Retiring with the Title/Belt is Unacceptable. ( Unless medical reasons of course )

Big GSP fan here. The Canadian Champ. Best fighter we've ever had as far as I know.

All the best from Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, to Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva pass the torch before they retire. FACT of history.

I don't understand what Georges is doing because he hasn't really explained himself, if there is a good reason he needs to make it known if he cares about his MMA legacy. Or come back and fight Hendricks at least heheh.

If Mr.Floyd "I'm the Promoter and Champion" Mayweather retires before he passes the belt onto someone he is a little bitch and is doing boxing a serious disfavour. Same to any Champ and their respective sports.

The only time retiring before losing the belt is O.K, is if you are a Gladiator, in which case losing would mean death! Then OK retire into exile by all means. :D

This is the Fighter Warrior CODE OF CONDUCT. Has nothing to do with Ferttitas or Dana or Money. It is in their favour too of course. It's in the whole sport's favor.

tl;dr version
hurrr this is how it has always been done so this is how it should stay.
op please, you make it sound like he is doing everdisservice. I like the idea of going out on top.
I think they should have done a tournament grand prix style thing of all the top ten guys to determine a new champ though.

it's not there fault no one could beat them and they got tired of figthing

Yep. Based upon his accomplishments and history I think that he is the greatest mma fighter. Is he past his prime? Yes. But as of right now in my opinion he is the best. I'm not saying weidman won't go on to be better or any other fighter in that matter. But right now at this point he has bee the greatest we've seen. It's just my personal opinion .

I'll tell you what?
Anderson has been more spectacular than anyone else.I'll say that much.
I don't know if it was his skills eroding a bit or Weidman was that much better.

We'll know after seeing Weidman's next few fights.

Fighters like Anderson,Fedor need to retire immediately when they sense they aren't the same anymore.Losing 4 of your last 6 fights isn't really legitimizing your claim to being the greatest ever and they have themselves to blame.

I don't understand what Georges is doing because he hasn't really explained himself, if there is a good reason he needs to make it known if he cares about his MMA legacy. Or come back and fight Hendricks at least heheh.

Georges explanation

576883437.gif

He got dominated by Bigfoot,destroyed by Hendo.
He was subbed by Werdum.

He was losing consistently and getting beat up in every facet of MMA.
It was almost like he was some novice.

He's no GOAT.Not after that at least.

I'm not sure I understand your logic.

If Derek Jeter bats 225 this year, does that erase getting 3,000 hits, being a perennial all star and winning multiple championships?

I don't believe that when a fighter loses a few fights at the end of his career while being past his prime (some times way past) it takes away from their accomplishments. Why do you think it does?

You are fucking idiots if you think GSP owes you ANYTHING.

and I am not even a GSP fan

I understand that. But that doesn't mean Anderson owes it to anyone.

But you didn't understand it before apparently. I had to explain it to you. yeah I'm 10 years old and have no idea what I'm talking about.

I love how TS ignores all the comments about other champs who have retired with the belt.

complete fucken moron wow

Youre done when youre done. Whether its lack of motivation or wanting to retire with a perfect or near perfect record it doesnt matter. The only thing unacceptable is so many challengers not being able to beat him for so long, its not his fault.

smh

I'm not sure I understand your logic.

If Derek Jeter bats 225 this year, does that erase getting 3,000 hits, being a perennial all star and winning multiple championships?

I don't believe that when a fighter loses a few fights at the end of his career while being past his prime (some times way past) it takes away from their accomplishments. Why do you think it does?

Because he quit. We don't know what he could have done and how far he could have went.

Why do I have to explain this common sense to you fucking crazies. I'm out of here.

Boxing's Rocky Marciano retired at 32 years old and undefeated champ.

Nobody says he should have kept fighting and he is very comparable to Georges. In about 12 years of fighting he was 8-4 as an amateur and 49-0 as a pro. If anything his decision to leave on top makes him a legend. People never talk about the four fights he lost as an amateur.

Sadly, Rocky died one day before his 46th birthday in a plane crash. He had only 14 years to enjoy his well earned riches. Life is short, once you have enough money from fighting, get out because the scumbags who run fighting don't give a shit about fighters.

TS is ROCKED by the vicious blows administered by the posters Herb Dean appears ready to end this thread and save TS, but smiles and lets the onslaught continue.

Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson and Fedor Emelianenko didn't pass the torch it was taken from them by force.

Rocky Marciano retired with the torch. John Smith, 4x world & 2x olympic wrestling champ retired with the torch.

The only warrior code of conduct is either beat the champion or become another name on the list of the conquered.

But you didn't understand it before apparently. I had to explain it to you. yeah I'm 10 years old and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well, you write like shit. And I don't know your age, but you do seem immature. Warrior code? Really?

GSP does not have to put his body on the line as part of some honor to the division or to the UFC.

The UFC is a business and wants to make money while building a brand. The fighters want to make money fighting and win the title. They would tear GSP's head off to do it.

Welcome to reality kid.

I love how TS ignores all the comments about other champs who have retired with the belt.

Yeah but they were never the greatest of all time were they?

And I don't know know some of the older boxers and their circumstances. I do know Ali and Tyson though and that's my two for boxing.

Same for Fedor, Anderson and BJ Penn.

I should go do something enjoyable.

I'll tell you what?
Anderson has been more spectacular than anyone else.I'll say that much.
I don't know if it was his skills eroding a bit or Weidman was that much better.

We'll know after seeing Weidman's next few fights.

Fighters like Anderson,Fedor need to retire immediately when they sense they aren't the same anymore.Losing 4 of your last 6 fights isn't really legitimizing your claim to being the greatest ever and they have themselves to blame.

I agree. Like I said I always pulled against Anderson. I am not a fan of his in the least, but the things he has accomplished haven't been achieved by anyone else so far. I'm not saying Weidman won't shatter everything Anderson has done because he has huge potential and he is still young. But right now in my opinion Anderson is the greatest. There are many contenders to his throne though ( weidman, bones, Pettis, Aldo) but they just don't have the track record right now.

As far as GSP goes, I agree with you TS.
But only because he got demolished in his last fight and got gifted a bullshit decision.
Hendricks deserved the opportunity to rectify this.

But in most other cases... no.
Retiring on top is pretty rare, and pretty special.
If you're too old to keep fighting and yet you're still winning, you deserve the right to retire undefeated.

You don't know the definition of demolished.

GSP owes no one anything. I hope you guys feel the same way at your jobs, when your time comes to retire and all your colleagues are like "well, you're the best. You can't retire until someone can do your job as well as you do it" and think less of you because you owe them sticking around until you're not as good and replacable by somoene else."

Not sure if McDonalds has that same code of conduct, though.

Back