Retiring with the Title/Belt is Unacceptable. ( Unless medical reasons of course )

Warrior code of conduct? Lol, sounds awesome but is really stuff for movies.

MMA is a sport and professionals fight for money. GSP is an all time great and should retire when he wants to. Seeing go out on a losing streak, possibly being hurt (maybe permanently) doesn't do anything to help the sport, his legacy and isn't good for the fans. I really don't see any positives. The warrior code of conduct is for samurai movies.

it's his health and well being. you need to find some way of coping with situations you don't like. you can't do anything about it, so move on. i can't imagine how you deal with things that actually affect your life.

This thread is unacceptable.

Huge PLUMS to retire with the belt on a long, long winning streak. GSP doesn't need to satisfy your schadenfreude. Get a life OP, get excited about the next WW champ and quit worrying about the GOAT.

lolololololol

so, let's say he kept laying and praying guys for more 20 years...
would you want him to keep fighting being 50yo?

seems legit

How dare he do something that a poster on Sherdog disagrees with!!!!!

No, this isn't WWE.

It is not up to you to give the next guy the shine.

I dont like GSP but you can quit a job anytime you want to. if your head and heart arent in it anymore you dont need to stick it out just to make the kid on sherdog happy.

TS should use the warrior code of conduct and apply it to his/her job.....Never retire,work until shadow of death arrives.

Gotta love the humor in a 19 year old suburban fast food worker calling a professional athlete out for failing to live up the samurai/bushido codes that he obviously adheres to in his own personal life

Grow up dude , its a business.

lolololololol

seems legit

You should actually watch the fight rather than follow what the other trolls are saying on sherdog .

Watching fight is so much more fun
, I'm amazed at how many are making it so obvious they don't actually watch mma ? Still confuses me why ?

Big GSP fan here. The Canadian Champ. Best fighter we've ever had as far as I know.

All the best from Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, to Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva pass the torch before they retire. FACT of history.

I don't understand what Georges is doing because he hasn't really explained himself, if there is a good reason he needs to make it known if he cares about his MMA legacy. Or come back and fight Hendricks at least heheh.

If Mr.Floyd "I'm the Promoter and Champion" Mayweather retires before he passes the belt onto someone he is a little bitch and is doing boxing a serious disfavour. Same to any Champ and their respective sports.

The only time retiring before losing the belt is O.K, is if you are a Gladiator, in which case losing would mean death! Then OK retire into exile by all means. :D

This is the Fighter Warrior CODE OF CONDUCT. Has nothing to do with Ferttitas or Dana or Money. It is in their favour too of course. It's in the whole sport's favor.

GSP did the right thing, fuk those zuffa dictators.

Anyone can retire whenever they want.
And if they lose before they retire, it doesn't take away all their accomplishments.

Even Bas Rutten, who "won" the belt by "defeating" Kevin Randleman, and then promptly retired.

A lot of people had their chance to take GSP's belt, he certainly put himself out there enough.

The depths of butthurtedness...

lolololololol

seems legit

That would never happen because Hendricks would most likely beat him in the rematch. And O.K if the sport is dead and theirs no one even worth it. Kill it some more I guess.

I was just phrasing it " warrior code of conduct " Ya'll don't have to be so mature about it lol.

I think it is a weak ass way to go out. Still the best? Why retire then?

GSP didn't go out on top. I thought Hendricks looked like the better fighter that night even. He should have passed the torch.

If you guy's didn't notice, Weidman wouldn't have NEAR, NEEAAAR the interest and respect he has now if Anderson retired a year ago and he fought some random for the new belt. Sort of like an interim belt.

GSP spent how long fighting and training and taking damage to the heaD. HOW MANY GUY'S HEADS DID HE SMASH IN? In training and fighting.

He can't go out there and lose once? Like all the other greats did? STFU.

So in conclusion you guy's are bunch of idiots. Trust me I'm not surprised.

Wtf? So every champion must lose before retiring in order to pass the belt on? Man, there have been some seriously bad threads on here lately.

You clearly don't know shit about the "Fighter Warrior CODE OF CONDUCT", because it doesn't have anything to do with fighting till your health deteriorates (Ali) or fighting till your bankrupt (Tyson).

The WW division had plenty of chance's to take the belt from GSP. No one was good enough. Deal with it.

I think he did the right thing and vacating the belt and allowing for the next set to carry the weight and the pressure that the belt can hold. GSP is one of the most successful title holders in UFC history that coupled with his popularity, appearance demands, sponsor demands, UFC demands, endorsement demands, he's far more active or appears to be more active business wise than current UFC title holders save for Jon Jones.

Besides he didn't technically retire he did the responsible thing and not tie up the belt and keep his bosses or his fans guessing. People can hate him all they want but he is the essence of class, Ronda take cue from this guy.

Back