Reverse Shoulder Roll?

ShadowoftheSun

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys.

In Jack Slack's latest short breakdown of fighters he enjoys (Lorenz Larkin; I really enjoyed it - you can find it here) he mentions the "reverse shoulder roll" as something that Larkin occasionally uses, and also mentions that it was used by Jersey Joe Walcott.

I'm more of an enthusiast than a serious practitioner, and my realm of expertise is quite slim, and I was just wondering if there are any folks here who are more experienced who could tell me more about the "reverse shoulder roll"? I have no idea if that's accepted terminology or something Jack's coined himself. I have no real interest in using any type of shoulder roll, normal or reverse, in part because I'm not Floyd Mayweather and I'm a southpaw besides, but I enjoy learning about techniques so that I can spot them and try to understand them. If anyone who's more experienced than I am could give me more info, I'd much appreciate it.

Without having seen the video i assume rolling shots with the rear shoulder. Obviously works better if you are more square for example against the ropes/cage.

There aren't any universally recognized terms in boxing for anything beside the most simple things like "jab". A video game basically made everyone use the term "philly shell" and made that term mainstream.
Everyone just calls the stuff the same way their trainer taught them or whoever showed them the technique and some techniques developed in several places at different times.

Canelo does it as well.

It also makes total sense. The shoudler are one of your main defences in boxing. even through a high guard you can use the shoulder to catch shots that would otherwise loop around your punches. And in the simplest form everyone gets taught to use their shoulder when they get taught to jab and to hide behind their shoulder. And with every other punch as well you guard your punching side with your shoulder with th rear side as well.

So even if you don't fight with the guard of Mayweather there's always an opportunity to use your shoulder for defence like when you can't bring back your hands in time to block and are to slow to move your head or something like that.

As a southpaw you can still shoulde rroll many southpaws do it. You just block the rear hand punch and roll the lead hand of your opponent especially hooks. In some way it works even better because the distance is greater as/vs a southpaw. The onyl thing why it doesn't work exactly the same is because you can't counter the same way. If you roll the lea dhand there isn't a huge counter opportuntiy as there is when you roll the rear hand. But plenty of youthpaws fight with a low lead hand and hide behind their shoulder: Zab Judah, Adonis Stevenson, Whitaker and many more.

Not that I'm more experienced than you though (probably)

Hey guys.

In Jack Slack's latest short breakdown of fighters he enjoys (Lorenz Larkin; I really enjoyed it - you can find it here) he mentions the "reverse shoulder roll" as something that Larkin occasionally uses, and also mentions that it was used by Jersey Joe Walcott.

I'm more of an enthusiast than a serious practitioner, and my realm of expertise is quite slim, and I was just wondering if there are any folks here who are more experienced who could tell me more about the "reverse shoulder roll"? I have no idea if that's accepted terminology or something Jack's coined himself. I have no real interest in using any type of shoulder roll, normal or reverse, in part because I'm not Floyd Mayweather and I'm a southpaw besides, but I enjoy learning about techniques so that I can spot them and try to understand them. If anyone who's more experienced than I am could give me more info, I'd much appreciate it.

i used to fight for millennia mma and train with lorenz. i dont recall him ever doing any reverse shoulder roll, but i have seen boxers do it. if your talking about what i think you are

i used to fight for millennia mma and train with lorenz. i dont recall him ever doing any reverse shoulder roll, but i have seen boxers do it. if your talking about what i think you are
do you know Larkin's striking background?

do you know Larkin's striking background?

me and him live in the same city actually. The fight community is very small in the IE. So he has trained at just about all the gyms I have or used to train at. 10th planet bjj, millennia mma, not sure where else he trains. I know he used to fight strike force as well.

Back