Report: UFC adding real-time, MLB-style stats to live event broadcasts

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
During any given at-bat, Major League Baseball (MLB) fans know just how may pitches are thrown to each batter, how many strikes or foul balls have been incurred, and just how far away the pitcher is from giving up a walk.

That’s because the broadcast features live stats, showing viewers — in real time — every offensive and defensive statistic, a data feature that will be ported over to mixed martial arts (MMA) later this year.

That’s according to a report from New York Post.

“We’re working on a lot of stats,” UFC president Dana White told audience members at the recent Cannes Lions marketing bash. “We want to see the best knockout, its perfect for social media.”

Data sensors will be installed on shorts and gloves, as well as inside the arena, which eliminates the need to have some production plebe planted cageside with a radar gun — unless he’s there uploading smiley faces and poop emoticons.

“We’re going to start creating videos from it that will be shareable with emojis,” UFC owner Ari Emanuel added. “We’re about six months away from that.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...ime-mlb-style-stats-live-event-broadcasts-mma

^^^^^
That site SUCKS. They add editorial comments mixed in so you have no idea who is saying what

Here is the actual SOURCE

-

Mixed Martial Arts junkies are soon going to get MLB-style stats illustrating just how tough the fighters are.

That’s according to a new plan outlined by UFC and owner WME/IMG as the two plan to grow a data business — and possibly gaming — alongside the rough-and-tumble sport.

Speaking at a session at the Cannes Lions marketing bash titled “Survival of the Fittest,” WME boss Ari Emanuel explained how the pop culture juggernaut is aiming to build a data business in part by placing sensors on gloves, on shorts and in the arena.

“We’re working on a lot of stats,” UFC president Dana White, on stage with Emanuel, told the audience. “We want to see the best knock out — its perfect for social media.”

Sensors might detect, for instance, that the last punch was 97 miles an hour and what the impact was, and how many punches fighters are hitting before and after training, White explained.

“We’re going to start creating videos from it that will be shareable with emojis,” Emanuel added. “We’re about six months away from that.”

The session hosted by Adweek’s James Cooper detailed WME/IMG’s $4 billion purchase of the growing sport, which aims to crown the toughest man and woman in the world.

UFC has already made stars such as Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey household names. But the sport is brutal and is as controversial as boxing. One former UFC fighter Tim Hague suffered a serious brain injury earlier this week after an unrelated fight.

Even so, UFC fights can draw as many as 5 million viewers who skew young. In August, UFC’s Conor McGregor will fight boxing champion Floyd Mayweather in an unprecedented fight in Las Vegas. White says oddsmakers are already taking bets on how many pay-per-view sales it will attract: over, or under 4.9 million.

“It’s the biggest fight ever in the history of combat sports,” boasted White, who seemed to like McGregor’s odds.

“If McGregor knocks him out, he will be the biggest star in sports ever,” White said. “If Floyd runs away from him and it turns into a track meet, well we’ll see what happens.”

White told the audience that the toughest fighters were household names across the globe. “The most famous athletes in the world have been the toughest,” he said, naming Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson. “How many people can name a famous cricket player?” he asked the crowd, adding that NFL isn’t popular in Europe.

Fox Sports’ TV rights for UFC expire in 2018. UFC, together with owner WME/IMG, is looking for a fourfold increase to around $450 million, per year, and a 10-year deal, according to a Sports Business report in November.

“We have an exclusive [negotiating] window from July to September,” Emanuel said. “Fox has been incredible partners for us…We’ll see what happens, hopefully everything goes well.”

Who are these stats for exactly?

Don't overcrowd the screen. I'm still trying to figure out what round they're in.

College baseball was tough to watch last week with all 4 corners posting scores from other games, stats, and a banner of what tourney they're in. Get that crap out the way

So the best knockout means the hardest blow to the opponents head?

I don't like the idea of sensors in the gloves and shorts. Seems like your asking for trouble with that

Don't overcrowd the screen. I'm still trying to figure out what round they're in.

College baseball was tough to watch last week with all 4 corners posting scores from other games, stats, and a banner of what tourney they're in. Get that crap out the way
I hear ya; I loathe that round avatar too lol.

we already did jon "apache helicopter" jones and it was stupid. also lol at "biggest star in sports ever"

Why aren't they just putting chips in the fighters heads?

Why aren't they just putting chips in the fighters heads?

"Execute Order 66."

- Dana White

Cody-Order-66.png

I thought I was the only one lol. I don't understand if the bar shows completed rounds or if the last bar is the round they're in.

if they can add a strike force/speed stat it'll be cool, answers some questions, gives usable info for everyone. Examples would be how Diaz's vary power, TJ's punch speed and Brunson's continuous power punches.

I don't like the idea of sensors in the gloves and shorts. Seems like your asking for trouble with that

What about a sensor in the cup that makes it light up and flash when there's a good nut shot?

Will it be able to tell us just how fast gus can run

What about a sensor in the cup that makes it light up and flash when there's a good nut shot?

Tip of the iceberg. Get the scientists working on sensor contact lenses as well for eye pokes.

Back