1174159474.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1174159509.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Manufacturer's description:
Innovative dual angle "V" strap Wrist-lock 2 system:
Narrow fit like a fight glove.
Rival's trademark 15

I use these gloves only for sparring, twice a week.They're still in perfect condition.I can't complain from the wrist support or the padding.They're protective also for your sparring partner.If you want actual pictures tell me.

My buddy owns these and he also really likes them. His only complaint is the inner mesh lining. When he first got them he put in a few rounds on the heavy bag to break them in and they were rubbing skin off his hands.

I tried them for a few rounds, and I have to agree. The wrist closure is pretty cool, the padding is nice, opening and closing the gloves are easy, but that mesh lining is annoying. If it wasn't for the lining, I'd probably grab a pair.

How's your experience with the lining?

Im also wondering about the liner? It seems to be the only downside to these gloves in other reviews. Does it really scrape as much as they say?

i had the bag glove version of this and yes the lining is pretty coarse. It's annoyingly abrasive and really does rub you the wrong way:icon_conf

i had the bag glove version of this and yes the lining is pretty coarse. It's annoyingly abrasive and really does rub you the wrong way:icon_conf

what is your opinion of these gloves? RB11
the size is good? i want to buy size L

thank you

After lurking for a while I thought I'd join the forum to respond with my own thoughts and experience of the Rival RS11V Evo 16oz gloves.

Rival-Evolution-Sparring-Gloves-blackwhite-760x600.jpg

Firstly, I'm 6'4, 196lbs and play piano and guitar so not only are my hands and fingers pretty long and slender, they are also very important to me and were always getting injured with other gloves - Title, Everlast etc. I also suffered with wrist problems whenever I pounded the heavy bag.

I spent an age researching the market for a quality glove with great padding/protection and excellent wrist support.

All things pointed to the Winning gloves, but I gather that the Velcro version doesn't offer great wrist support and I didn't want lace ups for all the usual training / sparring reasons of convenience. Plus, with the best will in the world, I can't really afford to spend that much on gloves at the moment.

I'd heard so many good reports on Rival gloves and after looking in depth, the RS11V with it's wrist lock system and great cushioning seemed ideal, so I took the plunge and ordered a pair.

Here are my findings...

Quality & Materials: 10/10
Straight out of the box it is obvious that these are a VERY high quality product - noticeably better than any of the other gloves I've used and whilst I've never handled a pair of Winnings, they are at least on a par with Reyes, and dare I say it, maybe even a little better. The stitching, accuracy and general feel are absolutely top notch - seriously, they are beautifully put together. Everything is precise, neat, accurate and consistent from glove to glove. The synthetic leather is fabulous and the embroidery and design printing is perfectly done and feels like it will last and last.

Weight: 10/10
Again, these feel lighter than any other 16 oz glove I've ever worn and whilst working the pads feel more like 12oz gloves. You just feel lighter and faster, not much else to say - they are very light, but still feel solid.

EDIT: Following a request, I have just weighed them and they both came in at exactly 13.94oz, which corresponds with other owners findings.

Size: 9/10
Some 16oz gloves feel like pillows in your hand - these don't. They are very compact and don't completely block your view behind your guard. There's only so much variation in size between gloves, but these are definitely on the smaller, more compact side of the fence. I felt a little more 'free' and mobile in them - difficult to pinpoint exactly, but I definitely felt I had a touch more 'space' to work with.

Comfort & Fit: 8/10
This is always going to be subjective as everyone has different size hands. As I said, mine are long. First thing you notice compared to some gloves is that the gloves is formed almost in a natural fist before you start and requires very little effort or movement to fully clench. As soon as I put them of, they felt like they were my gloves that had been designed just for me.
The thumb position and attachment is perfect to the point that you're not even aware of it to form an opinion, it's just right.
One thing I always suffer with is my long fingers press too firmly against the end of gloves when I clench a fist, but in these, whilst I can feel the end, they don't press uncomfortably so are great if you have long hands / fingers.
The grip bar across the palm is great, although I found it's position a little high against my little finger and am only just able get my knuckle round it, nothing major - we're all different shapes and this is forgotten after the first punch.
I've read a few complaints about the mesh liner causing abrasions. I can see how it might... ish... but in all honesty I didn't find it a problem, even when fresh out of the box. I wrap my hands which totally eliminates any possible rubbing anyway so was never going to be an issue. I used them without wraps for the first session and didn't notice any abrasive discomfort. The gloves are a nice snug fit, but not too tight and still have enough room for 180" wraps. One thing I did notice though is that due to the nature of of the mesh lining, after a session, they need to er... dry out a while as I got very sweaty. No biggie.

