Republican Supreme Court blockade revisited: Supreme Court about to destroy public unions

Would love to see the prison guard union broken up.

The gop has been trying to crush unions since Reagan. Maybe now they’ll get their way.

Divide and conquer is the only way the capitalist can extract his full measure of wealth from the worker. Can't allow organized labor to possess a tiny bit of leverage and take that 3% of potential future profits.

lol, no I just hate the way the lobby to keep things like marijuana illegal just so more people go to jail.

The move to privatized prisons will almost certainly ensure the death of guard unions. But the same profit incentive that does that will also increase the numbers of non-violent drug offender inmates. It's not the guards who are your enemies.

We're entering a poor man's version of the Lochner Era.

I seriously think there'd be 4 votes to overturn Wickard v. Filburn (or Gonzales v Raich) at this point. If Republicans flip a seat, including Kennedy, we're going to see some drastic changes in jurisprudence

I dont care much about public unions, a lot of the benefits they give should be law and available to everyone.

I dont know what to say about this. I have been trying to preach non-violent political revolution, but if this went down, my first reaction would be a more militant one. I guess in reality this is the kind of crisis that would be an incredible opportunity for local's, and generating the crisis to light a fire under people's asses.

This was an entirely predictable consequence of Trump's victory, which you enthusiastically supported.

What are your thoughts on Unions to negotiate for members but allowing the companies to pay non-union members less formthe same job because they were not part of the negotiation? Seems like it would make both sides happy.

Fine by me.

Fine by me.

giphy.gif

Workers' rights are something that we're going to have to lose and fight to get back. There is no stopping the 40 year slide we've been in, especially with this Supreme Court and the current makeup of Congress. America believes in the freedom of capital but not in the freedom of labor. The proper response would be a giant nationwide strike, but there's no chance of that happening.
Any clue as to what happened to the fight us Americans once had for workers' rights? I was a member of the Sheet Metal union(massive worldwide union) and we had pitiful attendance to union meetings. Maybe a complete overhaul of unions is needed and losing this battle could actually be the spark to get us back on the right path.

The move to privatized prisons will almost certainly ensure the death of guard unions. But the same profit incentive that does that will also increase the numbers of non-violent drug offender inmates. It's not the guards who are your enemies.

The guards aren't my issue it's the union. Even if something else will take that union's place that doesn't change the fact that the union is actively lobbying to keep things like marijuana illegal

If corrections officer unions didn't lobby our politicians for stupid strict laws drug laws I would care more.

in 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent $1 million opposing Proposition 5, which would have
  • Expanded drug treatment diversion programs for criminal offenders.
  • Modified parole supervision procedures.
  • Expanded prison and parole rehabilitation programs.
  • Allowed inmates to earn additional time off their prison sentences for participation and performance in rehabilitation programs.
  • Reduced certain penalties for marijuana possession.
  • Made miscellaneous changes to state laws governing the administration of rehabilitation and parole programs for offenders.

They killed prop 5 for selfish reasons and did harm to the public.

Any clue as to what happened to the fight us Americans once had for workers' rights? I was a member of the Sheet Metal union(massive worldwide union) and we had pitiful attendance to union meetings. Maybe a complete overhaul of unions is needed and losing this battle could actually be the spark to get us back on the right path.
I think a mix of worker complacency, corporate propaganda, legal erosion, and union corruption- in that order. Unions seem to be adapting pretty well, but it's a long struggle to restore their reputation. Unskilled labor has been all but forgotten too. They don't even know they should have rights. I think the idea of overhauling unions is the least important, but gets the most attention. Just my opinion though. There's no substitute for developing an appreciation of US labor history.

And, as much as I would like to sterilize this very depressing and alarming topic from partisan fighting, the clear fact is that, if Merrick Garland had been appointed, public union members like teachers and prison guards would keep their wage and working conditions security.

Because Mitch McConnell and the GOP blocked Garland, stole his nomination, and then gave it to Gorsuch, millions of Americans will lose valuable wages and working conditions in the long run.
Nobody stole Garland's nomination. Obama was a lame duck president with less than one year left in office when Scalia died . McConnell did the country a great service and never went beyond his constitutional Authority. Garland is not the Centrist the left makes him out to be.

The Supreme Court is set to make a ruling that will respect the rights of the individual, and end a form of legalized forced association.

I hope that the Court decides to strike down such forced associations. It would be a great victory for individual liberty.
No one should be forced to give money to people who spend it on politics that they do not believe in. Seems like common sense to me.

What are your thoughts on Unions to negotiate for members but allowing the companies to pay non-union members less formthe same job because they were not part of the negotiation? Seems like it would make both sides happy.
I don't think anyone would have a problem if the unions were not spending the money backing political candidates that they did not agree with. If they were spending the money that they donate to politicians instead to help the actual workers who pay them they probably wouldn't mind paying the dues.

No one should be forced to give money to people who spend it on politics that they do not believe in. Seems like common sense to me.

That's already been the law since the 1970s, dumb ass. For the past forty years, no one has been forced, in the private or public sector, to give money to political action through unions.

Nobody stole Garland's nomination. Obama was a lame duck president with less than one year left in office when Scalia died . McConnell did the country a great service and never went beyond his constitutional Authority. Garland is not the Centrist the left makes him out to be.

Never before in US history has a Congress, with 11 months left in a term, completely shirked their Constitutional duties and refused to even hold hearings on a nominee constitutionally enshrined to the President's discretion.

Also, you'd have to be a genuine moron to think McConnell is any kind of patriot: his main concerns was keeping the Supreme Court from abridging the conservative precedent on campaign finance, which has enabled him to become one of the wealthiest politicians in North America, despite living in a shit-poor state, and without subjecting his riches to any meaningful scrutiny.

Also, Garland was the fucking definition of a centrist. So much so that i was pissed when he was appointed.

This was an entirely predictable consequence of Trump's victory, which you enthusiastically supported.

And trump winning was entirely predictable, when Obama and the dems sold this country out on obamacare, the gfc, and the ME.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back