Retiring with the Title/Belt is Unacceptable. ( Unless medical reasons of course )

Burst-Shot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Big GSP fan here. The Canadian Champ. Best fighter we've ever had as far as I know.

All the best from Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, to Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva pass the torch before they retire. FACT of history.

I don't understand what Georges is doing because he hasn't really explained himself, if there is a good reason he needs to make it known if he cares about his MMA legacy. Or come back and fight Hendricks at least heheh.

If Mr.Floyd "I'm the Promoter and Champion" Mayweather retires before he passes the belt onto someone it's a bitch move and is doing boxing a serious disfavour. Same to any Champ and their respective sports.

The only time retiring before losing the belt is O.K, is if you are a Gladiator, in which case losing would mean death! Then OK retire into exile by all means. :D

This is what the others did. Has nothing to do with Ferttitas or Dana or Money. It is in their favour too of course. It's in the whole sport's favor.

Edit: Most of the best fight because they want to be the best. Not because it's a quick and easy way to make money. ( yeah right )

If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Hendricks won't get the same respect for beating Robbie than he would have gotten for beating GSP a second time, more convincingly. Same if Chris fought Vitor for a vacated belt. These posters don't understand that.

If you think they discourage me or I changed my opinion, or I even care. Not at all.

If Machida would have retired after his first fight with Shogun I would have had a disdain for him. He is one of my fav's these days.

Fedor's, Andy's and everyone else who is in the running for GOAT, their careers aren't tarnished by the couple losses before they hung em up. IS NORMAL.

GSP himself said he just wants some time away to do life instead of being Champion, fine. But if this is how he goes out, I don't like it.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind champs going out on top... it's a rare sight.

Georges has nothing left to prove... fight w/ Hendricks was close, but he got the nod.

Now it's Johnys time to shine.

So he has to hang around until his brain is sufficiently racked around inside his skull to satisfy you?

No I'm pretty sure you're allowed to retire with the belt..

He had made these plans before the Hendricks fight, he was already one foot out the door

What if he had just destroyed Johny? Then he would have to keep fighting guys for a couple more years just doing rematches until he finally loses?

I think it's fine. I'm not convinced GSP is so much passed his prime yet.

But being a UFC champion isn't everything, there could be a thousand reasons why a champ would hang up the gloves in his prime.

If his head isn't in the game anymore then he may as well.

Going through training camps knowing you actually want a vacation; basically knowing your opponent already wants it more than you... What's the point?

If you know you don't want the belt anymore, why not vacate it instead of just going in there to lose it via an ass kicking?

---

I don't even think GSP is for sure retiring. But like everyone said, he can't just take a break and hold the belt hostage. If he wasn't the champ, he would have just taken a break without vacating the belt because he wouldn't have to.

Big GSP fan here. The Canadian Champ. Best fighter we've ever had as far as I know.

All the best from Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, to Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva pass the torch before they retire. FACT of history.

I don't understand what Georges is doing because he hasn't really explained himself, if there is a good reason he needs to make it known if he cares about his MMA legacy. Or come back and fight Hendricks at least heheh.

If Mr.Floyd "I'm the Promoter and Champion" Mayweather retires before he passes the belt onto someone he is a little bitch and is doing boxing a serious disfavour. Same to any Champ and their respective sports.

The only time retiring before losing the belt is O.K, is if you are a Gladiator, in which case losing would mean death! Then OK retire into exile by all means. :D

This is the Fighter Warrior CODE OF CONDUCT. Has nothing to do with Ferttitas or Dana or Money. It is in their favour too of course. It's in the whole sport's favor.

You are an idiot.
And probably 12 years old if you believe in a clear cut Fighter Warrior CODE OF CONDUCT.

As far as GSP goes, I agree with you TS.
But only because he got demolished in his last fight and got gifted a bullshit decision.
Hendricks deserved the opportunity to rectify this.

But in most other cases... no.
Retiring on top is pretty rare, and pretty special.
If you're too old to keep fighting and yet you're still winning, you deserve the right to retire undefeated.

Your an idiot.

What if the best of the best never lose, and keep accumulating brain damage, and completely wear out their bodies. This is a sport, not a fucking Roman times spectacle.

And I didnt realize Lennox Lewis and Vitali Klitchko lost their titles to anyone.

If their heart isn't in it, I would rather see them retire than get seriously hurt half-assing a fight. Get out of here with that warrior nonsense. It's fine for hyping a fight, but at the end of the day this is a sport not a war. They are not bound by anything to go in there and get hurt for anyone. This is an athletic competition, not a deathmatch. GSP doesn't have to go out there and martyr himself just because he is the champion.

If Mr.Floyd "I'm the Promoter and Champion" Mayweather retires before he passes the belt onto someone he is a little bitch and is doing boxing a serious disfavour. Same to any Champ and their respective sports.

This is the Fighter Warrior CODE OF CONDUCT. Has nothing to do with Ferttitas or Dana or Money. It is in their favour too of course. It's in the whole sport's favor.

Thread like this are part of the reason he left the sport , he didn't want to turn into a vegetable .

is ts one of those people who waits for the greats to lose and then insult/discredit them?

can't do that to gsp gettign your undies in a bunch?

He can do whatever he wants...If he retired after a couple losses he would be like Fedro and everyone would bitch.

Good thing your opinion isn't worth shit.

that last part is hilarious lol, guess what genius?? GSP can do what he wants, and your opinion doesnt really matter because its his life. If Dana can accept it then why cant you?

This thread can retire to the wasteland.

Back