Elections Republican Martha McSally concedes Arizona Senate race to Democrat Kyrsten Sinema

So should we give her a medal or something?

Yeah. :D

kyrsten-sinema-gives-her-victory-speech750x422.jpg

She's a comparatively awesome politician and candidate anyway. Lol @ fucking crushing Maricopa County and taking a state Hillary got BTFO. There's absolutely no comparison. Her star is going to rise big time in DC over the next six years.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kyrsten-sinemas-election-win-in-arizona-is-a-big-bisexual-leap-forward

On Monday night, the result was official: centrist Democratic candidate—and bisexual woman—Sinema will become the first openly bisexual senator in United States history, in addition to being the first woman Arizona has ever elected to the Senate. She now joins Oregon Governor Kate Brown, who was just re-elected, as one of the highest-ranking bisexual elected officials in a country where they number few and far between.

In fact, according to a 2017 Victory Institute report, less than 2 percent of all LGBT elected officials in the country are bisexual, even though they are estimated to constitute a slight majority of the LGBT community [it isn't slight]. That makes Sinema’s win at such a high level a breakthrough moment, according to longtime bisexual advocate Robyn Ochs.

Bisexual people face particularly intense social stigma—which helps explain why they are much less likely than gay men or lesbians to be out to their peers. According to Pew Research Center data, fewer than a third of bisexual people are out to their inner circles, as compared to nearly three-quarters of gay men and lesbians. Against that backdrop, a bisexual senator is indeed a Big Deal, as evidenced by the joyful responses to her win.

In a 2013 Washington Post profile, Sinema explained, “For me it just doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t matter if that other person is a man or a woman.” But she also demurred from questions about the precedent she set as the only out bisexual member of Congress saying, for example, “I don’t understand why it’s a big deal.” (The Sinema campaign did not immediately respond to The Daily Beast’s request for comment for this article.)

One especially amusing Sinema comment about her sexual orientation was documented in a 2013 Elle profile: After she defended LGBT people in a speech by saying, “We’re simply people like everyone else who want and deserve respect,” she was asked by the press what she had meant by “we’re.”

“Duh, I’m bisexual,” Sinema reportedly replied.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/us/politics/arizona-election-kyrsten-sinema.html

With Republican politics in Arizona looking less like the brand practiced by senators like John McCain and Jeff Flake — independent-minded, relatively bipartisan at times — many centrist voters in the state’s G.O.P. are increasingly politically homeless.

That has had an impact in suburban areas like vote-rich Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix. Mr. McCain and President Trump both carried the county in 2016, but Ms. Sinema was ahead there by nearly four percentage points over the Republican candidate, Representative Martha McSally.

Ms. Sinema’s win signals that a political realignment in Arizona is possible for federal offices. Hillary Clinton lost the state in 2016 by about 3.5 percentage points; Ms. Sinema was a different kind of candidate, with a different message, and she won statewide by about 1.7 points.

Although Ms. McSally tried to paint Ms. Sinema as a far-left candidate by drawing on her history in the Arizona legislature and past antiwar activities, Ms. Sinema had a voting record in the House that demonstrated a more independent agenda and moderate positions.

In contrast, while Ms. McSally insisted that she supported health care coverage for patients with pre-existing conditions, her voting record on health care bills in the House told a different story. She voted repeatedly to repeal the health care law that covered such patients.

Democrats picked up statehouse seats in suburban areas where such a switch would have been nearly impossible four or perhaps even two years ago, and they look set to gain other seats in state government. They now have a 5-4 advantage in the Congressional delegation, furthering the representation of younger, more educated and in many cases tech-employed voters who do not support President Trump’s politics.

Nailed it. Exciting times for the future.

Yeah. Exciting. <1>

Yeah. :D

kyrsten-sinema-gives-her-victory-speech750x422.jpg

She's a comparatively awesome politician and candidate anyway. Lol @ fucking crushing Maricopa County and taking a state Hillary got BTFO. There's absolutely no comparison. Her star is going to rise big time in DC over the next six years.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kyrsten-sinemas-election-win-in-arizona-is-a-big-bisexual-leap-forward

On Monday night, the result was official: centrist Democratic candidate—and bisexual woman—Sinema will become the first openly bisexual senator in United States history, in addition to being the first woman Arizona has ever elected to the Senate. She now joins Oregon Governor Kate Brown, who was just re-elected, as one of the highest-ranking bisexual elected officials in a country where they number few and far between.

