Retired soccer player wants to box once

KillerIsBack V2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So Rio, taking it very seriously, is being trained by former world champ Richie Woodhall, and is trying to get a pro boxing license to have one boxing fight. Says the only reason is to help with his aggression.

Meh, sure why not, it's only gonna be 4 rounds. Probably gonna be against some kid just finishing his ammy(I'm guessing).
He's gonna get hurt tho at his age and time off but YOLO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2...sts-will-fight-boxer-not-looking-have-career/

He's younger than Idris Elba, who isn't even an athlete. Idris did it at 44

He'll fight a nobody that's been paid to lose like Flintoff did

If Mickey Rourke can find some guys to "beat", so can this bozo.

This is what I would expect too. And for any "celebrity" who comes to box
It's rio Ferdinand. He's 6'2" and can probably throw down at hw. They'll put a clown in with him and he will knock the guy out. No harm no foul.

It's rio Ferdinand. He's 6'2" and can probably throw down at hw. They'll put a clown in with him and he will knock the guy out. No harm no foul.

I hope that he will get a real opponent rather than fixed / paid to lose one, dont know anything about the man himself though. Does he have some kind of experience with boxing or other combat sports? That would help of course a bit

He got his licence knocked back by the BBBC. Good news imo, there is no reason for a 39 year old with 6 months experience getting in to the ring with a professional fighter. if he really wants to fight there are plenty of white collor events up and down the country

He's younger than Idris Elba, who isn't even an athlete. Idris did it at 44

Idris already has some kickboxing under his belt tbf and seems a natural fighter in many ways. Definately has a fighters mentality which was a very big help. Still very impressive though

boxing is more dangerous, and Ferdinand has 0 experience. He shouldn’t be allowed to fight professionally

Idris already has some kickboxing under his belt tbf and seems a natural fighter in many ways. Definately has a fighters mentality which was a very big help. Still very impressive though

boxing is more dangerous, and Ferdinand has 0 experience. He shouldn’t be allowed to fight professionally
Yea.. how can he get licenced with no amature background?

Yea.. how can he get licenced with no amature background?
Freddie Flintoff got licensed without an ammie background. I think Rio will get his no problem.

Freddie Flintoff got licensed without an ammie background. I think Rio will get his no problem.

He’s been knocked back already. Don’t think Freddie was so old and also being a big hw probably makes it easier to make a decent match up for a novice
Ferdinand will be CW tops, he could probably fight LHW, so finding an opponent that isn’t going to spark him within a round is probably a bit tougher. they can’t stick him in with a fat out of shape fighter like Freddie had.

Kind of confused behind negativity here?

1- Rio is already rich
2- He isnt trying to become the next champ of the world
3- He just wants to fight

He isn't gaining anything publicy by winning or losing. Seems like it is just for his own personal value?

He’s been knocked back already. Don’t think Freddie was so old and also being a big hw probably makes it easier to make a decent match up for a novice
Ferdinand will be CW tops, he could probably fight LHW, so finding an opponent that isn’t going to spark him within a round is probably a bit tougher. they can’t stick him in with a fat out of shape fighter like Freddie had.
Well I stand corrected. Really thought if they put a cricketer like Freddie through then it would be no issue for Ferdinand being an ex footie player. I suppose age could be a big factor.

Kind of confused behind negativity here?

1- Rio is already rich
2- He isnt trying to become the next champ of the world
3- He just wants to fight

He isn't gaining anything publicy by winning or losing. Seems like it is just for his own personal value?

He can fight - as an amateur or in a white collar event. No need for him to turn pro, other than some kind of ego requirement

Feel bad for Rio but understand why.

Both Flintoff and Elba's fights were part of a TV show, with the former also having Frank Warren involved too, putting it on Boxnation.

They also both wanted one off contests and the opponents they got were hand picked and especially in Flintoff's case, brought in to lose. The guy knocked him down, looked worried then didn't do anything else.

Rio seemed actually serious about it so more of a worry he'd get hurt.

He can fight - as an amateur or in a white collar event. No need for him to turn pro, other than some kind of ego requirement

I dont disagree, but still doesnt answer the question regarding why the negativity towards him for it.

Back