Review: Koral MKM Black Gi and Jiu Jitsu ProGear *Tons of Pics*

good review, is it just me or are most of the new gi reviews getting better

Good review. Those pants look really short on you, as you said. Have you thought about getting another pair of pants?

I was thinking about it but am not quite sure if I want to do that. The only places I've seen online that sell Gi pants separately are in the US. And to have them ship it to me in Canada and pay duties, taxes, customs, etc. I'm not sure it would be worth it...:icon_neut

Are you serious?

Yup. If you live in Ontario and you order from RDFC you gotta pay PST and GST too. They are located in Ontario as well, that is why.

I used to have the white top black pants one. Top ripped after 2 years beyond repair. It already had 2 holes and the sleeve ends were open too. The pants have 3 holes and one knee is almost totally fucked.
Korals look nice but they are overpriced for what you get.

I was thinking about it but am not quite sure if I want to do that. The only places I've seen online that sell Gi pants separately are in the US. And to have them ship it to me in Canada and pay duties, taxes, customs, etc. I'm not sure it would be worth it...:icon_neut

Yup. If you live in Ontario and you order from RDFC you gotta pay PST and GST too. They are located in Ontario as well, that is why.

Their prices are a considerable bit higher than every other retailer I have seen. Even if they offered free shipping, i think it would be cheaper to buy form elsewhere.

I used to have the white top black pants one. Top ripped after 2 years beyond repair. It already had 2 holes and the sleeve ends were open too. The pants have 3 holes and one knee is almost totally fucked.
Korals look nice but they are overpriced for what you get.

a guy at my gym had that and that thing was so torn up and ragged I though to myself what did he do with that? It didn't look even remotely repairable.

Budo all the way for me.

I ordered from JJprogear in the past, but they put a sour taste in my mouth the last time I tried to do business with them. I can safely say I will never give them any more of my money. Sucks you got totally ripped off for shipping. I guess they use 6 pound boxes to ship shit in.

Yeah, unfortunately, we have no choice in the matter. This is Canadian government legislation that retailers have no control over. Trust me, you won't find one retailer who is happy about it. :)

If you order from within Canada, you will have to pay GST from any Canadian based retailer or those shipping from within Canada. If the retailer is located in your residing province, then provincial sales taxes are applicable. Sorry, this is law and the retailer must remit thses taxes back to the government. If you are a first nations status card holder you can purchase PST free and you can avoid paying the provincial taxes on your shipment. Most Canadian based companies with recognize Native status cards and can adjust the taxes for you at the time of ordering. Also, as is the case with any Canadian based retailer or those shipping from within Canada, you will not be on the hook for any duties when you receive the goods. The retailer had already paid the duties for you. General Duties for most MMA related items is 18%. GST is payable by everyone residing in Canada.

When ordering "legally" from any other vendor outside of Canada (including from the USA), and importing into Canada, the same taxes (PST and GST) are in fact due by Federal and Provincial law along with duties for those items. Some companies will pay this for you and others will leave you on the hook for it. In most instances, (especially for larger purchases) you will likely receive a bill by the courier company a few weeks after import with a break down of the amount owing for import. With that being said, there are some retailers outside of Canada are able to import the goods illegally into Canada tax and duty free, but it is still a hit and miss for the most part.

As I had stated in a previous post quite some time ago, anyone living close to a physical MMA retailer, should try to support their local store. If you reside in Canada, there are quite litterally a ton around these days and many can certainly use your support during these tough economic times. I'm not saying to blindly purchase regardless of price, but I will say that you should keep all factors and costs into account when making your purchase (shipping, duties, time, returns policies etc...). Obviously, there is an overhead to operating a physical storefront and Canadian retailers are forced to pay all taxes and duties to import the goods into Canada... Unlike some smaller packages imported for personal use that may slide through customs tax and duty free, retailers must purchase in bulk to receive favorable pricing and the larger shipments will always receive a bill from CBSA. This of course affects the final cost.

Please keep in mind as well: The retailer in your area is quite likely the only one supporting the local fighters and clubs close to home. If you are not willing to support them due to a modest price difference, it likely won't be long before they do the same.

If you choose to shop outside of Canada, that is perfectly fine and you have every right to do so, but please don't blame the Canadian retailers for following law. If you would like to help or change things so that you can keep your money within Canada, please send an email (and encourage all that you know to do the same) to your local MPP, MP or to the House of Commons and explain that Canadian import legislation and tax laws have made Retailers in Canada uncompetitive in the world market and that you have chosen to spend your money outside of the country due to these factors... Maybe someone will listen...

Take care all and a VERY BIG THANK YOU! to all of our loyal customers for your continued support and business over the years.

Chris - Red Dragon Fight Company

I got a Koral too and mine started to fade, I didn't get to soak it in vinegar but can I still soak it now even tho I washed it already several times?

Thanks for the review! I'll probably pick up a blue when when my white Fuji goes out.

I just got a white Koral Classic A2. I am 6'0 and 165-170. The jacket is great and hasn't shrunk at all but the pants are a little roomy for my taste. I recommend highly but if I buy another pair of pants I'll get a size smaller.

i am 5'9 145-150. I have 2 koral gi. One red and one green camo. Both A1 from Jiu Jitsu Progear. The only complain is the pants are abit short. The jacket itself fits perfectly fine.

nice review. seems like you are pretty objective about your own mistakes (the vinegar issue) and others (progears shipping and koral's preshrunk claim). thanks

I have the same Gi in Green.

It looks like it fits you perfectly in that picture. The short pants look the same on me. (I'm 6'2" and have a size A3)

To make your Gi softer after washing it, throw it in the dryer. It shouldn't shrink any more at this point and if you're worried about it shrinking just dry it with no heat air or low heat.

The Gi will come out much softer then when air drying it.

I've seen others suggest throwing in a tennis ball when drying it to help make it softer. I haven't tried this yet.

Hey guys,

Sorry to bump and older thread but does anyone know how much this MKM series gi weights in an A-2?
I am pondering getting this or the Koral light which weights 3.45lbs.

there's 1 pound difference.....

Have you noticed the collar warping at all. My buddy has a classic that he dries and his collar is warped!

Just an update on the international shipping prices conundrum... I emailed them awhile ago about how their prices are crappy and finally got an email back like a month later to say their shipping prices have been modified. I had a look and they are indeed cheaper and now on par with other websites.

Hello just want to ask about size Im not sure witch gi to buy Im 6 feet (183cm) tall and weight 195 pounds (89 kg) lean figure and Im not sure that A2 will be small or A3 big, bacause I had brazil combat gi A3 and the pants was baggy and sleeves too long also after washing several times. Please can you give me advice witch size is better fit for me. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Back