition was extremely impressive. Remember when Brook jumped up against GGG, Gonzalez jumped up against Srisaket or when Khan jumped up against Canelo?

People also need to realize Floyd is a defensive fighter. Some fighters can look ok against other top fighters but look amazing against a lower level fighters whilst defensive fighters (sometimes) wont look much different against different levels of competition. Floyds fights against Berto and Pacquiao for example. So to say Oscar could of beaten Floyd earlier based off how Floyd looked against him is the wrong way to look at it. Floyd sometimes plays it safe and does just enough to win instead of overdoing it especially in his more important fights against Pacquiao and Oscar.

Only skill can take you so far your fighting guys that walk around at 180 to 190 pounds training still. fighting at 155 and you walk around at 150 to 155 pounds training still and they 5 ft 11 and you are 5 ft 8 that's a big gap in size and strength

The only boxers that are not training stil even when not in training camp are not any good and are only looking for paydays and no they will never be champ or over the hill fighters

That's why he thinks its strange that people want him to fight at 160 he cant make the weight and GGG is just to much for him not because of skill but size hes to big

But at 147 pounds Floyd runs threw Oscar easier work .Oscar has a disadvantage that he didn't have at 155 pounds strength, look at the Oscar vs Pacuiao fight and he will get his answer Floyd and Oscar at 147 even a younger Oscar gets beat like Shane.

Floyd's adjustment to DLH's jab was really interesting to watch. Besides that, not exactly a thriller. A younger DLH and a fight at 135 would have been more eventful.

It was a tedious but skillful match. I think DLH's strategy and physical attributes definitely reduced Floyd's opportunities. The fact DLH wasn't all that effective anyways yet still competitive really highlights the importance of a jab against Floyd.

In his prime I could see Oscar winning but Floyd would definitely react differently.

Back