researcher attacked by far right after she uncovers Jingle Bells' racist past

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jingle-bells-research-racist-backlash-1.4459442

Canadian researcher faces far-right backlash after research uncovers Jingle Bells' racist past
'I've had a lot of hate mail and harassment because of it. All for Jingle Bells.'

A Canadian teaching at Boston University in the U.S. is facing severe backlash online after she published a research paper outlining the racist origins of the beloved Christmas song Jingle Bells.

"It has been quite surreal. It's been a crash course in public relations and internet trolling," said Kyna Hamill, a lecturer at Boston University, and graduate of the University of Ottawa and University of Alberta.

For years, Hamill has been studying the history of the song Jingle Bells, but only recently uncovered the song's racist past.

In a peer-reviewed research paper published in September, she says the song was originally performed in blackface in a minstrel show as One Horse Open Sleigh at Ordway Hall in Boston, Mass., in September 1857.

She writes that the composer "capitalized on minstrel music and entered upon a 'safe' ground for satirizing black participation in northern winter activities."

She says the story was picked up and misrepresented by right-leaning news outlets across the U.S., including Fox News and Breitbart. Her name — #KynaHamill — has also become a hashtag on Twitter.

Loony Liberal Boston University Professor #KynaHamill claims ‘Jingle Bells’ is a racist song!

She must also think 'White Christmas' is a KKK rally song!@BU_Tweets #Christmas #Boston pic.twitter.com/OlOoC3AZiB

@princezip
"It seems that the work that I've been talking about on Jingle Bells ... has been absolutely misreported or reported very irresponsibly," she tells CBC Daybreak South host Chris Walker in her first interview since the backlash.

"It's been pretty stressful because I've had a lot of hate mail and harassment because of it. All for Jingle Bells."

Certain media outlets have characterized Hamill as saying the song itself is racist and should be shunned, which Hamill denies.

I certainly can't believe the crazy assholes on the alt right would get worked up about something like this. Also, apparently they're trying to destroy Star Wars for reasons that are almost certainly not racist: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/st...klash-alt-right-female-characters-1201910095/

This reminds me of the talk about the Christmas song that everyone says sounds rapey but if you go through it with how words were used at the time it came out it's far from rapey.

File in the "who gives a shit" cabinet for me.

This reminds me of the talk about the Christmas song that everyone says sounds rapey but if you go through it with how words were used at the time it came out it's far from rapey.

File in the "who gives a shit" cabinet for me.
That song is super rapey. Don't love something just because it's a tradition.

Title should be:
Lady criticized on the internet..... literally Hitler.

Can you imagine people getting angry at their beloved traditions being called racist? It's just shocking

Well, I’m not suggesting that anyone kill the lady, but the world would absolutely be a better place if race-baiting , attention whoring cockroaches like her were dead.

Since when are death threats considered to be criticism? Are their constructive death threats, which are slightly better?

Who gives one quarter of an eighth of a third of a fuck?

Dump.

Since when are death threats considered to be criticism? Are their constructive death threats, which are slightly better?
Bro it's the internet what are you going to do?

Post a Hitchens video on YouTube and watch how many fucked up comments come up or better yet go play a few rounds of COD to get an in-depth look at the ALT Reicht!

What are you gonna do? Label them far right extremists too?

Well, I’m not suggesting that anyone kill the lady, but the world would absolutely be a better place if race-baiting cockroaches like her were dead.

How is she race-baiting? She didn't condemn the song, she didn't call for it to be removed or anything remotely like social justice activism. She did a research project that concluded that its origins were in satirizing the involvement of blacks in winter activities and fucktards on the internet decided she was race-baiting and that they should threaten to kill her.

What should she have done differently, in your eyes?

You have to take by the time period it was written.

Good girls didn't stay at their fiance or boyfriends house.

If it happens good girls would say they had a little too much to drink and that's why it happened.

I'm more amazed that someone's taking the song jingle bells and trying to find something racist about it.

Bro it's the internet what are you going to do?

Post a Hitchens video on YouTube and watch how many fucked up comments come up or better yet go play a few rounds of COD to get an in-depth look at the ALT Reicht!

What are you gonna do? Label them far right extremists too?

We shouldn't label someone a far-right extremist when they take part in a campaign of death threats over political ideology? What do you think DOES deserve to be labeled far-right extremism?

Back