reportedly uncontacted indigenous tribe the Amazon massacred by Brazilian gold miners

Because ethnicity is a combination of genetics and culture.

Do you think Alexandre Dumas was an African writer?
I was asking a yes or no question. I don't know the question you are answering. I was speaking in terms of genetics.

Last edited:
I was asking a yes or no question. I don't know the question you are answering.

Whether someone belongs to a certain group depends on more factors than mere genetics. The pardo population of Brazil were raised as Portuguese not as slaves.

No one's addressing the obvious point: Did they (Indians) attack the miners or not?

Well, it depends on whose account of the story you believe, but the Indians are dead so their version is gone. I would say yes. These Indians have been photographed and videotaped throwing spears and arrows at low flying airplanes. They probably thought it was a big noisy bird. Yes, the are hostile to anyone who is not part of their tribe.

No one's addressing the obvious point: did they attack the miners or not?
you mean were they rightfully defending their territory, homes and obviously their lives? maybe, we'll never know since they got slaughtered and the miners bragged about it.

I thought the territory of Brazil belongs to the Brazilian government? Do they have deeds for the land?

I feel bad for them. It's the human reaction to feel bad for them. But it's 2017. You can't go running around on land that you don't own throwing spears at people anymore. These people need to catch up with the times because their lifestyle isn't legal anymore.

If these people don't comply with the law and keep pretending it's the year 500 BC, obviously things like this are going to happen. It'd be better for everyone, them included, if they got birth certificates, government IDs, went to school, and started working + paying taxes.
Native lands are protected i believe

I thought the territory of Brazil belongs to the Brazilian government? Do they have deeds for the land?

I feel bad for them. It's the human reaction to feel bad for them. But it's 2017. You can't go running around on land that you don't own throwing spears at people anymore.

These people need to catch up with the times because their lifestyle isn't legal anymore. If these people don't comply with the law and keep pretending it's the year 500 BC, obviously things like this are going to happen. It'd be better for everyone, them included, if they got birth certificates, government IDs, went to school, and started working + paying taxes.
native lands are protected, and it would absolutely not be better for them to assimilate. educate yourself and stop talking out of your ass.

Whether someone belongs to a certain group depends on more factors than mere genetics. The pardo population of Brazil were raised as Portuguese not as slaves.
ok, I was not disputing that culture is important in terms of ethnicity. I was speaking in terms of genetics.

Last edited:
What do you think their life expectancy is? Do they take their kids to the doctor when they get sick? How many of them are living in poverty? Do the children get a quality education? Are they drinking clean water?
are they on drugs? Are they selling drugs? Are they not raised by their own mother and father? Alot of people in favelas can say that and if they integrated that is straight to where they would be going.

I thought the territory of Brazil belongs to the Brazilian government? Do they have deeds for the land? These people need to catch up with the times because their lifestyle isn't legal anymore.

Please refer to my earlier post #117. Why would the Indians need deeds for their land? I could build a small log cabin in isolated parts of Montana or Wyoming and no one would know I was there.

'FUNAI' is responsible for mapping out and protecting lands traditionally inhabited and used by the Indians. It is charged with preventing invasions of indigenous territories by outsiders.

What do you mean their lifestyle isn't legal anymore? What does legal have to do with it? It may be outdated but it is not illegal.

you mean were they rightfully defending their territory, homes and obviously their lives? maybe, we'll never know since they got slaughtered and the miners bragged about it.

It's pretty easy to envision a situation where the miners are seen as threatening, and so the tribe per-emptively attacks them without being familiar with guns and being severely overpowered.

To summarize:
<escalate99>

Latin America as a whole has a pretty poor record when it comes to prosecuting crime, especially murder. Hence a high murder rate. I doubt anything happens.

Holy shit, you're a doofus.

Latin America, like Africa, was poorly colonized and economically exploited by Europe, then dominated largely by the United States, and is comprised of fairly young countries of multifarious cultures.

Their high murder rate is due to extremely high poverty rates. And their aversion to authoritarian policing (frankly very refreshing compared to their northern neighbor, is due to their experiences with imperialism and police states, such as existed previously in many of the countries).

I realize you likely did not mean to come off so daft, but this statement comes off as ignorant and racist.

It's pretty easy to envision a situation where the miners are seen as threatening, and so the tribe per-emptively attacks them without being familiar with guns and being severely overpowered.

To summarize:
<escalate99>

It's pretty easy to envision an alternate scenario which is actually supported by the reported facts: that the tribesmen were unnecessarily slaughtered and their bodies disposed of.

Why are you trying to surmise a justification of mowing down a bunch of unarmed people with guns?

What do you think their life expectancy is? Do they take their kids to the doctor when they get sick? How many of them are living in poverty? Do the children get a quality education? Are they drinking clean water?

The Indians were living happily until the 'white' man showed up and 'fucked' everything up. Just like here in the United States. Well, come to think of it, any time the 'white' man showed up anywhere in the planet things got fucked up. Come to think of it not just earth, but the moon also. Look at all the 'trash' the Americans have left there. Humans are the only species in the planet known for killing each other. Yeap, we are a sorry, fucked-up bunch.

It's pretty easy to envision an alternate scenario which is actually supported by the reported facts: that the tribesmen were unnecessarily slaughtered and their bodies disposed of.

Why are you trying to surmise a justification of mowing down a bunch of unarmed people with guns?

Either scenario, yes.

Justification has nothing to do with establishing realistic scenarios

I haven't been following the details of this story though, so if there is evidence leaning towards a pre-meditated slaughter of the tribe then so be it.

ok, I was not disputing that culture is important in terms of ethnicity. I was speaking in terms of genetics.

The thing is that Brazilians encroaching of native is a direct continuation of Portuguese encroaching of natives.,

Brazil is a country built from the ground up as a Portuguese colony and run by their descendants, not a conquered nation or even a nation that was built upon the fusion of 2 peoples.

The thing is that Brazilians encroaching of native is a direct continuation of Portuguese encroaching of natives.,

Brazil is a country built from the ground up as a Portuguese colony and run by their descendants, not a conquered nation or even a nation that was built upon the fusion of 2 peoples.

The quest for wealth and existence of immoral behavior as a part of that is hard to pin down on specific cultures. Seems like a cross cultural phenomenon.

Back