Review: Fuel Fight Gear Sparring Gloves

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations. I'm here with a review for Fuel Fight Gear's 16 oz. Sparring Gloves. I was interested in doing a review of these gloves for a while since someone said they were as good as Cleto Reyes training gloves. I was lucky enough to purchase these off of Craigslist ($20.00) but unfortunately they weren't in the best condition (after supposedly 2 months) but they were in manageable condition to review.

As of this writing Fuel Fight Gear has released their new models, The Fuel X2 Sparring gloves. This review will be based on their first batch of gloves.

Now when I picked up these gloves I guess I didn't know what to expect but judging from the pictures they looked OK, but when I actually saw and got to feel them I wasn't impressed by the quality or craftsmanship (I can't complain about their condition that they were in since they're 2nd hand). The leather is thin and feels cheap and the design is very basic (especially the uninspired logo), but I will say that I liked the color scheme they went with. They look cool enough to be in my collection and the blue is pops against the white. The craftsmanship does leave a lot to be desired. It looks and feels like each side was made by 2 different people. The design of the gloves remind of pro fight gloves since it's a very basic design with short cuffs, but in a heavier 16 oz weight. In fact the majority of the weight is at the front of the glove due to the very dense and heavy padding. The padding is so dense that using them to spar would not be a very good idea (good for heavy bag and mitts though since I couldn't feel my knuckles with any punch). It's the kind of padding that is so stiff dense and rubbery that it will leave bruises on your heavy bag. If you're looking to hurt your partner or for use in a smoker you might want to think about these gloves. They provide a lot of pop! One positive is that I'm glad they put in ventilation holes since for some reason other companies leave this out. It helped keep my hands cool.

The gloves only come in lace-ups (my favorite style) but I feel that the wrist could have provided better support. The wrist portion of the gloves feels like its stuffed with loose cotton fiber instead of traditional foam padding strips, so when it's laced up it feels like its diving the loose fibers. It just doesn't feel as secure or supportive as my other lace-ups. The lining of the glove is slick and comfortable but is thin and the pair I received had rips and tears already. I've bought many gear 2nd hand or 2nd quality but none that ripped after only a couple of months of use. I wouldn't recommend these gloves for people with longer fingers since the gloves feel short especially at the fingers. I have fat hands but short fingers and with this glove I found myself at the very end of them. I also wish the grip bar was a bit fatter and stiffer since it feels like I'm folding my hands over instead of actually gripping something. One other thing I didn't like was the thumb compartment. It's very straight and when you make a fist the top of the thumb is the same height at the contact point of the glove. I jammed my thumb a couple of times on the bag and in sparring even though the thumb is stiffly padded. It's a little annoying and has the potential or injury people with long thumbs, and I think the gloves would have benefited with a curved thumb or if the thumb sat lower on the glove.

So there you have it. A glove that has good padding for the mitts, heavy bag, or for smokers but unfortunately that's all it seems to have going for it. The leather and the liner is thin, the craftsmanship could have been better, the thumb is too straight, and the glove feels like it is limited to those with shorter fingers. While I can't talk about their new and more current line I will say that their first try wasn't super successful especially considering the price range they are marketing them at ($80.00) is stacked with tried and true gloves. I will say it is much better than anything you can pick up from a department store.

Final score : 5/10
-1 for craftsmanship -1 for leather -1 for thumb placement -1 for lining

100_2051.jpg

100_2075.jpg

100_2080.jpg

Problem Areas
100_2077.jpg
Can't take pics of the one near the fingers
100_2076.jpg

The thumb placement problem
100_2086.jpg

100_2085.jpg

Comparison pics
100_2081.jpg

100_2082.jpg

100_2083.jpg

100_2084.jpg

I followed the link to their website and watched some of their videos on youtube. I thought the gear looked good and decided to take a chance and give them a try. I also wanted to take advantage of their introductory price of $55.00 for their new Spartech Training Gloves before they went up to their regular price of $85.00

Just saying... you did this for other companies...

Maybe you should actually use a new pair of gloves instead of the obviously worn out and beaten Craigslist pair. I've used these gloves and they've felt great. It's an extremely comfortable fit, and after a training session, I don't have any pain in my hands at all. I'm thinking you should do a take two, with a not horrible pair.