In fact, according to a 2017 Victory Institute report, less than 2 percent of all LGBT elected officials in the country are bisexual, even though they are estimated to constitute a slight majority of the LGBT community [it isn't slight]. That makes Sinema’s win at such a high level a breakthrough moment, according to longtime bisexual advocate Robyn Ochs.

Bisexual people face particularly intense social stigma—which helps explain why they are much less likely than gay men or lesbians to be out to their peers. According to Pew Research Center data, fewer than a third of bisexual people are out to their inner circles, as compared to nearly three-quarters of gay men and lesbians. Against that backdrop, a bisexual senator is indeed a Big Deal, as evidenced by the joyful responses to her win.

In a 2013 Washington Post profile, Sinema explained, “For me it just doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t matter if that other person is a man or a woman.” But she also demurred from questions about the precedent she set as the only out bisexual member of Congress saying, for example, “I don’t understand why it’s a big deal.” (The Sinema campaign did not immediately respond to The Daily Beast’s request for comment for this article.)

One especially amusing Sinema comment about her sexual orientation was documented in a 2013 Elle profile: After she defended LGBT people in a speech by saying, “We’re simply people like everyone else who want and deserve respect,” she was asked by the press what she had meant by “we’re.”

“Duh, I’m bisexual,” Sinema reportedly replied.

I really wish there would come a day where someone's sexual orientation ISN'T used as some type of "badge of honor" when it comes to being appointed to a high position of authority.

"Oh! She's Bi-sexual? Who cares."

"She's gay? What's your point?"

congrats arizona! you just elected someone that abhors you! enjoy!

Just like she guevara in New York, this gon be good (well not really for the people of Arizona and the 14th district of NY)

I really wish there would come a day where someone's sexual orientation ISN'T used as some type of "badge of honor" when it comes to being appointed to a high position of authority.

"Oh! She's Bi-sexual? Who cares."

"She's gay? What's your point?"

An extensive history of state-sponsored repression, denial of equal rights and sociocultural stigma makes it a big deal, dude. It isn't LGBT people who politicized it and made it other people's business when it didn't have to be, that is the state and society at large so now you're dealing with it. We've almost got two of three out of the way so thankfully you'll probably live to see that day.

If the right was smart (big IF) they would be looking to poach votes beyond closet cases. There's plenty of non-hetero people out there who are economically right-wing, for small government, limited immigration, not huge on the multicultural diversity push and the left's tolerance for things like Islam. Where do you place your priorities? Unfortunately, so much of your base is still 'ardently' religious (and thus homophobic) itself.

Last edited:
So this is how Trump guys feel when they drink liberal tears. I can see the appeal.

New Yorker: Kyrsten Sinema’s Victory in Arizona May Be the Democrats’ Biggest Win of the Trump Era

Just like she guevara in New York, this gon be good (well not really for the people of Arizona and the 14th district of NY)

How can you compare Kyrsten to that noob? She's a 3x elected House rep already and moving up to the Senate. The district Sinema represented here constitutes the University & High-Tech business corridor; she won her elections from 2012-2016 with 48.7%, 54.6% and 60.9% of the vote and just flipped a fucking 30-year held red Senate seat. We have been very happy with her; federal policy priorities are health care, job growth, national security and veterans benefits.

https://fitzpatrick.house.gov/media...fitzpatrick-sinema-introduce-made-america-act

Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) and Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) introduced legislation this week that would support American manufacturing and incentivize businesses to increase domestic production. The Made in America Act of 2017 [H.R. 3850] creates a voluntary, standardized labeling program that would allow consumers to easily identify the extent to which products are American-made.

“American manufacturing means American jobs. People in my community understand that when they buy American they’re not only buying quality products, they’re helping American businesses – and American workers – in their neighborhoods and across the country,” said Fitzpatrick. “The Made in America Act would connect American consumers to American manufacturers like never before by creating a definitive, standardized definition of American-made goods. I’m grateful for the support of Congresswoman Sinema in working to advance this bipartisan priority.”

“Helping American consumers purchase American-made products is a win-win,” said Sinema. “It’s simple: buying American-made products supports American jobs and gives America consumers what they want. I’ll continue working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to ensure Arizona businesses, manufacturers, and entrepreneurs have the support they need to grow and thrive.”

