Reuters: Hundreds of thousands of Greeks protest FYROM name "Macedonia"

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Greeks are angry that the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia are trying to change the name of the country from FYROM to Macedonia. Greeks says they the Greeks are the Macedonians and Macedonia is their heritage. After the break-up of Yugoslavia, the acronym FYROM was created because Greeks opposed it being called "Macedonia".

Video from Reuters at below link.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/whats-name-greek-protest-over-164505444.html

For the record, the Greek claim is historical valid. Whether it’s worth getting worked up over is another question

How about the Greeks just shut the fuck up.

So stupid, it's not like Greece is going to do anything about it.

How about you blow us. How does that sound?
Unlikely. It's more likely you'll end up blowing a Macedonian, geographically speaking. In any case, have fun crying about cultural appropriation.

Unlikely. It's more likely you'll end up blowing a Macedonian, geographically speaking. In any case, have fun crying about cultural appropriation.
Im a southerner and already pretty disconnected from the northerners culturally speaking.

But either way your post makes no fucking sense.
giphy.gif

Who cares? In most of the Eastern world, Greece is known as "Younan" from the ancient term "Ionia" which was a region of Ancient Greece located mostly (aside from a few islands) in modern day Anatolian "Turkey" rather than mainland European Greece, don't see anyone caring about that misnomer.

Not to mention a whole host of other countries are also misnamed so this isn't unique to Greece vs FYROM. Oh & I don't even want to get into genetics & how majority of Balkan Slavs are majority Slavicized Indigenous Balkan people (this is why Bulgarians & Poles clearly don't look alike) so Macedonian Slavs are probably descended in large part from ancient Greco-Macedonians, Illyrians, Dacians, Thracians etc; in essence they probably do also have ancestral claim as well if it were to get to that (as do modern Greeks obviously as well).

Last edited:
Who cares? In most of the Eastern world, Greece is known as "Younan" from the ancient term "Ionia" which was a region of Ancient Greece located mostly (aside from a few islands) in modern day Anatolian "Turkey" rather than mainland European Greece, don't see anyone caring about that misnomer.

Not to mention a whole host of other countries are also misnamed so this isn't unique to Greece vs FYROM. Oh & I don't even want to get into genetics & how majority of Balkan Slavs are majority Slavicized Indigenous Balkan people (this is why Bulgarians & Poles clearly don't look alike) so Macedonian Slavs are probably descended in large part from ancient Greco-Macedonians, Illyrians, Dacians, Thracians etc; in essence they probably do also have ancestral claim as well if it were to get to that (as do modern Greeks obviously as well).

serbs and greeks can look very different. you get some biiiggg serbs and they have that pseudo slavic look about them.

serbs and greeks can look very different. you get some biiiggg serbs and they have that pseudo slavic look about them.

That's because they do have major Slavic mixture, the whole region is a gradient of Native (Pre-Slavic migration) Balkan people and Slav intermixing, the more West & North you get, the more Slav and the more Eastern & South, the more native Balkan (Greek-like) but Native Balkan ancestry/blood still dominates the region.

So greeks are geting worked up over something that was never greece? Hmmm.

Ancient Macedonia spanned parts of present day Greece, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia. Macedonia is quite different from Serbo-croatian and very similar to Bulgarian IIRC.

The ancient kingdom of Macedonia (pictured below) goes back to 400BC so I don't know why Greeks are rustled.

Macedonia_region_map_wikipedia.png

I propose a pitched battle where modern day greeks and macedonians go at it with pikes in phalanx formations to settle the thing. <{JustBleed}>

fyrom isn't even a real word. Conan was a Cimmerian, not a Macedonian.

If the Greeks wanted to be called macedonians they should have named themselves accordingly.

unemployed people sure do have a lot of time on their hands...

So greeks are geting worked up over something that was never greece? Hmmm.

Ancient Macedonia spanned parts of present day Greece, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia. Macedonia is quite different from Serbo-croatian and very similar to Bulgarian IIRC.

The ancient kingdom of Macedonia (pictured below) goes back to 400BC so I don't know why Greeks are rustled.

Macedonia_region_map_wikipedia.png
they obviously "fear" separatism and the break up of their northern part (also called macedonia).
sadly there are people in power in macedonia (fyrom) now that would sell their own pants, so they negotiate about the name too.
this is a important political fight because many of those balkan countries are candidates for the eu, so theres a conflict with eu member greece.
if you look at bulgaria (eu member) theres is basiclly no benefit for them being in the eu, they are still piss poor.
expanding the eu purely serves nato in their geopolitical stand against russia.

Macedonia saved us from even more rapefugees coming across the greek border.
Theyre good peoples in my book.

Greeks are angry that the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia are trying to change the name of the country from FYROM to Macedonia. Greeks says they the Greeks are the Macedonians and Macedonia is their heritage. After the break-up of Yugoslavia, the acronym FYROM was created because Greeks opposed it being called "Macedonia".

Video from Reuters at below link.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/whats-name-greek-protest-over-164505444.html

That area will go which ever way US wants. Like Kosovo I mean really Kosovo is a part of Albania but officially it is not. I wonder which 'greater campaign US will back they already backed the greater Albania campaign

I wonder which 'greater campaign US will back they already backed the greater Albania campaign
...which would also include big parts of western macedonia (fyrom). it's still in works. not a long time ago soros funded a colorful "revolution" with the intention to install the opposition (incl. albanians) in power. the talks about the name and many other things in progress is basically the result of that success.
btw kosovo was a part of serbia...

Back