Padding & Protection: 9/10
These are a big step up in the protection stakes and I instantly noticed less hand pain after a meeting of minds with the heavy bag. The padding is solid and they felt broken in after just one session. They are not overly cushioned though, and if there is such a thing with 16oz gloves, these are what I'd refer to as punchers. You can definitely feel the power. Best way to describe them is that if you really bang the bag and don't catch it square of flush, you can still feel your knuckles connect a little and I have still have the odd sore knuckle or hand in general if I've been sloppy, but nothing like what I experienced with other gloves, so definitely very protective, although part of this is having weak and pathetic hands.
Landing flush with power still lets you feel it right up your arm to your shoulder which I enjoy. Put it this way, I'd be happier if my sparring partner wasn't wearing these if you know what I mean!
Where these gloves excel and are leagues ahead of anything else is the clever wrist lock fastening dual-V velcro strap. It's brilliant. The way it works is ingenious and you can easily fasten up the second glove whilst wearing the first. The wrist support offered is exceptional and I'd be as bold to say as it must be the best glove out there in this department. It locks everything from the middle of your forearm to the base of your thumb solid and feels absolutely terrific.

Style & Design: 10/10
Again, VERY subjective. Traditional / old school they are not, but neither is the Rival brand. They are relative newcomers to the market and have embraced this with a high tech and modern design that might not be for everyone. I personally think they look great. I chose the black and white versions which are very striking. Not much else to say.

Value for Money: 10/10
I'll be brief - for the money, nothing comes close. Period. If they were double the price, they could easily justify it against the most expensive gloves, especially given the quality of material and manufacture.

Overall: 9/10
Winning gloves exist, so if they score a 10, these are a 9. Very high quality, excellent size, weight, fit, feel, comfort and protection. One or two small elements might not be to everyone's preferences, but very few products are perfect.

Highly recommended.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of purchasing these gloves.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments^

Weight: 10/10
Again, these feel lighter than any other 16 oz glove I've ever worn and whilst working the pads feel more like 12oz gloves. You just feel lighter and faster, not much else to say - they are very light, but still feel solid.

What's the actual weight then?

Good review but yeah whats the actual weight on the gloves?

Thanks for the comments^

What's the actual weight then?

Just put them on some very accurate kitchen scales and they both weighed an identical 13.94oz

There's a youtube video of someone weighing them and they also came in at just under 14oz.

Still, it says 16oz on the label so wadda you gonna do, huh? Glove 'em up Jonny, here it comes!

:D

My buddy owns these and he also really likes them. His only complaint is the inner mesh lining. When he first got them he put in a few rounds on the heavy bag to break them in and they were rubbing skin off his hands.

I tried them for a few rounds, and I have to agree. The wrist closure is pretty cool, the padding is nice, opening and closing the gloves are easy, but that mesh lining is annoying. If it wasn't for the lining, I'd probably grab a pair.

How's your experience with the lining?

Interesting you mention the rough lining. One of my sparring partners uses these gloves for pretty much everything and i noticed the skin on his knuckles were torn up. Also I noticed the padding on these gloves is a bit stiff. Not the greatest glove to get hit with but hey, better than the usual walmart everlasts.

My buddy's been using this glove as his main sparring glove for over a year now, and the foam is still very soft. He strictly uses them for sparring, so that's probably why the foam on his gloves are still good. He tried to use them as his everything glove, but they kept rubbing the skin off the back of his fingers at the joint.

Shame about the lining, I really like getting hit by these gloves (if you can like getting hit). The higher end Rival sparring gloves (RS1, RS2V, and RS11V), Top Tens, and Winnings are my favorite gloves to spar against.

Interesting you mention the rough lining. One of my sparring partners uses these gloves for pretty much everything and i noticed the skin on his knuckles were torn up. Also I noticed the padding on these gloves is a bit stiff. Not the greatest glove to get hit with but hey, better than the usual walmart everlasts.

Just got my pair of 16oz.

Both weigh exactly 15.36oz.

Back