Rest time between sets on 5x5s?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What is the rest times for 5x5?

And besides 5x5 how long do you guys rest for on your routines?

What is the rest times for 5x5?

And besides 5x5 how long do you guys rest for on your routines?

If you're doing strength training, it's recommended that you get anywhere from 3-8 minutes of rest between sets. When I'm training, it takes me about 5 minutes to get fully rested.

Taking a good rest time when strength training isn't lazy or being a bitch. You're waiting for your body to completely recharge it's ATP levels between sets and that takes several minutes. You train cardio and muscular endurance later. So don't try and rush your work set rest times. If you rush, you'll get away from training your CNS and your ATP levels will be diminished, leaving you sub par. Do your set, wait 3 minutes and see how you feel. If you are still a little tired, take another 2 minutes.

Like I said, I take exactly 5 minutes of rest between my strength training sets and it works great for me. Any heavy major compound movement that includes all heavy variations of squat, deadlift, and presses are long rests. When it comes to accessory work like weighed dips/pullups, glute ham raise, pushups, pull downs... et cetera then I bring it down to 2 minutes of rest. That's supposed to be work that brings blood flow to the muscles, provides time under tension for muscle hypertrophy, and endurance then you cut down rest. For bodyweight stuff I bring it down to 45 seconds of rest.

Back