Review: Double-A Mexican Style Training Headgear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by ClampXVII, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ClampXVII

ClampXVII Bravado Muay Thai Trainer

Greetings and salutations readers! In this review I'll talking about Double-A Boxing's Mexican Style Headgear. I recently did a review on their gloves (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/double-boxing-training-gloves-1758541/) and they scored well but I felt that they could improve the gloves. So lets see if this piece of equipment can earn a better score. I've been using this headgear for about 2 months now so let's see how this headgear has held up.

The first time I held the headgear in my hands after tearing through the box like a fat kid tearing up cake, I noticed that the headgear felt really good. The headgear weighs about a pound but the quality of the cushy padding and leather just felt right. The inner liner is suede and feels cool to the touch. I wish that more brands used this type of material since it absorbs the sweat from going into your eyes during use. The color combination looks good. It's pretty simple and classic. Nothing flashy with these puppies. I actually noticed that this headgear looks good with any piece of equipment. I usually cycle gear like gloves and shinguard every 5 or so rounds for reviewing and noticed that this headgear goes with just about any color and any gear brand and doesn't draw attention to the wearer. I promise I didn't check myself out in the mirror to make sure I look good while training it's just something I noticed!

Now there are 2 sizes available which are medium and large. For this review I picked a large and the cut of the headgear was bigger than expected. It's not the same sleekness as my other Mexican style headgear. This cut is thicker and wider and reminds me of something I would buy from Fight Gear or Gorilla Fight Gear's Silverback Training Headgear (Gorilla Fight Gear Silverback Training Headgear). It reminded me of a helmet honestly. A very comfortable and adjustable helmet. There are 2 points of adjustment on the top and back of the headgear which are laced. The chinstrap is a buckle style with a little bit of Velcro to strap the slack and give it a clean look. While the headgear may be adjustable. I found that the face was a bit too open for my taste. I got caught with a punch down the middle a few times with smaller gloves (KO Fight Gear 16 oz). The other times where I managed to slip or move my head a bit the cheek protector and the forehead absorbed the blow. The visibility of the headgear is really good since the face is more exposed. I could see everything in front of me and to the side of me. The height of the cheeks where perfect. I could see when overhands where being thrown and when someone was going low with a kick. Clinching with the headgear was a bit more challenging since it's bulkier.

As I said before, the padding of the headgear is a bit thicker than what I'm use to on a Mexican style headgear. I don't mind it since the padding is pretty good. It's softy and cushy. I took some hard shots while I had the headgear on and it works pretty well. I did feel some shock from hard punches with MMA gloves and head kicks kicks, but they felt fine when we were sparring with 16 oz sparring gloves. The headgear is is softer at the forehead and denser at the cheeks. I wish the forehead was a tad bit stiffer though since most of the punches thrown at me were aimed there. The padding on the ear was great. It's just dense enough to not cave in but I would have liked a padded strap over the ears to protect the ear drum. The padding on the back of the head is cushy and while it won't keep you from getting woozy or dizzy from a blow to the back of the head, there is just enough thickness to feel protected and safe. A denser padding would have been nice to have there but it might have added even more to the weight and taken away some of the comfort.

There are 2 things I would like to see changed. I would like to see a padded strap over the ear drum just to provide a little extra bit of protection and to also bring the cheeks a bit closer to the nose. Nothing major but I think if these little things were fixed it would make it a must have piece of equipment. Now would I recommend it to boxers or people who train in Muay Thai or MMA? I would recommend these to boxers more since it's pretty comfortable and protective. In the clinch the headgear was a bit too thick to work with and the face is a bit too open for MMA gloves.

Final Score: 8/10 -1 for lack of ear drum padded strap -1 for the face being too open

+Good craftsmanship
    +Well Priced
    +Very comfortable lining
    +Combination of soft and dense foams make for cushy experience
    +Really good materials
    +Excellent visibility
    +Adjustable lace design
    +/- Thick design
    -Lack of ear drum strap
    -Face is a bit exposed

Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ClampXVII

Pics of Bob wearing the headgear
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ClampXVII

Comparison Pics
    [​IMG]

4. Blair Dennett

Blair Dennett Purple Belt Professional Fighter

Thanks for another excellent review. I didn't know much about Double-A but after this review (and your review on their training gloves) they seem to make good quality gear.

It's always nice to see someone posting reviews of less common stuff, it takes a lot of the "unknown" out of trying something new or for people who might be on the fence about a certain product.

Edit: Just got my blue belt! G&E FTW!

5. ClampXVII

Congrats bud and thanks. I do this for the community so I'm happy that people read it and find it useful. I agree. When I joined Trialbyfiremma I wanted to review smaller companies because bigger companies really don't need to be talked about. Like Ringside IMFs. Everyone has a pair and it's agreed upon that they're good.

6. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

^ And it also helps smaller companies get more potential customers.

7. ClampXVII

Oh yeah that too! I think some of the smaller companies are doing really good things.