Revisiting one of the strangest fights ever

This is driving me nuts!!! Someone please remind me, who were the 2 fighters involved in the fight where the grappler was begging his opponent to come to the ground so they could rest? "No grapple, just rest...." I think was the line. I remember this story but cant remember who the hell told it.

Was it Werdum vs. Overeem? (The first fight, in Strikeforce.) I remember Werdum butt scooting and talking a lot, and that sounds like just the kind of weird shit he would say.

We are talking about a guy that once checked in to rehab for addiction to Rohypnol. He was roofying himself on the daily.
For someone who wants to forget things, it almost makes sense.

Almost.

I need to rewatch that fight, Joe definitely had something to say about him during the fight

And apparently the fucker is still competing today! I saw him fight somewhere a couple of years back and he was cheating little bollocks in that fight, no idea where it was though
It was an interview Joe gave sometime around then. Major props if you find it. I thought it was after UFC 75 in London but when I checked, Crocata actually fought on the next card.

Was it Werdum vs. Overeem? (The first fight, in Strikeforce.) I remember Werdum butt scooting and talking a lot, and that sounds like just the kind of weird shit he would say.
I don't think so man. I feel like the grappler may have been Werdum but the guy I remember telling the story was funnier than Overeem.

For real?

33895461615_4d3e829d10_z.jpg
http://forum.mmajunkie.com/forum/threads/paulo-filho-addicted-to-rufies.1042/

Exactly! Word for word, I felt this way. (Interestingly, I guess his parents were commune-living hippies; I would have figured him for the Ian McCall/Justin Levens rich SoCal white boy crowd.)

Once he'd lost a few fights, gotten a few years older, and started taking younger fighters under his wing, I started to like him a lot better. By the end of his career I was a fan. Seeing him and Cruz squash the beef at the Fox desk after his last fight was actually kind of sweet, because you know Cruz wouldn't actually say something nice like that if he didn't mean it, lol.

I got the impression they actually started to like each other after they did the season of TUF but still had to keep up the rivalry to build hype.

It was an interview Joe gave sometime around then. Major props if you find it. I thought it was after UFC 75 in London but when I checked, Crocata actually fought on the next card.
I remember Paul Taylor knocking Crocota out in Manchester, UFC 70. Freaking amazing card, and the first time we had a UFC in the UK in 5 years or so? That was an awesome night of fights for a UK head, Taylor, Etim, Bisping all represented

I remember Paul Taylor knocking Crocota out in Manchester, UFC 70. Freaking amazing card, and the first time we had a UFC in the UK in 5 years or so? That was an awesome night of fights for a UK head, Taylor, Etim, Bisping all represented
Thats was the card!!! It was a Joe Rogan interview right before or right after that card. Its so hard to find old MMA videos.

The only thing similar I can remember was Oliver McCall in boxing. Dude was looking around and sobbing in the ring, very unsettling.

Thats was the card!!! It was a Joe Rogan interview right before or right after that card. Its so hard to find old MMA videos.
Nice, I'll look for it tonight, might be on the dvd as an extra

There was an interview about 6 months ago with him. He talks about his drug problems.

Said it started in San Diego after his first fight with Sonnen. He was wasted in a bar and some mexican offered him cocaine and he liked it. After a while in Brazil he had the opportunity to use it again and got addicted.

Said he did a few fights after doing some cocaine. Not right after, but like after a night out with drugs, fighting tired and hung over. And that he did one fight high on cocaine.

After he started with suicidal thoughts he decided to get help and quit.

I found this as Chaels own version (looks like my memory was a fiction created by someone)
“Paulo Filho put me in a submission and the ref stopped the fight, and I remember one of the promoters came in afterward and said the camera did not pick up the tap,” Sonnen said. “The message there to me was to deny the tap happened and we do a rematch. In my post-fight speech, I said I didn’t tap and questioned why the referee stopped it. I did tap, but we were getting ready to do a rematch. I had an executive director of [the Nevada athletic commission] want to pull my license for making that claim and making his referee look bad. I was like, ‘You have to be kidding me. There were four different cameras there and an entire room full of people. Of course I tapped.’

And Keith Kizer, NSAC, wasn't happy about it

He also would likely need to answer questions about his pending sentencing on a federal charge of money laundering and his criticism of referee Josh Rosenthal following his fight with Paulo Filho at WEC 31. (Sonnen claimed he didn’t submit to Filho in the second round of the fight.)

“You want to criticize a referee and say, ‘I don’t think he did a very good job,’ that’s one thing,” Kizer said. “But to out and out lie about what happened in the match is a different thing. So I think that will get brought up as well because I’d bring it up.”

Makes Sense. Chael is a natural born cheater, did same shit against Silva.

I found this as Chaels own version (looks like my memory was a fiction created by someone)
“Paulo Filho put me in a submission and the ref stopped the fight, and I remember one of the promoters came in afterward and said the camera did not pick up the tap,” Sonnen said. “The message there to me was to deny the tap happened and we do a rematch. In my post-fight speech, I said I didn’t tap and questioned why the referee stopped it. I did tap, but we were getting ready to do a rematch. I had an executive director of [the Nevada athletic commission] want to pull my license for making that claim and making his referee look bad. I was like, ‘You have to be kidding me. There were four different cameras there and an entire room full of people. Of course I tapped.’

And Keith Kizer, NSAC, wasn't happy about it

He also would likely need to answer questions about his pending sentencing on a federal charge of money laundering and his criticism of referee Josh Rosenthal following his fight with Paulo Filho at WEC 31. (Sonnen claimed he didn’t submit to Filho in the second round of the fight.)

“You want to criticize a referee and say, ‘I don’t think he did a very good job,’ that’s one thing,” Kizer said. “But to out and out lie about what happened in the match is a different thing. So I think that will get brought up as well because I’d bring it up.”

If this is true why was he yelling at the ref immediately after the stoppage?

Filho blatantly grabbed the cage to lock in the sub, but I don't think Chael was in position to see that

If this is true why was he yelling at the ref immediately after the stoppage?

Filho blatantly grabbed the cage to lock in the sub, but I don't think Chael was in position to see that
it does sound a little too elaborate doesn't it

poor Paulo. he was addicted to opiates at the time, and seeing things that weren't there.

he deserves to be mentioned in another thread about 'could have been great's'

Back