Resistance training for optimal health

bjjpepperz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I drive 35-40 mins to attend my BJJ classes. I rarely ever miss because I just love it. True motivation is there without trying.

Contrary to that, my “weight lifting gym” is 5 mins away and I never go. I did weight train consistently for 2 years before discovering BJJ. (Forced myself to go and never felt like it.)

The issue is: all the health research I’ve ever done points to weight training being the closest thing to “holy grail of health” that we can do.

Especially as we get older. I am 37 years old now and it will never be “easier” for me to lift then it is right now.

I’ve noticed I’ve been beating myself up over not going the past 12 months or so... gone through spurts of saying “forget it, I just don’t enjoy it” but I’d be ignorant and foolish not to do it for health reasons.

FWIW- I’m not talking about being a mass building bodybuilder (though I do want those gains too)... this is more for anti-aging / health.

Can anyone relate and have you had any insights that helped you change?

get your ass kicked enough and youll look for any advantage you can get lol

Train for Strength...5 rep range

Deadlift (The King of all exercises)
Squat
Bench
Military Press
Rows

They determined that leg strength especially was a VERY important factor when it came to physical function and mortality/longevity.

The Barbell can turn back the clock man

You don't even need to go to the gym to do resistance training, you could build you own gym if you have space or doing bodyweight exercises with the tools you have around you or go to a local park.

Just be creative, there are lots of ways to train your body and yes, a little bit of strength training will make you deadlier on the mats and prevent injuries, but nothing miraculous.

Back