Research progressing for artificial wombs. Implications for abortion?

alexdlrg

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/26/simulating-moms-womb-in-research-to-help-earliest-preemies/

"Researchers are creating an artificial womb to improve care for extremely premature babies — and remarkable animal testing suggests the first-of-its-kind watery incubation so closely mimics mom that it just might work."

I never thought it made sense, but many people condone abortion up to the point of viability. Would the existence of a reliable artificial womb change your stance on abortion? Would you start condemning abortions at 20 weeks that you previously condoned?

I have always taken the view that life is a better choice than death.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/26/simulating-moms-womb-in-research-to-help-earliest-preemies/

"Researchers are creating an artificial womb to improve care for extremely premature babies — and remarkable animal testing suggests the first-of-its-kind watery incubation so closely mimics mom that it just might work."

I never thought it made sense, but many people condone abortion up to the point of viability. Would the existence of a reliable artificial womb change your stance on abortion? Would you start condemning abortions at 20 weeks that you previously condoned?

I was never "well, at a certain point of pregnancy then it because unethical" - was just straight anti-abortion.

However, this seems like it could be great to keep some of these babies alive.

Nah fuck em.

Praise Abort

My issue is really that I don't want unwanted babies weighing on the system. Their parents don't want them so they're probably going to be raised poorly and grow up to be shitty mouth breathers.

Last edited:
Loosen some of the hurdles on adoption and offer that as a 1st option to abortion. Adoption would likely be more viable for many American's if it wasn't so prohibitively expensive and the whole process so lengthy and cumbersome. It's one of the reasons so many adoptive parents go outside of the country where restrictions are looser.

Planned Parenthood and some liberals love to abort babies. They get money in exchange for baby body parts.

Interesting implications. A couple of questions it brings up:
Will people who want to have kids but not go through the most difficult parts of child birth use this technology?
Who is supposed to subsidize the artificial birth of unwanted pregnancies?

EDIT: Lastly, a technology to improve care for a premature babies sounds easy enough to market, but is there even a marketable reason to develop a technology that would otherwise be used to artificially carry an unwanted fetus? It's a solution without a problem.

Last edited:
If this becomes a viable option, i think abortion should become illegal, except in the most extreme circumstances.

I may be pro-death penalty, but if your only argument for abortions is "unwanted children become shitty adults. therefore we must kill them," then you should probably consider how that logic extends into other beliefs you hold.

98.7% of abortions in the US happen before 21 weeks. The technology would be for babies who are 23 weeks and older. Basically it's about saving premature babies for parents who want them. Trying to shoehorn a discussion about abortion where it doesn't apply 99% of the time is dishonest.

If this becomes a viable option, i think abortion should become illegal, except in the most extreme circumstances.

I may be pro-death penalty, but if your only argument for abortions is "unwanted children become shitty adults. therefore we must kill them," then you should probably consider how that logic extends into other beliefs you hold.

Its more the money spent on them. The death penalty is actually more expensive than life incarceration while killing a child before its even born prevents money being spent on them in the first place.

Its more the money spent on them. The death penalty is actually more expensive than life incarceration while killing a child before its even born prevents money being spent on them in the first place.

The death penalty doesn't have to be more expensive though. The Boston Bombers we know are guilty and so is Dylan Roof the evidence is overwhelming that they are. So let's make it quick and hang them or shoot them or do lethal injection.

I am pro death penalty but would like to see reforms at the state level. It should always be an option at the Federal level especially for acts of terrorism.

I hope this is sarcasm.

No, it wasn't. I don't know why you have sentimental value attached to some piece of meat that was, at best, literally less self aware than a fish. If people find use for the foetuses in research and are willing to pay why should planned parenthood not accept the money? should they just give them away for free because "muh feelings"?

The death penalty doesn't have to be more expensive though. The Boston Bombers we know are guilty and so is Dylan Roof the evidence is overwhelming that they are. So let's make it quick and hang them or shoot them or do lethal injection.

I am pro death penalty but would like to see reforms at the state level. It should always be an option at the Federal level especially for acts of terrorism.

Thats perfectly fine, I'm talking about fighting cases in courts where people on death row are given extra appeals (for good reason as around 5% are innocent). Roof and the bombers admitted to guilt so fuck em.

I have said before that technology will make the abortion debate obsolete. One other thing we may need is make all humans naturally sterile. Sex is only for fun and no babies ever come out of it. You want a baby, go to a doctor, give samples and come back in 9 months. And everyone would be allowed this right. To have children.

You mean like double abortions? We could abort the babies once, put them in the artificial womb and then abort them again?

98.7% of abortions in the US happen before 21 weeks. The technology would be for babies who are 23 weeks and older. Basically it's about saving premature babies for parents who want them. Trying to shoehorn a discussion about abortion where it doesn't apply 99% of the time is dishonest.

Exactly. This technology has zero to do with abortion.

Thats the free market, son. Do you hate America? Do you hate freedom?
The Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back