reportedly uncontacted indigenous tribe the Amazon massacred by Brazilian gold miners

Read half, it's a long article.

Sounds odd to say, but at least we are in a day in age where people care about this, and they're going to prosecute the killers.

Sounds odd to say, but at least we are in a day in age where people care about this, and they're going to prosecute the killers.

Originally from Brazil. I would not count on the miners being prosecuted. They claim self defense and the judicial system in that part of the country (actually the whole country) is corrupt. Anytime farmers or miners move into the interior of Brazil in the Amazon, this sort of thing happens. The innocent Indians don't understand how firearms and bullets work.

Read half, it's a long article.

Latin America as a whole has a pretty poor record when it comes to prosecuting crime, especially murder. Hence a high murder rate. I doubt anything happens.

The miners were just trying to get home to their families.

This kind of activity has been going on for centuries

Complete lack of detail as to who the miners worked for.
If they were simply artesian miners why not say so.

Sounds like a script to The Green Inferno 2.

Sad though.

That's terrible my heart goes out to causes like this

Cue Trump: "sounds like people were wrong on many sides. what i want to know is though, was any gold hurt?"

th

was about to make a thread on this. listening to accounts of what happened makes me sick

Cue Trump: "sounds like people were wrong on many sides. what i want to know is though, was any gold hurt?"

th

So, you're implying, without evidence, that the indigenous tribe picked the fight?
You're a bit of a shit, hey?

Originally from Brazil. I would not count on the miners being prosecuted. They claim self defense and the judicial system in that part of the country (actually the whole country) is corrupt. Anytime farmers or miners move into the interior of Brazil in the Amazon, this sort of thing happens. The innocent Indians don't understand how firearms and bullets work.

Latin America as a whole has a pretty poor record when it comes to prosecuting crime, especially murder. Hence a high murder rate. I doubt anything happens.

I hear ya.

I'm trying to look on the bright side that at least there was a news story and an attempt at Prosecuting this one.

In the NYT's article Drudge was linking to they mentioned recent budget cuts for the indigenous affairs agency that monitors indigenous tribes and works to prevent illegal mining and logging. They apparently were forced to close 5 out of 19 bases used for this purpose, due to budget cuts.

The article went on to say that 3 out of those 5 bases were located in the Javari Valley where this incident took place and that the Javari Valley was home to more uncontacted tribes than any other area in the entire world. 20 of the 103 uncontacted tribes of Brazil are located there.

I would be interested in learning the reasoning behind the closure of 60% of the monitoring stations in that one area of indigenous activity. Not that anything would have been any different. It just seems from the way the article describes it, that area is ground zero for indigenous uncontacted tribes, and would be high priority. I'm sure it has something to do with the most efficient allocation of resources coupled with challenges like remoteness. But the article kind of left me hanging in that respect.

Unfortunate story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/world/americas/brazil-amazon-tribe-killings.html

Anyone with the drive to trudge through the Amazon to mine gold is going to be viscious enough to kill people in their way. I don't see a problem here, that gold could help Brazil and those jungle rats mean nothing to anyone other than virtue signalers.
Yes, that gold could help speed up the death of the amazon rain forest and line some green in the pockets of some people with no real skill or contribution to the world besides extracting some metal from the ground.

TSO definitely wins the "Most empathetic poster of the day" award

bullshit, only ancient europeans kill indigenous, any other kind of race on earth would never do something like that for money

Anyone with the drive to trudge through the Amazon to mine gold is going to be viscious enough to kill people in their way. I don't see a problem here, that gold could help Brazil and those jungle rats mean nothing to anyone other than virtue signalers.

and another piece of shit.
Warroom is just full of 'em I guess.

Sad, no information if they were employed by some mining company or on their own. If they are poor chances are they will be imprisoned.

Back