Resistance band punch bag workout

DoubleAAZ

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi I have just set up a punch bag in my shed and I have secured some anchors to a wall behind me. I have been using the resistance bands (fairly low strength) for jabs and crosses. When not using the bands I feel a shit load faster although I am wary that it assists with the snap back after landing the punch. Are there any major pitfalls with this type of training? The shed is already narrow so limiting the ability to move around the bag isn't really a new issue. Thoughts?

Its a fantastic method for building speed and power, no harm in it at all. The only downside to it is that throwing hooks and uppercuts doesnt really work. Not unless you set up some sort of multi band apparatus that works in all 3 directions of movement.

Use it as a warm up as opposed to the whole workout.

I can just see TS now, his shed looks like some CrossFit double dutch, hybrid nightmare.

I wish it was only that bad. I got spiders, dust and dead frogs for company and rusty York weights. So the company is definitely better than a crossfit whateverthefuckyoucallit.

Easier thing to do i'd say is one handed drags while moving in punch form.

Or find something you can push around with punch form.

Or if neither option is available, do isometric punch form pushes against a wall.

That will put pop into your straits and turn your jab into a stopper.

Last edited:
A while back, I saw a youtube video of a thai practicing his clinch with a band wrapped around the heavy bag. I thought it was a pretty good idea.

Can you post the video....
I couldn't find the video that I remember after a quick search. But I found this one:

[yt]

The video I remember used the band in the same way but tighter into the bag, where they worked knees and elbows. The band made them work to create enough distance throw the elbows/knees.

I couldn't find the video that I remember after a quick search. But I found this one:

[yt]

The video I remember used the band in the same way but tighter into the bag, where they worked knees and elbows. The band made them work to create enough distance throw the elbows/knees.

Thanks

Back