Hey, I am a proud user of the Fuel Fight Gear gloves,in my opinion and experience there were a lot of false accusations in the well written review by Clamp. Anyway i have been using the Fuel gloves since they came out and I used them for everything (sparring mostly) but used none the less and i definitely used them longer than most have even heard of the gloves. I personally haven't had any problems with the gloves, and happen to like them very much. While going over Clamps review and pictures i did realize he said he was having a problem with his thumb jamming, and i looked at the pictures of the gloves that he took for some reason when the glove didn't have his hand in it the thumb placement seemed a lot lower and not bulging out of the side unlike the the picture with your hand in it. Did it ever occur to you that you were jamming your thumb due to the fact that you don't know how to make a fist? So I'm not saying that they are the best gloves in the world but i can honestly say it is a glove to buy and definitely use. Not shooting down anyone else's opinion.

Oh man! That 44 sec "review" was SOOO GOOD, yours was crap compared to it Clamp!
:D

I wonder how long he's used them for...
Thanks for the review Clamp!

WOW! I'm sooo glad we have you here to review all of the reviews for us i don't know what i would have done without you.

Greetings and Salutations. I'm here with a review for Fuel Fight Gear's 16 oz. Sparring Gloves.

Hey, I am a proud user of the Fuel Fight Gear gloves,in my opinion and experience there were a lot of false accusations in the well written review by Clamp. Anyway i have been using the Fuel gloves since they came out and I used them for everything (sparring mostly) but used none the less and i definitely used them longer than most have even heard of the gloves. I personally haven't had any problems with the gloves, and happen to like them very much. While going over Clamps review and pictures i did realize he said he was having a problem with his thumb jamming, and i looked at the pictures of the gloves that he took for some reason when the glove didn't have his hand in it the thumb placement seemed a lot lower and not bulging out of the side unlike the the picture with your hand in it. Did it ever occur to you that you were jamming your thumb due to the fact that you don't know how to make a fist? So I'm not saying that they are the best gloves in the world but i can honestly say it is a glove to buy and definitely use. Not shooting down anyone else's opinion.

WOW! I'm sooo glad we have you here to review all of the reviews for us i don't know what i would have done without you.

ha! it's a tough job but what can I say ;) can you imagine if nobody said ANYTHING about the reviews that people make? Good thing you have guys like me.

seems like a lot of the negative reviews come from people who haven't used them. And I don't think a $20 worn-out craigslist pair count. That's like doing a review on a mercedes you bought at a repo auction.

Biased, are we?

Oh man! That 44 sec "review" was SOOO GOOD, yours was crap compared to it Clamp!
:D

I wonder how long he's used them for...
Thanks for the review Clamp!

Maybe you should actually use a new pair of gloves instead of the obviously worn out and beaten Craigslist pair. I've used these gloves and they've felt great. It's an extremely comfortable fit, and after a training session, I don't have any pain in my hands at all. I'm thinking you should do a take two, with a not horrible pair.

hmmm...that vid is was uploaded by screenname TheFuelFighter and both of those other comments are made by posters that only have 1 post to their name...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

hmmm...that vid is was uploaded by screenname TheFuelFighter and both of those other comments are made by posters that only have 1 post to their name...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Obviously, TheFuelFighter is a company account. The video is also posted on the company's website.

So what if the posters only have 1 post? They are contributing opinons, and you can't make an account here in a matter of hours. I waited days for mine to be approved.

hhmmmmmmm...

Easy solution,Fuel Fight Gear,you say you have fixed all the problems and as other people are saying it's unfair why not ship a pair of the new improved gloves out to Clamp to see what he thinks?He is a respected reviewer on here(and elsewhere) and will give you a fair crack.....

Obviously, TheFuelFighter is a company account. The video is also posted on the company's website.

So what if the posters only have 1 post? They are contributing opinons, and you can't make an account here in a matter of hours. I waited days for mine to be approved.

hhmmmmmmm...

The video just doesn't seem like an honest review. The kid probably got hooked with some gear or has some connection with Fuel.

As far as the guys with 1 post, they obviously have some kind of connection with Fuel. Yesterday nobody even knew about these gloves, now all of a sudden people are coming out of the woodwork to defend them. I smell BS!

The way you're defending them, I wouldn't doubt it if you had some sort of connection with Fuel.

What is going on in this thread?

There's obviously only one solution..... !!!THUNDERDOME!!!

Two gloves enter... one glove leaves...

Back