Retro USB AVS System - A High Quality Nintendo Clone

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this system created by a small company called Retro USB?

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=36

AVSsmall.png

I have heard really good things about the AVS, and pre-ordered one the other day. I won't get it until sometime between February and April though. It connects to your HD TV via HDMI cable, has a better picture, and has game genie built in to the software. It plays both Nintendo 8 bit games and Famicom games.

In addition to that, Retro USB has created their own original 8 bit games that are compatible with both the AVS and your original 8 bit Nintendo. I am wondering if anyone bought one of these games and what they thought. They are a little pricey, so I was looking for a review before I invest in new games:

SLsmall.png

TSsmall.png

MGsmall.png

QLsmall.png

WYsmall.png

ASsmall.png

COsmall.png

$170 is a little pricey, in my opinion......but then I saw that the games are $45....for 8 bit indy games basically. Are these guys on crack?

$170 is a little pricey, in my opinion......but then I saw that the games are $45....for 8 bit indy games basically. Are these guys on crack?
I thought so initially too, but I was willing to pay the price because it hooks in with an HDMI cable and displays in HD. Supposedly, your old school Nintendo games will have never looked better. However, I am still on the fence about purchasing any of their original games. The video below has a pretty good review of the system and a review of one of the original games Solaris (which just looks like an amped up Space Invaders)

This video includes a review of another original game Quadralords, which actually looks kind of interesting (not sure it's worth $45 though):

I appreciate the novelty but I don't see how they can make it work economically.

If they added the ability to download new games, that would go a long way towards bringing the game prices down. I'm not willing to pay a markup for nostalgia and novelty. Let me download those games for $5, save your manufacturing, processing and shipping costs.

As an aside, I recently refurbished my NES and it still works like a charm, just had to disable the "bootleg" chip. The pins on the receiver and cartridges are kind of corroded though so I generally have to swab them with alcohol first. But it's better than paying $175. But that makes me interested if they sell good aftermarket nes controllers.

I appreciate the novelty but I don't see how they can make it work economically.

If they added the ability to download new games, that would go a long way towards bringing the game prices down. I'm not willing to pay a markup for nostalgia and novelty. Let me download those games for $5, save your manufacturing, processing and shipping costs.

As an aside, I recently refurbished my NES and it still works like a charm, just had to disable the "bootleg" chip. The pins on the receiver and cartridges are kind of corroded though so I generally have to swab them with alcohol first. But it's better than paying $175. But that makes me interested if they sell good aftermarket nes controllers.
I prefer the AVS because it hooks into a TV via HDMI and I can use original Nintendo controllers. Also, you can always buy new cartridges with old Nintendo games...

91XQA10N8gL._AC_SX215_.jpg

Retro pie for $35 ftw

What is Retro Pie?

I prefer the AVS because it hooks into a TV via HDMI and I can use original Nintendo controllers. Also, you can always buy new cartridges with old Nintendo games...

HDMI is nice. But I still have my old NES and my old NES games I suppose is my point. They all still work. The only thing I actually **need** are new controllers. I cleaned both of mine out but managed to break the silicon on one rendering it useless. The other works much better now but I'd rather just buy brand new ones.

Also holy shit I'm glad I don't smoke. My parents smoked in the house until I was about 7 years old. Needless to say my NES and the controllers had a ton of brown tar all over the inside of them that needs to be worked out. I'm hoping my lungs cleaned themselves out since then. It's been well over 20 years, so hopefully.

HDMI is nice. But I still have my old NES and my old NES games I suppose is my point. They all still work. The only thing I actually **need** are new controllers. I cleaned both of mine out but managed to break the silicon on one rendering it useless. The other works much better now but I'd rather just buy brand new ones.

Also holy shit I'm glad I don't smoke. My parents smoked in the house until I was about 7 years old. Needless to say my NES and the controllers had a ton of brown tar all over the inside of them that needs to be worked out. I'm hoping my lungs cleaned themselves out since then. It's been well over 20 years, so hopefully.

I am really looking forward to getting that AVS in the mail.

Smoking is the worst habit you can have legally. I smoked for years and went on Chantix to quit. Screw smoking.

Last edited:

91XQA10N8gL._AC_SX215_.jpg

What is Retro Pie?

Nes emulator on raspberry pi

I am really looking forward to getting that AVS in the mail.

Smoking is the worst habit you can have legally. I smoked for years and went on Chantix to quit. Screw smoking.

My skepticism aside let us know how it goes. I have a soft spot for this kind of stuff (it's why I took the time to dig the NES out of my parents house and get it working again) so I'm interested to hear about your first hand experience. When are you expecting to get it?

My skepticism aside let us know how it goes. I have a soft spot for this kind of stuff (it's why I took the time to dig the NES out of my parents house and get it working again) so I'm interested to hear about your first hand experience. When are you expecting to get it?
They are currently out of stock, and I pre-ordered. They told me it would come anytime between February and and April. Big window.

If you're getting a Pi for just emulating games yeah, that may be a better deal.
Unless you're into the add on geek stuff for the pi like the gpio, what benefit does the pi have over an android box? I use a first gen pi as an htpc in the bedroom and one of those Android boxes in my living room as an htpc. If I had the choice, I'd go the android any day. It's a much better experience IMO and you have the entire google play store of apps. I have't played with any of the Pi os's lately, probably a year, but all were lacking a selection of apps. I remember reading google was going to get involved with development for android on the pi, last time I tried it was a terrible mess.

Unless you're into the add on geek stuff for the pi like the gpio, what benefit does the pi have over an android box? I use a first gen pi as an htpc in the bedroom and one of those Android boxes in my living room as an htpc. If I had the choice, I'd go the android any day. It's a much better experience IMO and you have the entire google play store of apps. I have't played with any of the Pi os's lately, probably a year, but all were lacking a selection of apps. I remember reading google was going to get involved with development for android on the pi, last time I tried it was a terrible mess.

Eh, that's you.

Way too expensive.

Perhaps its worth it if you're really into retro gaming.

Only way I'd pick it up is if it could play roms, so I could have the entire library of the system. AND I'd want wireless retro controllers.