S1.png

S2.png

S3.png

New Yorker: Kyrsten Sinema’s Victory in Arizona May Be the Democrats’ Biggest Win of the Trump Era

How can you compare Kyrsten to that noob? She's a 3x elected House rep already and moving up to the Senate. The district Sinema represented here constitutes the University & High-Tech business corridor; she won her elections from 2012-2016 with 48.7%, 54.6% and 60.9% of the vote and just flipped a fucking 30-year held red Senate seat. We have been very happy with her; federal policy priorities are health care, job growth, national security and veterans benefits.

https://fitzpatrick.house.gov/media...fitzpatrick-sinema-introduce-made-america-act

Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) and Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) introduced legislation this week that would support American manufacturing and incentivize businesses to increase domestic production. The Made in America Act of 2017 [H.R. 3850] creates a voluntary, standardized labeling program that would allow consumers to easily identify the extent to which products are American-made.

“American manufacturing means American jobs. People in my community understand that when they buy American they’re not only buying quality products, they’re helping American businesses – and American workers – in their neighborhoods and across the country,” said Fitzpatrick. “The Made in America Act would connect American consumers to American manufacturers like never before by creating a definitive, standardized definition of American-made goods. I’m grateful for the support of Congresswoman Sinema in working to advance this bipartisan priority.”

“Helping American consumers purchase American-made products is a win-win,” said Sinema. “It’s simple: buying American-made products supports American jobs and gives America consumers what they want. I’ll continue working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to ensure Arizona businesses, manufacturers, and entrepreneurs have the support they need to grow and thrive.”

S1.png

S2.png

S3.png

I applaud your effort, but many people just can't see past the D next to her name.

She seems like a level-headed centrist, oh the humanity :rolleyes:

An extensive history of state-sponsored repression, denial of equal rights and sociocultural stigma makes it a big deal, dude. It isn't LGBT people who politicized it and made it other people's business when it didn't have to be, that is the state and society at large so now you're dealing with it. We've almost got two of three out of the way so thankfully you'll probably live to see that day.

If the right was smart (big IF) they would be looking to poach votes beyond closet cases. There's plenty of non-hetero people out there who are economically right-wing, for small government, limited immigration, not huge on the multicultural diversity push and the left's tolerance for things like Islam. Where do you place your priorities? Unfortunately, so much of your base is still 'ardently' religious (and thus homophobic) itself.

That's really uncalled for.

Painting everyone that has their own religion(and practices it) as Homophobic. <{cruzshake}>

You don't know them personally.

Many of them more than likely are not against LBGT but have differing opinions on Marriage and the like.

That's not Homophobia.

That's a difference of opinion based on their own faith.

That's really uncalled for.

Painting everyone that has their own religion(and practices it) as Homophobic. <{cruzshake}>

You don't know them personally.

Many of them more than likely are not against LBGT but have differing opinions on Marriage and the like.

That's not Homophobia.

That's a difference of opinion based on their own faith.

Pretty much all major religions are specifically against gay people.

Republicans want to court the racists and homophobes then dont bitch when you lose the minority vote.

Looks fine to me. Dems like to pack like sardines in urban centers. They don’t deserve a new district for every city block.
Yeah, sardine cans... long, squiggly, irrationally-shaped sardine cans.

Looks fine to me. Dems like to pack like sardines in urban centers. They don’t deserve a new district for every city block.

It must just be a coincidence then that the blue districts are the only ones with less than 90% white population.

I wonder how they managed that?

I applaud your effort, but many people just can't see past the D next to her name.

She seems like a level-headed centrist, oh the humanity :rolleyes:

Yeah, a radical leftist who thinks the #AbolishICE people are spastics. Sinema was a social worker and activist in the early 2000s (who the fuck still supports the invasion of Iraq?!) but the Taliban shit is a joke and she's been quite decidedly centre-left since holding public office.

Yeah, sardine cans... long, squiggly, irrationally-shaped sardine cans.

What that map actually shows is that Democrats are concentrated in urban centers. You're under the mistaken impression that districts must be drawn to reflect the binary partisan composition of the electorate based on recent POTUS election results. However, there is no such requirement. In fact, the reason we have districts is to prevent concentrated population centers from dictating policy statewide (similar to the reason we have the electoral college). Voters can, and often do, vote for candidates without regard for party affiliation.

Moreover, as a glaring counterexample, consider the fact that Democrats just won a slim majority in the House. Trump beat Hillary Clinton handily in Iowa (about 10% margin), yet the Democrats now control 3 of 4 Iowa congressional districts. Now Iowa looks like this:
lP9xnIV.png

Is Iowa gerrymandered too? After all, the districts are drawn to maximize the influence of urban centers and surrounding suburbs.

Back